New KTM Freeride 350 and Freeride E

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Seems like once the world will run out of petrol we will still have options:

Sounds a bit weird though, will get some time getting used to the sound...

Re: New KTM Freeride E

Can see the appeal in ultra lightweight almost MTB / BMX type elecys.. But reckon it will be a while before we get a real performance feel.

Kinda liking the new freeride 350 too.. Sub 100 kg, useable and fun, maybe low powered but also low maintenance engine. Emphasis in real world riding.

Then theres the 2 stroke resurgence, husaberg, gas gas, this ossa concept (my first real dirtbike was an ossa) with loads of new tech ideas..

Loads of cool stuff to desire..

Perfs are not that bad, 30hp continually. Kinda like the feel of a scooter (no clutch no gears). Is certainly weird, but I think it got reasonable power for a "first" electric freeride bike. You can imagine in about 5-10 years with a much better battery it could actually be usable for short enduro rides.

Saw the new 350 as well, sounds good as well, looks a bit like a trial bike (even got trial tires on it). Not a race machine, but as you said low maintenance and certainly tons better than the klx250:
ktm-350-static.jpg

Light, simple, lower maintenance engine, elecy start, enduro light package.. Lots to love in that package.. A nice simple woodsin bike less spec or total power focused but probably a great tool.

Definitely not a race bike but it doesn't look like it lacks power, especially with the weight (less than 100kg).
Now when are we gonna see those in Thailand... and most important how can one expect to find parts and repair it here?

Think I read its 24hp.. Which is pretty lean..

But looks like it has enough, probably just being in expert riders hand tho..

Looks like fun for what it is. I would give it a try.

Wonder if there are any implications from the electric motor's power delivery in low traction situations versus the on/off power pulses of an internal combustion engine.

We are talking about two bikes here for those who are confused...
The freeride 350 and the freeride E. The E has 30hp and the 350 has 24hp. Both weight around the same 99kg and 90kg. Look like fun bikes, kind of in between a trial and an enduro bike.

Phil, bike is waterproof, read the specs ;)

New nice advert video for the ktm 350 freeride (not the electric one):

Seems like a decent bike for longer trips as it is low maintenance, decent size 350 engine and still has good offroad capabilities.

Just a clarification of hp rating;
An electric motor has almost a constant hp output from pretty much 0 revs to top end revs.

An ICE (internal combustion engine) has a variable hp output depending on the rev's, the hp output as rated by the manufacturer is of course at peak power/optimum rpm's -it may or may not drop rapidly on both sides of this optimum rpm.

When using a bike or other vehicle with an ICE you are hardly ever at peak power as you travel at variable speeds, you try to be at peak power by changing gears to keep the bike in the power band but you are not actually getting your rated output on the sprocket shaft more than a fraction of the time.

So even if the electric bike has a power output of about 30% lower than the bike with an ICE, you have this power constantly and independent of the speed you are travelling at.

I want this bike!

It has got to be the best trail bike out there (i.e, low weight, low maintenance, lots of low down torque and fun!). Certainly miles ahead of the KLX and the soon to be CRF-L, it won't beat an enduro bike for speed but for technical trails and singletrack it would be awesome fun and easier for most people I think. Apparently 465,000THB from the dealer here though :(

Must be a comparison some where of the KTM Freeride V's the KTM 350 EXC , might be interesting to see the results

KTMphil said:
Must be a comparison some where of the KTM Freeride V's the KTM 350 EXC , might be interesting to see the results

Having ridden neither, my worthless opinion would simply be totally different styled machines.. The freeride is a real world useable machine, possibly ideal for here, lower maintenance, under 100kgs light, torque to use.. Just a great day to day bike. I am really encouraged that manufacturers like KTM are making bikes for real riders not only bikes for track use and people with their own mechanics. The maintenance requirements of modern performance 4 strokes just gives me the shivers.

That said theres a pretty big price jump from a Honda 250 at 120ish, to a KTM at 465 !! Thats a hard sell and a lot of hop up parts on the Honda.

Looking around for a bit more info on the Freeride E I came across a press-release from KTM from the initial launch in 2010. Amongst other things it says:

How many times is it possible to recharge the battery?
The final specification of the battery has not been determined. The one that is presently being tested allows approximately 500 recharges, which is the equivalent of the normal life cycle of an Enduro motorcycle.
(my emphasis).

I don't know about you guys, but I would expect a bit more than 500 hours of service out of a brand new bike...but maybe that's just me being cheap. Wouldn't be the first time :RE

Tom said:
Looking around for a bit more info on the Freeride E I came across a press-release from KTM from the initial launch in 2010. Amongst other things it says:

How many times is it possible to recharge the battery?
The final specification of the battery has not been determined. The one that is presently being tested allows approximately 500 recharges, which is the equivalent of the normal life cycle of an Enduro motorcycle.
(my emphasis).

I don't know about you guys, but I would expect a bit more than 500 hours of service out of a brand new bike...but maybe that's just me being cheap. Wouldn't be the first time :RE

I havn't checked, are they using lithium batteries?

KTMphil said:
I havn't checked, are they using lithium batteries?
Yes, they are. My concern was not so much with the life of the battery, though, as it being equated with the life of the whole bike.
I read somewhere else that the first generation used laptop-type cylindrical cells, whereas later models will be using newer flat cells. This should allow the battery to be packed denser than before (as long as they can manage the heat) and maybe give larger capacity at the same size (plus a bit more weight, of course), or simply just a smaller battery package.

MastaMax said:
Seems like once the world will run out of petrol we will still have options:

That video is just so wrong :hmm Im going to start stock piling gasoline!

Not to drag it OT too far.. But elecy stunting.

LivinLOS said:
That said theres a pretty big price jump from a Honda 250 at 120ish, to a KTM at 465 !! Thats a hard sell and a lot of hop up parts on the Honda.

True, but if it can be imported for a bit over 300,000 then it might just be worth it. It will undoubtedly be a hundred times better off road than any KLX or CRF-L will ever be, it's 35kg lighter for a start and you will never manage to shed that from the KLX or CRF-l (assuming it's a similar weight to the KLX). If the CRF-L is lighter and more powerful than the KLX then it would be a harder decision, however I suspect that is going to be unlikely.

Talking with some fellow riders today, the petrol engine version of the KTM 350 freeride is starting to look very attractive for this region.

-low seat, so many stupid stationary falls from enduro bikes being so tall.

-low maintenance

-KTM experienced suspension set up

-less than 100KG !!!

- decent power

Should be fairly easy to get some more power out of it if need be as well, it has a twin exhaust with a catalytic converter in each pipe. Take those off and you would have an even lighter bike with more power. I am holding out for the specs on the CRF-L before making a decision though.

I just read a long review and article on the Freeride E in this months Motorcycle Sport & Leisure magazine. Overall a very positive review although the downside is it only has 20-40 minutes run time and then 1.5 hours to recharge (although the battery will be 80% recharged in 45 mins). KTM are making 500 pre production models this summer for testing and then the retail model will be on sale towards the end of next year.

On the Freeride 350 front, it is still not in the dealers but KTM say it will be soon. KTM Thailand will be ordering some, and they will be on sale for around 450,000 including greenbook.

KTM told me a couple of months and 465 booked.. Its a lot but then you start thinking, its over 300k back in the UK, once you import and tax, to get the plate, its not 'that' much more.. Think the 350 is looking like a near perfect tight trails machine.

Being told the engine version of the KTM freeride 350 is sold out all around the world with a 3-4 month waiting list, it will be interesting to see if it lives up to demand

546915_3230960370110_1149651726_32576382_2054109272_n.jpg

A pretty positive review of the 350 freeride:

I really do think for here its almost the ideal solution.. Low maintenance, light, enduro trials hybrid.. Pretty much the direct prescription for the CM area trails.

Shame locally its got such a high unplated pricetag.

Back
Top Bottom