N.O.B ride Friday 2nd March 2012

Cant make it unless I get knobbies for my Honda Wave! :cry

honda-wave-110.jpg

Have a good ride....

KTMphil said:
N.O.B ride Friday 2nd March 2012

A few riders are back from off-shore ...... anyone have an idea?
No NOB ride tomorrow? Anyone, anything??

KMA - I'm off on a trip tomorrow.

LUFC i think is having a 3 day break after riding with jamie yesterday

JFKKK has a gimpie leg

Livin LOS is off chasing something somewhere

BignTall is back in the USA

Stokes' bike isnt here

Jonny Sneds has a clutch in pieces

Max is in Switzerland

Matt is in Ghana and sold his bike

.... so might be a rain check this week unless Alex UK is up for a ride?

Cool, have a good trip. I will go dink around in the hills solo rider

Didnt have anyone to ride with all week so i should be riding tomorrow..
dont know where, dont know when.

alexuk said:
Didnt have anyone to ride with all week so i should be riding tomorrow..
dont know where, dont know when.

I used to be indecisive but now i am not so sure :)

Loop said:
No interest for this friday the 9th?

I'll have a word with WR John in the morning .... Matt may have his KTM 300 EXC-E 2 stroke all ready to go by then (mine's in bits)

I`d really like to do the mae rim loop we did a few weeks ago through the bamboo jungle then up to mok fa waterfall and back to mae rim in the anti clockwise direction.

if i could get at least one other i`d be willing to do it.

Matt has the track on his GPS (we did it 2 weeks ago), and wants to ride tomorrow.

However, doing it counter clock-wise they probably want to collect the entrance fee at MokFah waterfalls....

Wolf.

I`ve got it on my GPS but didn`t take into account the entrance fee,clockwise is fine or something similar.

there's no fee unless you go to see the waterfall itself.
and I've got a thai driver's licence

Well I'd like to do it again and get some burnt-waste-land video footage of the bamboo forest, clock-wise or anti. Count me in.

Wolf.

Ok,hows 10am meet up at the Mae Rim MX track sound?

Great. Matt and I will be at the Mae Rim MX track (Mark's place) 1000 hours.

Can anyone give me a map point of where the meeting point is in Mae Rim?

Jim -- its 3km west of R 107 in Mae Rim (17km north of Chiang Mai) down the Samoeng loop road (R 1096) ...3km west down the Samoeng loop road (R 1096) its a right turn off of R 1096 (on a left hand bend before the Mae Rim shooting range)

cnx motorcross.jpg

i can't make it tomorrow ...bike is in bits and too much to catch up on after the Laos trip, have fun NOBBERS.

KMA said:
Can anyone give me a map point of where the meeting point is in Mae Rim?

We met up at the Mae Rim MX track on time.
Matt (new KTM 300 first ride on it),Wolf (bitsa CRM 250) and myself (KDX 220) on our 2 strokes,and 2 German guys (Rudi and ?? sorry forgotten one`s name) on a KLX 250 and XR 250.

Off to a bad start as Matt had forgotten his GPS and mine had a flat battery.So we decided we could probably find our way around which we did with a few stops to sort out the correct routes.

Not long after the Buddha footprint (about 10k`s from Mok Fah falls) Matt had a slide and it flicked back and he put his foot down to save it and put it in a big hole.The force of hitting the ground with his right foot pushed it back up and he felt a lot pain and pulled over and rolled onto the ground not able to get up.
The only reason me and Alex knew there was something up was because i crashed (about a k further on) and the rest of the guys behind us were nowhere to be seen. We eventually doubled back and found them.
Matt was in a lot of pain and unable to ride his bike.
He couldn`t get his boot off and he seemed to think it may have been broken.We found some ice and stuck it down his boot.
Eventually we decided he would get on the back of mine and ride the 10k`s up to the restaurant on the Pai road near the Mok Fah falls.
It was slow going and only one "moment" on the sometimes very rough and slippery surface but we got there eventually with a few stops to rest.
The other guys rode in 2 up and got his bike and bought it up to the main road.

Wolf organised his wife to bring his pickup there and take him to a nearby hospital and get some x rays done and work out a plan from there.

The rest of us rode the dirt trail via the bamboo forest back to Mae Rim somewhat subdued after that.

I hope his leg is not too badly damaged and also hope he will give us a report on it.

Just a warning to all....best not ride alone!!

Hope he's ok, fingers crossed its nothing serious

Has anyone got Matt's number? I want to see how he is, 1st time on the KTM 300 exc-e, hope he's ok.

Quick update - just got back from the hospital. Have a compression fracture of the tibia just above the ankle (it's in a few bits!). Need to have an operation to put it right and it sounds a bit complicated. Have it on a slab at the minute while I decide how to deal with it.

Didn't drop the new bike though!

I'll post more details once I feel a bit better.

Cheers, Matt

Sorry to hear about that Matt, hope its a quick heal.

Matt said:
Quick update - just got back from the hospital. Have a compression fracture of the tibia just above the ankle (it's in a few bits!). Need to have an operation to put it right and it sounds a bit complicated. Have it on a slab at the minute while I decide how to deal with it.

Cheers, Matt

Matt said:

Nothing to worry about then!

Sorry to hear about that Matt, that's really bad luck, getting your foot stuck in a hole 'kin hell.

Good luck with the operation and recovery.

Darren

Matt said:

Cheers, Matt

Good luck with it mate.

Much better that only the tibia broken,they`ll probably want to put a plate and some screws in it?

Best wishes Matt, heal up real soon!
a couple of clips ....
Here's matt riding out of the jungle on the back of loops kdx

here's a disappearing trick from loop
me riding along minding my own business

and some singletrack you might recognise

alexuk said:
here's a disappearing trick from loop

555 Luckily only a bruised ego out of it and one demolished right knee body armour.....worth every cent those things!

So Matt how was the bike? My initial thoughts when I heard the news was engine braking or rather lack of it that caused the accident.
Is it a difficult transition from 4T to 2T?
Anyway glad your ok, speedy recovery mate....

johnnysneds said:

You'll be on ya arse before you can say Rekluse!

johnnysneds said:
So Matt how was the bike? My initial thoughts when I heard the news was engine braking or rather lack of it that caused the accident.
Anyway glad your ok, speedy recovery mate....

More a snarling,bucking beast issue i`d say Johnny :eek1

He did comment on how he had to use the brakes a lot more than he was use to.

I`ve done hardly any dirt riding on a 4T and would probably find the engine braking issue hard to get use after so much 2T riding.

Anyway he was happy with the way the bike performed and from the short ride i had on it has a nice wide,smooth power band that runs out of puff right up high in true enduro style same as my KDX but a lot more of it,smoother and broader than mine.

Matt's a good rider, he's going to love that 300 2-smoker for sure.

Chris in the IOM is checking what David Knight might sell , might buy myself an Easter prezzie.

I`m sure your easter pressie won`t include any chocolate Phil? 55

Just looking at Alex`s vid where i went down.I changed from the track on the left to the right and the back broke loose a little and caused me to miss the track on the right and the front went into a really deep rut and washed out and i went down at about 40-50 k`s and slid a fair way with my right leg still under the bike.While it was happening i was thinking WOW! no pain whatsoever,thanks to the knee body armour.
And then Matt didn`t even drop his and ended up with a broken leg....the irony of it.

I don`t have a bump or bruise on me this morning but the knee protector is fairly second hand now.

2012-03-1011-50-37Large.jpg

Thanks for all the messages of support. I had a painful night last night but am feeling a little better today - still bloody hurts though!

The ride started well and I was slowly getting used to the new bike. It rides great, is really light, has loads of power and really plush suspension - I'm really pleased with it. It is different to ride to a 4T, but not going to be that difficult to get used to it. Moving from 4T to 2T had nothing to do with my 'incident'. I think Rudi may have caught it on video as he was riding behind me.

After the crash (if we can call it that - I never fell off) Lew (Loop) gave me a lift out of the jungle on the back of his KDX. It was uncomfortable and really slow going but got us to the restaurant on the 1095. I had a beer for the pain and Wolf called his wife to come and get us. Went to San Sai hospital and an x-ray which confirmed it was broken. Then went to Suan Dock hospital and had a slab put on it and saw the doctor. Now just have to wait for the swelling to go down and sort out the operation.

Big thanks to all the people who helped me.

Cheers, Matt

Matt - Glad to see you out enjoying the new scoot. Sorry your ride came to a premature ending. I think the hardest part about your recovery will be knowing you have a new to you scoot that'll be going unridden for a month or so. Damn frustrating.

Tell the docs at Suandoc to put your foot on straight. A couple years ago i had the same injury and they bolted the damn thing back together crooked. Hopefully your doc won't be drunk like mine apparently was. At least they got the screws in straight.

489141605_WTKpF-M.jpg

Glad you're out enjoying the 300 and good luck with the new leg hardware.

Back
Top Bottom