N.O.B ride, 6th July, 2012

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
N.O.B ride, 6th July, 2012

Who's not injured? Mr Sneds are you back? LUFC? Rockerfella II?

Maybe a different route plan and a backup plan with more sandy trails (west of the turtle track to R 1269?).

Any input would be grateful - who's interested?

I am told the bike should be healed.. Unsure about me.. Still too early to know 100%.

Can't make as I arrive home that afternoon. Will be up for a ride Sunday though?

Won't make it either, still suckling at the black gold nipple.

I'm off into the bush again tomorrow on the bike. If I quit falling over and all in one piece I could be around for a Friday ride.

crs, AlexUK, Max - who else is around?

Just watched some of the videos on the site, gonna be some time before I am brave enough to join you lot.
You ride faster off-road than I do on the road !

Can't make it, will be in Fang sat/sun for the 3rd round of the Thailand enduro

I might be up for it. See if i can get over my post-injury: 'shit, I'm gonna fall off; shit, I'm gonna fall off...' frame-of-mind.

Have cut/lifted mudguard for bigger wheel (doh - should have seen that coming), fixing carb, will check valves, hopefully stronger fork springs will be fitted - see if I can fit some bigger balls too!

What's this all about? Does this explain why I often think my clutch is slipping on slow steep/slippery hill bits? http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/offroad/klx140l (Same clutch on 140L,125 and 150)

Progressive Manual Clutch
The clutch features a spring damper that facilitates half-clutch use when riding at low rpm or idling speeds.

A spring damper is utilized to provide two-stage clutch engagement that facilitates partial clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds.

Good luck with the race, Max.

I might be up for it. See if i can get over my post-injury: 'shit, I'm gonna fall off; shit, I'm gonna fall off...' frame-of-mind.

Have cut/lifted mudguard for bigger wheel (doh - should have seen that coming), fixing carb, will check valves, hopefully stronger fork springs will be fitted - see if I can fit some bigger balls too!

What's this all about? Does this explain why I often think my clutch is slipping on slow steep/slippery hill bits? http://www.kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/offroad/klx140l (Same clutch on 140L,125 and 150)

Progressive Manual Clutch
The clutch features a spring damper that facilitates half-clutch use when riding at low rpm or idling speeds.

A spring damper is utilized to provide two-stage clutch engagement that facilitates partial clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds.

Good luck with the race, Max.

i noticed that on my old 140. Seems to work well. Does anyone know if the bigger KLX`s have that too?

It's advertised as '...offers young riders the chance to master full control of gear shifting.' Looks like it's for learners so doubt it. Maybe it does work well - but it would help if I understood what exactly is going on and what makes it happen.

Does it work like an auto clutch so, even when you aren't touching the clutch lever, you get some clutch action? Is the slipping feeling just the 'partial' engagement? No problems using something designed to help kids with the clutch - probably a good idea with my limited off-road ability ;). But, can't find a good explanation on the net.

The clutch is known to be crap on these KLXs. So, I've modded mine to let in more oil (a wetter wet clutch). Thing is, I might have burnt up the plates already on the very slippery, steep bit we all went up on my first NOB ride - before I modded it. If it's working as it should, then no problem - I'll get used to it. If it's not, however, then I want to know so I can get new plates in.

Maybe can't confirm right now...possible if leaving not too early and not too far away from my home....cheers

It's advertised as '...offers young riders the chance to master full control of gear shifting.' Looks like it's for learners so doubt it. Maybe it does work well - but it would help if I understood what exactly is going on and what makes it happen.

Does it work like an auto clutch so, even when you aren't touching the clutch lever, you get some clutch action? Is the slipping feeling just the 'partial' engagement? No problems using something designed to help kids with the clutch - probably a good idea with my limited off-road ability ;). But, can't find a good explanation on the net.

The clutch is known to be crap on these KLXs. So, I've modded mine to let in more oil (a wetter wet clutch). Thing is, I might have burnt up the plates already on the very slippery, steep bit we all went up on my first NOB ride - before I modded it. If it's working as it should, then no problem - I'll get used to it. If it's not, however, then I want to know so I can get new plates in.

I think it just makes them harder to stall and maybe a trade off in the durability? not sure. Seems a little bit in the Rekluse direction?

But along with the lower centre of gravity the little 140 was great in the really slow,rocky technical stuff.

A Rekluse works through centrifugal force. Not got that. Hmmmm.

(Sorry - I've taken things off-topic! Will put a link to the clutch parts on the KLX150 thread.)

5 guys up here from Singpore who can ride off road want to rent crf's and join Friday.
.Justin is a 95% if his bike is finished, om hoping im healed enough, who s around?

5 guys up here from Singpore who can ride off road want to rent crf's and join Friday.
.Justin is a 95% if his bike is finished, om hoping im healed enough, who s around?

Any suggestions for the route? If not too early I'll come 95%...always troubled getting my boy to go to school

how about 0930 am at 700 year, then up the trail next to the Lake (HTT), down to Hmong village and turtle track????

Looks like Canadian Dave is coming too.

Dont think I will be healed enough.. Can ride now but its still a bit weak if it gets bounced about..

Might make a sunday one when Jonnys back tho.. Couple more days..

I will try my best to be there at 9:30, the route is fine with me, could be tricky with the rain, towards the rocks on turtle track it can get quiet slippery when wet, I don't mind even I have to push the bike.

don't think my bike is up for that style of riding , It was a bit flat out fridays ride , hard work trying to keep up with max on his WR , but if its going to be a steady day I might join again , just fitted an auxiliary number board fuel tank which gives me an extra 1.1 L ,

It wont be fast paul....lots of people coming that dont know the mountain

don't think my bike is up for that style of riding , It was a bit flat out fridays ride , hard work trying to keep up with max on his WR , but if its going to be a steady day I might join again , just fitted an auxiliary number board fuel tank which gives me an extra 1.1 L ,

I'll be there, unless it's pissing down, or looks like it's gonna piss down.
Hopefully Maek will come too on her TLR-200 :)

Doubt I'll make it. Want to get my new springs fitted before I go out again. Unless they turn up today... (And it stops raining!)

Ah crap.
Something's come up for me tomorrow AM.
Very unlikely I can make it :(

Next time !

Springs have come. If I can get my clutch back together and sort forks, will try get there. Not home yet - going to be a late night!

Sorry guys, looks like my mom is not well, maybe we have to go to see the doctor, she is 72 can't leave her alone, I was already fully packed and ready to go, what a bummer

9 Bikes turned up at the 700 year sports complex for the 6th July 2012 N.O.B ride, 4 more were absent that had said they were coming and couldn't make it.

7513410820_498e479fec_b.jpg

Chris was a little late but met up with us on the trail

leaving.jpg

couple of clips from today on the way
[video=youtube_share;RzcE_jUYf3E]http://youtu.be/RzcE_jUYf3E[/video]

[video=youtube_share;UaK90YsNj_E]http://youtu.be/UaK90YsNj_E[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Do3QFwUSnW8]http://youtu.be/Do3QFwUSnW8[/video]

[video=youtube_share;xGxn6sgryxQ]http://youtu.be/xGxn6sgryxQ[/video]

Mr Stokes had a route in mind - North on the single track towards Mae Rim, then around the west side of the mountain to the look-out, which leads you nicely onto the tricky, slippery "turtle track", back to the Hmong village.

track.jpg

Paul was on his Gas Gas trials bike, with his gearing he didn't want any fast flowing trails, so this was perfect

7513419344_23bfeb2b77_b.jpg

7513419814_01f24e3881_b.jpg

The dip in the single track to Mae Rim always provides some entertainment, here Chris (crs) on his modified KLX 150 (to 185cc) giving it a shot

Av. give the dip a shot on a rented CRF 250 L

7513422712_9312666183_b.jpg

7513421438_6050319650_b.jpg

We got the the Mae Rim end of the single track, Paul then showed us what a trials bike can do

View attachment 5942

Climbing a almost vertical river bank (1st time very close)

2nd time the branch got in the way

3rd go no problem!

Back
Top Bottom