NEMO GoGo Elite Tent

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Not a new idea a blow up frame tent but this one get's good reviews and packs down really small.

723_2.jpg

More here:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Gogo+Elite

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/nemo-gogo-elite-1-person-minimalist-air-supported-tent/

Ordered one of these this morning. I'll report back once I get a chance to test it out.

Think you have to craft a stick or bamboo to make a tension pole to keep pack size down

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craig you have a review of this tent in pipeline ?

Craig you have a review of this tent in pipeline ?

Yes Bob, once I get a chance to take it on the trail. I've only set it up a few times on the grass here in BKK.

My Thermarest NeoAir Xlite mattress and Sea to Summit Aeros Premium pillow are at a friend's house (Jim in Ubon) who is currently travelling in Laos so I'm waiting for his return to send me on my goodies.

I've already changed the stakes to MSR Groundhogs and the guy ropes to Nite Ize reflective rope.

I've also bought the Sea to Summit X collapsible bowl and cup and Alphalight cutlery set along with the MSR Windburner stove with coffee press, for coffee and simple 'add water' meals. The idea is to take food for the last restaurant before I camp whenever feasible, otherwise simple rice porridge/instant noodles type meals. Also fresh Vietnamese coffee in the morning :giving:

Once I receive the items from Jim and have the chance to get out and camp I'll report back on how I find using everything.

My mattress and pillow have arrived so I'm now ready to finally hit the trail and test my new camping gear: unfortunately the weather seems to have other ideas.

image.jpg

In the meantime here's a link to a UK review of the tent: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/uog-review-nemo-gogo-elite-i170

I think the opening line sums this product up nicely, "The Nemo GoGo Elite is midway between a bivy bag and a tent, it has an inflatable frame at the shoulders which gives you room to move about and organise your gear."

I've had a chance to use the GoGo Elite a few times now, including at Doi Ang Khang and in the Kanchanaburi jungle, so will offer my initial thoughts.

Firstly, this is a bivvy tent, not a tent. There's a difference. There are various bivvy tent models on the market. What sets this one apart is the airbeam, the light weight (750gm, total package, including stakes, air pump and puncture repair kit) and the price tag: it's expensive.

The GoGo is small to sleep in, offering really just a tube to lay in. You can store some items in the vestibule area but I prefer to just keep my valuables inside and move my mattress and pillow as far out as possible to give me more room and airflow from the mesh doors.

I now carry a light weight camping set with me on all trips; the sleeping equipment, which includes this bivvy tent, an MSR NeoAir Xlite sleeping mattress, an MSR Auriga blanket (both XL) and a Sea to Summit Aero Pillow Premium (L) has a combined weight of just 2kg. The tent appears well made throughout and the airbeam looks tough and is easy to use. I've swapped the supplied stakes with the stronger MSR Goundhog stakes.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pros
Small pack size
Light weight

Cons
Cramped sleeping area
Condensation from the single wall construction
Expensive

For trail riders who want to carry a lightweight sleeping option for those times when you get caught out with no or limited sleeping options, and who find sleeping in a hammock difficult and a tarp too exposed, a bivvy tent offers a light weight, compact and more 'traditional' camping option.

Something that caught my eye was the Thermarest Sun Shelter. The quality of anything they make is the best ive ever seen normally amazing warranty. It's on sale for $ 100 Bucks 1/2 price from $200.

http://www.rei.com/product/881264/t...D=ShipmentConfirmation_Sterling&RRID=17239007

With a sleeping bag & a decent mat, cold is rarely the issue here & this ventilated arrangement will deal with the single skin condensation issues?

sun shade1 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

If you use the tarp alone (not the cot and bug net), it will rig with one hiking pole , you can offset/ angle to the so its not in your way inside. With a telescopic pole you can adjust the height to let the sides touch the ground to protect you from the rain. It weighs 425 gramms & will pack real small.

sun shade by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Never seen these before, looks interesting.

The cots aren't cheap or light though so you need to add another $200+ and 1.5-2.0kgs to the prices and weights below.

Something that caught my eye was the Thermarest Sun Shelter. The quality of anything they make is the best ive ever seen normally amazing warranty. It's on sale for $ 100 Bucks 1/2 price from $200.

http://www.rei.com/product/881264/t...D=ShipmentConfirmation_Sterling&RRID=17239007

sun shade1 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

If you use the tarp alone (not the cot and bug net), it will rig with one hiking pole , you can offset/ angle to the so its not in your way inside. With a telescopic pole you can adjust the height to let the sides touch the ground to protect you from the rain. It weighs 425 gramms & will pack real small.

sun shade by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I appear to be unable to edit my earlier posts so I'll just add a photo of the GoGo at Doi Ang Khang here:

DSC04001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom