NEW DRIVERS MUST SOON TAKE 15 HOURS OF TRAINING

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
NEW DRIVERS MUST SOON TAKE 15 HOURS OF TRAINING

It was bad news for future motorists Tuesday when the Transport Ministry announced that, starting sometime next year, they will have to sit through 15 hours of training before they can get their licenses. The ministry said it would amend the regulations to require more hours of training for the sake of road safety.

The 15 hours will include five hours of classroom theory, three hours of maintenance instruction, and six hours behind-the-wheel to be split between an open course and the street.

The new regs will be considered by the Council of State and are expected to go into force at an unspecified date next year, Sanit Promwong of the Land Transport Department said. A 6,000 baht fee that had been proposed for license-seekers is being reconsidered.

Under a law that went into effect this year, driving license applicants must sit through a five-hour lecture on driving theory. Candidates are then required to pass a written and practical skills test to obtain their license.

According to the World Health Organization, Thailand ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities in 2015.

Source: New-drivers-must-soon-take-15-hours-training/

(Update: This story was updated to reflect the new training rules also apply to those renewing their license.)

I totally agree with people needing proper training and testing to obtain their first licence but having to go through it to renew one is a bit strange.
An IDP from the UK will be a better option for myself I think

Possibly another idea that will be quietly dropped though

I think it's interesting to view this in the larger context of Phil's recent advice of what to do when accidents occur. Are those same locals currently riding on Thai roads without licenses, lights, insurance, road tax etc. going to be affected by this? Of course not. This will cause an even greater divide between the poor 'legally untouchables' and those attempting to be law abiding road users.

Pay your 6,000THB fee, study, collect your DL, but road safety won't improve as long as there's an acceptance/tolerance for black road users. Oh, and BTW, if they cause you an accident, don't forget you need to pay for them too... :RE

(Update: This story was updated to reflect the new training rules also apply to those renewing their license.)

I totally agree with people needing proper training and testing to obtain their first licence but having to go through it to renew one is a bit strange.
An IDP from the UK will be a better option for myself I think

Possibly another idea that will be quietly dropped though

Maybe I missed something but I don't see where it says that existing licence holders seeking to renew their licences will be required to undergo any additional training. It does say "future motorists", which is another way of saying "new drivers", i.e. those drivers who do not yet possess a driver's licence.

Well, according to a Dutch news source (www.thailandblog.nl), it looks like that the authorities have decided to postpone the new requirements to get a driving license to 2019 - main reason given is that most of the government agencies are not ready for it, that there are not enough driving schools and in addition, people have started complaining about the price which is to high for most of the people. The latter would result in that most probably more people will drive without a driving license.

Well, according to a Dutch news source (www.thailandblog.nl), it looks like that the authorities have decided to postpone the new requirements to get a driving license to 2019 - main reason given is that most of the government agencies are not ready for it, that there are not enough driving schools and in addition, people have started complaining about the price which is to high for most of the people. The latter would result in that most probably more people will drive without a driving license.

According to Kaosod News the new regulations have been withdrawn: BANGKOK — Plans to require 15 hours of training for new drivers to get their licenses were withdrawn Wednesday by the government, which said the new regulations needed careful review.

Source: New-driver-training-requirements-shelved/

No surprise there Auke, it would have been good if it happened.

No surprise there Auke, it would have been good if it happened.

Yeah, I agree with you Bob but probably in pravtice most of the people would have bribed the driving school to give them a document showing that they followed the training and with this document they would have been able to get the driving license from the LTD.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2wheels Thailand Information 11
Back
Top Bottom