New but...

bikesncats

Bikes
TDM850
Hi All...I'm new here -but known by some as I see some familiar names- thanks for the invitation Phil...it looks and feels a lot more relaxed here.

I can only assume that there are no Taliban Tonys and Gestapo Davids here ... and from the first report I just seen from Bob there are real riders here so I feel already at home.

Cheers and ride safe.

Ahh ! ... would like to see some pics of those HP2 Enduro if you get the time .

Hi Alex

There are 2 upload buttons, the square tree image icon which you will see in the quick reply box icon bar.

But more useful is the paper clip icon and that can be found in the "Go Advanced" editor.

However, you might have experienced a system constraint, restricting virgin users from going wild in their first posts and protecting the forum from hit & run scammers.

But you just lost your virginity so get busy with that paper clip!

Welcome to RideAsia.

Ally

Welcome Alex, glad you decided to join, you will find a much friendlier reception here

Hi Alex

There are 2 upload buttons, the square tree image icon which you will see in the quick reply box icon bar.

But more useful is the paper clip icon and that can be found in the "Go Advanced" editor.

However, you might have experienced a system constraint, restricting virgin users from going wild in their first posts and protecting the forum from hit & run scammers.

But you just lost your virginity so get busy with that paper clip!

Welcome to RideAsia.

Ally

Favouritism :D

Thank you Ally, Colin, Phil...Lakota, I guess my previous "experiment" over at the commercial forum has bought me a few airflows? just kidding...Some of the pics I promised, sry for being late

You know when its love at first sight LOL the HP2 in the shop in HKT the day after I landed, it already had my name on it:
IMAGE_028.jpg

A little later the freshness of love fades and things remain interesting by getting a bit "dirty":
IMAG0014.jpg

Riding like only Isaan allows LOL
IMAGE_100.jpg

Looking for gas in the middle of ... can't remember but some great place:
IMAG0143.jpg

Finally a real exhaust, was a job and a half finding a good welder but its done.
IMAG0167.jpg

Ohhhh that's nice very nice don't see many of those in LOS

While I'm introducing myself, some pics of my other rides, some here some in other continents faithfully waiting for me:

The good old R1100GS, always craps out when in heavy rain or high water, but never afraid of the cold:
Dsc00076.jpg

The Cagiva Elephant 650 is probably to date the best and worst of all:
Scan10026.jpg

Like me here the R1200GS lost its virginity quick, verging ride str8 to Goose Bay:
DSC00073.jpg

My Megamoto was happy to see me finally "come home" and break her in through the hills and wineries of Venezia and Toscana:
IMAG0024.jpg

Bob...She's beautiful BUT...my experience with BMW Thailand and repeated problems with Barcelona Motors has left me with some real sour taste on the palate...long story, maybe one of these days I'll get around spilling the beans

I've always agonized over an HP2, with a bigger fuel tank would be a fun bike to ride up and play in Mongolia.

R1, year 2005, the most beautiful?
IMAGE_378.jpg

...almost, after this baby:
IMAG0771.jpg

wouldn't let him ride mine so I had to buy him one:
IMAG0744.jpg

There's a reason why it is called "motorcycle art"...truly magnificent, even more so "strolling" through the hills of northern Italy
IMAG0746.jpg

Phil, Touratech makes a bigger tank as well as under-seat-side-tanks (on request), it's the set-up I was considering for Australia BUT even with only 175Kg it seems a little heavy according to some that have been on the Gunbarrel lately...Mongolia, tell me when I'm in (just not this year sorry)

please do...btw, is it ok to air a rant about BMW in Thailand and maybe worn some other BMW users and people thinking about buying one?

HI Phil,you briefly introduced me to the Mongolia ride a couple of months ago at Rider's corner.could you PM more updated info please ?Thanks

Will PM you re Mongolia

I think everyone would like to hear it, it's important to stick to facts though.

Well...where do I start?

I saw the HP2 Enduro at (back then) BMW Performance Motors in Phuket, wanted it. After some haggling about the price, 1,280,000 Baht (which to a farang fresh of the boat seems quite overprized) and a lecture about import taxes I got a deal...1,080,000baht with both sets of wheels and 200,000baht of free accessories of my choice, gratuity of BMW Thailand. Closed the deal and signed a paper that I couldn't read (but brought a copy to my lawyer).

I was guaranteed a 3 year unlimited kilometer warranty (which turned out to be BS but more about it later) and sent on my way with a red plate the next day...a red plate and a ridiculously loose steering head (the mechanic couldn't test ride it because it was to high). At the first attempt to rectify the problem they overtightened it so far that they damaged the steering head bearing...so my new lady ended up the first 2 weeks of her life in the shop waiting for a replacement bearing.

When I finally got her back the new bearing was also damaged (not as bad as the first one) but I kept the bike while waiting for the new part...in the meantime repeated (weekly) visits to claim the long list of accessories I was promised always saw me leave empty handed. To make matters worse, the license plate I was expecting so I could finally leave the province also never came.

After 3 months while enquiring about the license plate I was told that the motorcycle actually belongs the new owners of the BMW shop, now Barcelona Motors, by the same staff that had actually sold me the bike...because it was still on Performance Motors inventory when they got taken over. It took the lawyer a week to sort things out and finally get me a green book and my license plates.

As you can imagine, the same staff that sold me the bike and promised 200k extras couldn't remember the deal we had...and to make matters even more ridiculous the sales manager was unloading a Garmin (BMW Navigator 3) GPS from his trunk, with my name on the box, while telling me all this. After I confiscated the goods in his trunk which included said GPS, tankbag, and saddlebag all in boxes with my name on it, which to date remain the only things I did get from the 200k accessories, I informed BMW Thailand of the incident and requested the balance of the goods...without response. My lawyer tried, never got a response either.

In the meantime, the drive had a serious recall...which Barcelona Motors fixed but refusing to honor the recall and requesting payment for the job. The fuel pump which kept crapping out "got fixed" at every service...yet the problem remained unchanged, until I found that some fuel pumps (based on production dates) had a recall and it was only after I fell (coz the pump gave out in a corner during a relaxed Sunday stroll) and brought the paperwork from BMW Motorrad to prove the recall was real, that they actually changed the pump (with one they had in stock and was from the same recalled series)...

So after huffing puffing and ranting I was told about khun Youngyut, who was doing an excellent job on servicing BMW bikes. I could ride to BKK, settle in somewhere and head for sushi and sake while he would load my bike up, bring it to his shop, service it and replace everything that needed to be replaced and bring it back...top notch service and everytime impeccable. Until that is, when Barcelona who had now become the only BMW motorcycle dealer and whom was the only place for anyone to get parts, told Yut he could no longer have HP2 parts.

So, back to Barcelona...and now a service would take 2 to 3 weeks every time. My air suspension had a leak after my last service...and on that last visit I was told my ECU was faulty and it was the reason my battery would go flat all the time...took 4 weeks for replacement part. To my surprise when I showed up 4 weeks later in a taxi, I saw another HP2 Enduro outside so I started talking to the Thai owner who was ecstatic about the service. He had brought his bike in 4 weeks earlier with a faulty ECU and the staff borrowed the part from a farang who's not around so he could keep riding, and now switched the part back and installed the new one.

5 minutes later, as I saw the new ECU on my invoice big fat Keng found himself with a tie 2 sizes tighter then he had put it on in the morning and lying on his belly across his desk with his feet dangling...security rushed to the adjacent show room standing in front of the new bikes LOL

It was the last time I visited Barcelona...they had to charge my battery again for me to be able to leave btw...and no without paying a dime.

In the meantime all my appeals for proper service, recalls etc got unanswered by BMW Thailand and BMW Motorrad. It was only when I actually spoke to the Investor Relations manager that I got an answer from BMW Motorrad...who passed the puck str8 back to BMW Thailand, from whom I was asked to produce an "original copy" of the purchase contract because in the bankruptcy Performace motors had lost all its documentation...and referred me back to same people who sold me the bike and (should) have the original contract. And so...because to make things simpler I bought the bike in my company's name...there is nothing that can be done without an original contract.

Not even proper service it seems, which is all I am asking for really.

A word of advise to those buying a BMW...make sure you get an English copy of your purchase contract and check it...keep it safe! If they promise any extras or if you purchase any accessories, only dish out the cash when you actually get them. For your services and repairs, find a good mechanic or do it yourself...do not trust Barcelona, especially not if suddenly they find something broken during a service...inspect, just walk in the back even if they say you can't. Good luck

I totally forgot my latest ride ... and what a ride it is, even the dogs are so amazed they inspect my enineering :LOL

IMAG1703.jpg

...jokes aside, I'm helping turning a great idea into a real business and part of it is delivery every early morning in these rural areas connected by ricefield roads, so I set-up this "delivery vehicle" and tested it myself, did over 10,000Km in the passed 6-7weeks with it, at times with 70-80Kg of load in the cooler boxes :eek1
I am gaining new respect for Yamaha's engineers and the scooter class.:cool:

The barcelona motors tale is one I have heard, from all corners of the country, over and over and over again..

I hear you Living Loose...I have herd plenty of stories myself. As I mentioned, the issue is not Barcelona:topes...the real issue is how BMW Thailand handles it! So...we get our hands dirty and our families running around buying parts, making them dirty and sending us used gifts...and keep on riding!:lol

Man, that HP2 is beautiful. put the knobblies back on her though. She's indecently dressed :naughty:

I'd take that BMW tale straight to BMW Head Office... in Germany. Address it to either the CEO or Chairman (who you can normally track down fairly easily). When it then gets passed to the appropriate channels for review / action.... it comes complete with the CEO's stamp on it. Guess what its priority order is....

I'd take that BMW tale straight to BMW Head Office... in Germany. Address it to either the CEO or Chairman (who you can normally track down fairly easily). When it then gets passed to the appropriate channels for review / action.... it comes complete with the CEO's stamp on it. Guess what its priority order is....

They dont care.. This isnt one tale.. If you scan the forums tales of customers bikes being raided for bits, refusing warranty, saying stuff is in spec when its clearly faulty (a auto gearbox on a uber expensive new sport car that one.. Imagine shelling out 100 - 150k USD to have a car that lurches and clunks) or bikes being with them for repair for years at a time.. just go on and on.. The forums are littered with them and many of the people involved, shocked at the treatment on such a high end purchase, have tried to contact germany, PR departments, everything..

For such a luxury brand that lives on its reputation, its a mind blower.

Its all in the wording.... I've had the odd win or two along the way.... Shell (via their International Chairman), Toshiba (via the MD) and so on....

.... She's indecently dressed :naughty:

You are right Lakota...on the other hand it's an ok compromise for Khao Yai, Chayapoom and Loei roads...of course still a very far cry from the Megamoto, hard to believe it is the same bike with only different wheels and suspensions!

The knobbies are awesome as soon as you head off the asphalt...well...at least one person would say different after seeing some nice sliders I pulled down in Koh Chang when he was following with his car :roll:

I have to admit...for Thailand and similar places it is pretty easily the greatest bike I ever had. The Megamoto pretty much the same for the Swiss Alps and the rolling hills of northern Italy. If they only had a bit more fuel though...

Been there and done that BigFella...as you can read by exposée I only got an answer from BMW Motorrad gmbh after I spoke to the Investor Relations Manager for the BMW Group...and in the end it boils down to the same fact, BMW Thailand is it's own entity and does not have to respond to Germany, though they were quick to answer that they would address the issue (with copy to BMW Motorrad) and I never herd anything else after that from BMW Thailand...only Barcelona took the trouble to answer that without an original purchase contract there was nothing they could do...

Anyway...I put that issue behind me long ago, I just want to make people aware that are perhaps considering the purchase of a BMW bike.

Yeah, I've still got three BMWs... all older ones - an original series R90S, an early Funduro and an E34 M5. I was trying to find a HP2 Enduro when I bought my KTM Super Enduro... and in the end, I think I bought the right bike, given where I've taken it.

I was trying to find a HP2 Enduro....

did you look for the HP2E in Oz or Asia?
the HP2E is on my very shortlist of bikes I like to own but none for sale in pristine / mint condition in Oz and for sure not in the lovely motherland called China.

well ~ in the USA currently two HP2E for sale and one is in absolute mint new condition, first and only HP2E owner asking 18k US$ but a real challenge to get a used bike into China legally.
haven't checked about current Oz regulations for importation of a used bike not personally owned and registered / titled to different owner and no Aussie ADR plate....

I was in and looked in Oz.

I probably should check the regs again. I've taken bikes in, but only old ones.

The situation should change for the better. A friend is working on it (and his party now sits on the correct benches in Parliament).

did you look for the HP2E in Oz or Asia?
the HP2E is on my very shortlist of bikes I like to own but none for sale in pristine / mint condition ....

I'm sure it is the same in Cambodia...a fella pursued me for days and now ...

hp2 sold.jpg

I know I will regret it sooner or later ...

Back
Top Bottom