New member saying hello & nice to join the Party .

johnybrando

Bikes
1050 Speed Triple, Z-1, Big Singles
Hi, I'm new on board here ...so please cut me a bit of slack here & make a few allowances for me ! Brief over-view of me.........Now I'm an old Fart @59 I'm still fit and able though . I've had bikes since I was 12... my first one was Francis Barnett 197 Falcon ( yeh I know !!! but I was only 12 ! & it was way better than a F@#ing Foot Ball ) I still enjoy getting stuck into riding ...got several bikes a mixed bag of Triumphs, Kawa, Yam, Bm , all are Road bikes except a 1976 TY-250 & a 1979 XT-500 . I'm a North London boy who bailed out 24 years ago & went to live in OZ ..it was a good place back then...not now !!!!!!! 2 years ago I had a great trip , on my own .....around both of the New Zealand Islands , 4 weeks on a 40 year old SR500 and camped all the way did 8000 kms...had a ball & it sort of inspired to make another trip while I'm still fit & able . So, a week ago I booked my flight to Hanoi .....Nov 1 - Nov 28 unfortunately the bike choice is severely compromised there, so it looks like it's likely gunna have to be on a little hired XL125 or maybe..... I'll buy an old one ( if i can find one that is ! ) & fix it up enough to make a North Vietnam loop ride & if I enjoy it ...then I could try & find some where and some one who's trustworthy & reliable to leave it with & come back a while later (9 mths-12 mths ) & pick up from where I left off for another 3 or 4 week ride . As usual Money is the stumbling block .Seem's hiring an XL-125 is likely about $500 US for 3 weeks .......maybe I can find a reasonable 2nd hand one for about $700. ?????? I have no idea , so I guess I'll just have to "Hurry UP & Wait" till I arrive there to find out. Without yet having a reliable trust worthy contact there ..well, there's bugger all I can do ( if any one got any idea's / input on this , well I'd be appreciated & I'd be keen to hear from you ) I'm hoping to take in some ( as much as possible ) back road & off road routes. Thinking I will maybe buy on arrival there a TOM- TOM either there in Hanoi, or maybe before I leave OZ & get the V/nam maps loaded there in Hanoi. I don't have or really want an i-Phone & I'm not that tech savvy & don't aspire to that either........ as I'm just an Old Git ! stuck in the dark ages ..haha. ( I should of made my member name ... Barney Rubble or Fred Flinstone aye ) Hey , unlike you lot I've never made a bike trip in Asia before ...Over the years I've gotta around Asia enough though..... just not on a bike ! So please any constructive advise on finding good rental companies , hiring or buying, routes & must doe's etc would be very much appreciated. I'm sort of expecting a Baptism of Fire but hoping for the best. My experience to date in Asia is that...... in the cities "not always but often ....you need to brace yourself & watch out, as it's open season on Westerners - BUT generally I have found in the Country ....there really decent nice people . I'm hoping to get back in one piece... still thinking the same !!!! Cheers all. :sipping

Welcome to the most informative, inter-active, Asian motorcycle website Johny, looks like you've got some decent positive energy.

Welcome to the most informative, inter-active, Asian motorcycle website Johny, looks like you've got some decent positive energy.

Thanks Phil . I appreciate the hello on your part & I have seen some of your interesting posts on the Forum already..... like your choice of bikes too. Ride safe ...all the best. Johny B.

Try Flamingo in Hanoi - they have bikes for hire as well as for sale and might be willing to buy the bike back at the end of the trip - see Flamingo travel or at Facebook at Flamingo travel vietnam

Thanks for that ....i saw other guy's on this Forum hired from there & held them in high regard. Cheers , ride safe . Johny B

Back
Top Bottom