N.O.B ride Friday 6th April, 2012

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
N.O.B ride Friday 6th April, 2012

- Mr Sneds may be interested in testing his new KTM 200 EXC 2-smoker

- LivinLOS ---- YZ testing time?

- Max

- AlexUK is still getting captured and held to ransom by the Laos Army ( more on that later)

- Tony?

- R1 Peter is here and interested

- Scott

- Loop

- KMA

- Hassman's busy house building

- Who've I missed?

My bikes got...

New rear tyre and brake pads.

Slight gearing mod.

Float anomaly causing lean condition sorted.

But unfortunately i`ll be in deepest darkest Isaan on thursday...so will have to wait another week to eat new KTM 200 EXC dust :D

I'm 100% in. So what about Mae Jo trails? Some nice stuff there!

I'm in too, appreciate nothing too demanding. Break in 70% for 3 hours, 100% for 5 hours- that's what it says in the manual. So how many percent after the break in period!!!!

johnnysneds said:
I'm in too, appreciate nothing too demanding. Break in 70% for 3 hours, 100% for 5 hours- that's what it says in the manual. So how many percent after the break in period!!!!

170% ?

Sounds perfect. 9am in front of McDonalds it is then.
Also good thing is we are gonna do 20km loops (we can also do last month's enduro race track) so if someone wants to take a break there is no problem. They all come back to the same point.

johnnysneds said:

Dont want to insult your inteligence Sneds, but just make sure to vary the throttle often, 2T's really do not like constant throttle for long stretches even after they are run in.

What premix ratio are you running?

Good luck on the maiden voyage.

I am a probable starter.. Say about 80% at this point..

If I can make it, as I want to avoid as much tarmac as possible, and as parking with the trailer isnt maybe simple around rimping / maccas.. Is that as close to the trail head as possible ?? I can navigate myself to a waypoint easy enough and wait for everyone. Lets me get ahead early, unpack from the trailer and be out of the way which I wouldnt be at a maccas car park type place.

LivinLOS said:
I am a probable starter.. Say about 80% at this point..

If I can make it, as I want to avoid as much tarmac as possible, and as parking with the trailer isnt maybe simple around rimping / maccas.. Is that as close to the trail head as possible ?? I can navigate myself to a waypoint easy enough and wait for everyone. Lets me get ahead early, unpack from the trailer and be out of the way which I wouldnt be at a maccas car park type place.

The YZ?

yeah deffo.. Been enjoying it and its easier to ride than the WR if I am just a bit more aware.

Prefer no cliff hill climbs, but trails and single tracks been top fun.

LUFC said:
johnnysneds said:

Dont want to insult your inteligence Sneds, but just make sure to vary the throttle often, 2T's really do not like constant throttle for long stretches even after they are run in.

Going to go up the southern side of the Samoeng loop trails tomorrow and break it in. Good advice on the throttle variation - ta.

1:60 ratio according to the book. Just about to premix 10 litres the now. Jesus didn't realise how much oil these things take on a full tank, thats quite a lot to be carrying around with you, eh!
About to fire it up for the first time......boooom!

240 Ml babies bottles work great for carrying extra pre-mix ...tip from LUFC.

johnnysneds said:
LUFC said:
johnnysneds said:

Going to go up the southern side of the Samoeng loop trails tomorrow and break it in. Good advice on the throttle variation - ta.

1:60 ratio according to the book. Just about to premix 10 litres the now. Jesus didn't realise how much oil these things take on a full tank, thats quite a lot to be carrying around with you, eh!
About to fire it up for the first time......boooom!

Hi my name is Scott Gray
Any chance me and my dad can join the ride on this Friday?
I have a KLX 140 and my dad has a CRM 250.
We’ve been out riding with Mat and Wolfgang when Mat had the KLX 350 and his leg wasn’t broken.

Scott Gray said:
Hi my name is Scott Gray
We’ve been out riding with Mat and Wolfgang when Mat had the KLX 350 and his leg wasn’t broken.

Hey Scott, no problem, will be great to meet the both of you on Friday.

Max - can you PM me some GPX files for this area?

Scott Gray said:
Hi my name is Scott Gray

Look forward to seeing you there Scott

KTMphil said:

Yeah then do like I did.. Use some kind of perm marker to set out 1l pre mix increments.. Pack it away and when you pull it back out find the oil has wiped the markers off.. DOH !! Now what was the mix again ??

LivinLOS said:
KTMphil said:

Yeah then do like I did.. Use some kind of perm marker to set out 1l pre mix increments.. Pack it away and when you pull it back out find the oil has wiped the markers off.. DOH !! Now what was the mix again ??

I just remember how many Ml per liter of fuel (in my case 15 Ml per liter) ...... has worked for me for a lot of fill-ups now

yeah wasnt hard, just was one of those "oh great" moments.

I think the 'stock' 32:1 is a bit rich for trail / woods.. Gonna pull the plug today to make sure its not fouling and maybe try 40:1 for woods on normal oils.

You really happy with 60:1 ?? assume with the synthetic ?? I was gonna try 50:1 with the motul synthetic but still have a tank to get through first. Always a bit nervous about claims of not needing so much oil.

LivinLOS said:
yeah wasnt hard, just was one of those "oh great" moments.

I think the 'stock' 32:1 is a bit rich for trail / woods.. Gonna pull the plug today to make sure its not fouling and maybe try 40:1 for woods on normal oils.

You really happy with 60:1 ?? assume with the synthetic ?? I was gonna try 50:1 with the motul synthetic but still have a tank to get through first. Always a bit nervous about claims of not needing so much oil.

LUFC had been running 60:1 using Motorex synthetic 2 stroke oil with no probs, i've done the same

Can I repeat my request for a near trail waypoint ??

Lew mentioned last time it was a good 10 - 12ks from mae chock plaza and 20 - 25ks tar on the YZ is something I would be much happier avoiding if I can.

Plus I dont want to hold everyone up while I unload trailer, get prepped, etc.. Better for everyone if I can be early and ready.

Pretty please ?? How does this look..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=18.938073 ... 1&t=h&z=15

Would have loved to join, unfortunately my mom's got overstay, gotta do the Mae Sai thing, hope to make it next week

esspressolungo said:
Would have loved to join, unfortunately my mom's got overstay, gotta do the Mae Sai thing, hope to make it next week

Rudi- Can you contact George, see if he wants to join us?

I talked to George, he's a one-man show, he doesn't like to join if the groups to big, he's been like this ever since I started riding with him, lonesome cowboy on the road to no-where, anyway, I will try to convince him to join in next friday, as he knows quiet a few guys already, have a fun ride tomorrow and keep those pistons oiled....

Phil - ill pop round to yours in the morning. What time you leaving?

I'll join from Mae Jo (where I live), looking for a meeting point closer to Mae Jo same as LivinLOS.

LivinLOS - I can help with the bike unloading etc.

Bike unloading is set up for one man operation.. But thanks anyway.. Happy to meet up at my unload point.

I have http://g.co/maps/n4qnk which garmin has searchable as the huai cho reservoir if you have a GPS.

Times would be good ?? I dont mind being early and waiting and assume 15 or 20 mins after Mae Chock plaza meet up you will be out to here ?? Or is it a trail between there and > 30 mins.. Like I say I dont mind being early but just trying to get a handle on timing.

At MC plaza 9:30 and to the reservoir for 10 ?? Is that early or late ??

Well at the moment nobody knows where we're going, except Max suggested meeting at 0900 hours at McDonalds Meechok Plaza and riding somewhere near Mae Jo. There are lots and lots of trails all up and down Mae Jo, with a dozen starting points.

OK so I will see you something like 9.20 - 9.30 ish at the huai cho reservoir.

I will be early anyway.,

johnnysneds said:
Phil - ill pop round to yours in the morning. What time you leaving?

Leaving my place 0830am ...anyone can meet here before then, there will be a few here going as a group.

Looks like 15 bikes in total -- a new NOB record

6903559538_3244c13abe_b.jpg

7049652083_65866dde9b_b.jpg

Jonny's spanking brand new KTM 200 EXC 2 stroke, not even a scuff on the front brake rotor

7049651909_8cb6244f3a_b.jpg

6903559112_15bece6992_b.jpg

Harry with Con's converted Platinum 175cc

6903558710_2a9f3e7383_b.jpg

6903558572_0d5a227fa6_b.jpg

Max's Yamaha WR 250

6903558990_73ce1b88eb_b.jpg

Sadly, I got a puncture on the first dirt trail in Mae Jo and had to turn back... we'll wait for the days riding review from the others

6903558464_dbb4690954_b.jpg

We're trail riding to Doi Inthanon in the morning from Chiang Mai.

Meeting 0730am at the junction of R 108 and R 121 (one junction south oif Big C) in the morning....

Late notice - but will be some new trails id anyone's interested.

Some great trails today, definitely an area I want to return to. The heat at time was unbearable, enjoyable none the less.

Great to see so many new faces, and what a big group! was difficult to keep tabs on where everyone was. Top marks to young Scott on his KLX140, that laddie definitely has some skills, hope to see you regular on the NOB mate, shit that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean.

Had some technical problems with the Contour and only managed to capture the below video following the legendary Midnitemapper, one to show the Grand Children :RE

Cant post the route either as I installed the batteries in the GPS the wrong way...twice, DOH!!! :bash

The KTM was great fun, just how I imagined it would be, so much more character than my WR. Not sure if it was the bike or the heat that quickly drained me of my energy, probably a combination of both.

Check how easily the bike went under the downed tree

Back
Top Bottom