New! The most detailed Laos printed map in the world coming

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
New! The most detailed Laos printed map in the world soon to be released.

Using the immense data that has made the Laos GPS Map (http://www.LaosGPSMap.com), we are currently working on the most detailed Laos printed map that has ever been produced.

It's a very exciting project as there's nothing that comes close on the market, the problem is there too much data! We've got some professional auto-cad & graphic design experts working with us on the project, so the end result should be mind-blowing - watch this space for more announcements.

Phil & Greg Frazier discussing what fine tuning will be needed on the Laos printed map

[attachment=1:1arnk30l]Phil & Greg.jpg[/attachment:1arnk30l]

Chris & Hieko in awe of the level of detail

[attachment=0:1arnk30l]chris & hieko.jpg[/attachment:1arnk30l]

Attachments

• Phil & Greg.jpg
    Phil & Greg.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 994
  • chris & hieko.jpg
    chris & hieko.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 994
Re: New! The most detailed Laos printed map in the world co

Fantastic map,.....

Looking forward to a signed copy Don.. :RO

Ktm Chris said:
Fantastic map,.....

Looking forward to a signed copy Don.. :RO

Ditto... Hoping for a 3D model next...;)

Ditto... Hoping for a 3D model next...;)

Can be done, here is a quick draft of North Thailand map (needs a lot of tuning with the amplitude to make it look smoother):

NorthThailand3dsm.jpg

overlayedFlat.jpg

Wow, that looks great!! Very, very cool... SO much better than Google earth/maps...

Please put me on the mailing list as soon as it is available for sale.

Looking forward to a 3D map also as you can get much more info on trips you are planning to do. Unfortunately, while you can do quite a bit with shading on paper maps you will never be able to get the same results which you can get with electronic versions of maps like in Garmin Mapsource or in Garmin BaseCamp. Attached is a 3D view in Garmin BaseCamp of a route from Muang Nan to Kasy taken from the Laos GPS map.

MuangNantoKasi-MikeHohman.jpg

MuangNantoKasi-Northup-MikeHohman.jpg

MuangNantoKasi-Northup-WorldwideDEMbasemap.jpg

Th route shown North up - with the lower picture showing the route in BaseCamp with the Garmin Worldwide DEM Basemap and the upper picture using a 3D map made from DEM data obtained from NASA.

When looking at the route in BaseCamp using a 3D map of the area you can play around (turning, swiveling, etc.) and you can get a better idea of what is waiting for you on the road. By the way, this route is similar to the trip Mike Howman did a few weeks ago while travelling from Luang Prabang and then heading east from Muang Nan to Kasy over 2000 meter high mountains.

The newer GPS'es like the Montana, the 62, the 78, etc, all come with a worldwide DEM Basemap which is similar to what is shown on the picture. but, again as you have only an overhead view on the GPS, will show shading but not the 3D effect.

The most detailed Laos printed map in the world is coming together, the graphic artists are working on the production now - a very exciting project.

Attachments

• laosgpsmap-big.jpg
    laosgpsmap-big.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 863

Whats the latest on the map Phil.... :DD

Lone Rider said:
Looking forward to a 3D map also as you can get much more info on trips you are planning to do. Unfortunately, while you can do quite a bit with shading on paper maps you will never be able to get the same results which you can get with electronic versions of maps like in Garmin Mapsource or in Garmin BaseCamp. Attached is a 3D view in Garmin BaseCamp of a route from Muang Nan to Kasy taken from the Laos GPS map.

MuangNantoKasi-MikeHohman.jpg

MuangNantoKasi-Northup-MikeHohman.jpg

MuangNantoKasi-Northup-WorldwideDEMbasemap.jpg

Th route shown North up - with the lower picture showing the route in BaseCamp with the Garmin Worldwide DEM Basemap and the upper picture using a 3D map made from DEM data obtained from NASA.

When looking at the route in BaseCamp using a 3D map of the area you can play around (turning, swiveling, etc.) and you can get a better idea of what is waiting for you on the road. By the way, this route is similar to the trip Mike Howman did a few weeks ago while travelling from Luang Prabang and then heading east from Muang Nan to Kasy over 2000 meter high mountains.

The newer GPS'es like the Montana, the 62, the 78, etc, all come with a worldwide DEM Basemap which is similar to what is shown on the picture. but, again as you have only an overhead view on the GPS, will show shading but not the 3D effect.

Lone Rider - Please tell me how you did this in Basecamp? Do you need to have a specific 3D Map?

Cheers
Johnny (GPS Noob)

Yes, you need to have a special 3D map. I can give you a copy to install in Basecamp. At this moment I have only the 3D map without any roads and cities (working on including these as well) so you can see how a route made in Basecamp with a "regular" North Thailand or Laos GPS map looks in 3D.

KTMphil said:
Steve Canyon said:
All underway
Only 6 months until we come over again Philanderer, can you give an estimate of when it'll be ready?
I'ld like to get a hold of at least 6 of them well before we get there so the others coming with me can have a good look at the areas we're riding.
Just hurry on the Northern part, that's all we need for now... :RE

MidnightMapper's on it ---could be very awesome if comes off.

Pounce said:
KTMphil said:
Steve Canyon said:
All underway
Only 6 months until we come over again Philanderer, can you give an estimate of when it'll be ready?
I'ld like to get a hold of at least 6 of them well before we get there so the others coming with me can have a good look at the areas we're riding.
Just hurry on the Northern part, that's all we need for now... :RE

KTMphil said:
MidnightMapper's on it ---could be very awesome if comes off.[quote="KTMphil"

If it comes off!.....that's a worry :?:

For those who wish to buy it...

Lots of exciting stuff happening in the Laos mapping world as I type this Mr, Pounce & is looking like their might be a Laos printed map available this year! It will be pretty amazing, all in the works now.

It would be great to get 6 posted to me well before Dec 1st. Also some more of your stickers if you like them plastered all over Laos again.
Will it be separate North & South maps as there's so much info on it?

It would be great to get 6 posted to me well before Dec 1st. Also some more of your stickers if you like them plastered all over Laos again.
Will it be separate North & South maps as there's so much info on it?

To make it usable, it will have to be 2 sided

Lots of exciting stuff happening in the Laos mapping world as I type this Mr, Pounce & is looking like their might be a Laos printed map available this year! It will be pretty amazing, all in the works now.

Would be nice to have some more "hard" information other than that it "might be available" in particular as there are plans to convert the other Laos GPS map into a version which can be downloaded for free from the Internet either in pieces or complete. People can then print out the pieces they are interested in a format they are happy with (small or large) and on a medium (paper, laminated. etc.) they prefer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bsacbob Vendors 2
Lone Rider Vendors 7
KTMphil Vendors 21
KTMphil Vendors 28
Back
Top Bottom