N.O.B ride 17th February, 2012

Ok how about this. The red trail is the trip we did with a bunch of Thais in November (the day you got stuck up the hill Phil). The trail was good but slippy back then, should be a doddle now. The blue trail is from the day Mark showed us around the Mok Fa area, again decent trails which should be easy now. The pink trail I just joined the two together, a mixture of trails and some tarmac (tried to keep it to a minimum). I have never done the pink trails (as far as I know!) so not sure what to expect and will not be held responsible for too much tarmac or difficulty (or lack of it!).
I would imagine this will be an easy longish day so all can join (i think!). Lunch at the restaurant on the 1095.

Feel free to add some difficulty or alternatives.....

web.jpg

Looks good John.
Where` s the meet up point?

Hey Loop, will post a meeting place up nearer the time in-case the route changes etc.

Hi Faz, it varies from week to week. Last week was well over 100Km, some rides are are only around 50Km. Time-wise we usually meet up at 09:30 hrs and are usually back home around 16:00hrs, however you are able to bug out earlier and head home if time is not on your side or you've had enough.

Wow..sounds good, I live in North Malaysia, close to Southern Thai.....I usually ride between 40km to 80km....sounds good...might make arrangements to join one day...if time and age permits...haha

How about meeting at the 700 yr stadium, 1st car park (just through the first barrier) at 0930am on Friday 17th February?

KTMphil said:
How about meeting at the 700 yr stadium, 1st car park (just through the first barrier) at 0930am on Friday 17th February?

Is that where the dirt trails will start Phil?

If so that`s fine by me.

Loop said:
KTMphil said:

Is that where the dirt trails will start Phil?

If so that`s fine by me.

No it's not but convenient place to leave your car and easy to find.

I think it is where the trail begins. However there is a security barrier at the end of that road and im not sure if you can access it or not. See below. If not maybe there is access further round somewhere!

web.jpg

johnnysneds said:
I think it is where the trail begins. However there is a security barrier at the end of that road and im not sure if you can access it or not. See below. If not maybe there is access further round somewhere!

web.jpg

WR250 Jon had a poke around down there and doesn't think there's a way through.

Anyway, if not we can turn off left before the Huay Thung Tao reservoir entrance and join up with it there.

So 0930am at the 700 year sports stadium (on R 121/ Canal Rd) in the morning, arrive full of fuel.

Who's coming?

Jonny wR450
Jon wr250
Max wr 250
Hienz Lifan 200 cross
Lew KDX
Tony KXF 250
Alex?
Maybe 3 X NZ guys, they arrive back in CNX this afternoon (might be sick of riding)
Phil KTM 300 EXC
Craig DRZ 400
Will try get hold of Scott / XR 400 R
Justin's bike is still on its way back from Ubon on the train.

"Justin's bike is still on its way back from Ubon on the train"

What happened this time?

LUFC said:
"Justin's bike is still on its way back from Ubon on the train"

What happened this time?

He took it to the post office in Ubon, to save doing the 900km ride back to Chiang Mai, I think after the 8 oil changes it was still running ok.

A couple of surprise additions today, LivinLOS on his WR 200 & Mr Rossi on his KTM 450 EXC. Matt also arrived on his KLX 300.

Everyone on time at the 700 year sports stadium .

2012-02-17_180438.jpg

Up to the Chiang Mai Motorcross track to re-group
2012-02-17_180406.jpg

Lew had a bogging problem, got is sorted in 5 minutes, main jet in the carb was blocked

2012-02-17_180420.jpg

Great route starting with the fun single track from Huay Thon Tao reservoir north to R 1096 (Samoeng loop road), then some great trails north towards the Mok Fa waterfall region ending up on R 1095 (the Mae Hong Son loop road).

NOB feb 17 2012.jpg

How many kms did you make that in the end ??

For sure more than your 100 - 120 ballpark.. For me a good day.. Simple and open for most of it.. Both the way out to Mok Fa and the Bamboo trail home were great.

Reckon I need a better machine and clearly the YZ aint the tool for that terrain.

My speedo is not spot on but my trip meter showed 135k`s today which is probably more like 120-5,that`s from start to finish at 700 yr stadium.

Great trails today enjoyed it immensely.

Could someone upload the .gpx file of the route we did. The tracks, bamboo trail, etc. do not seem to be on my Ride Asia map.

Is there a newer version of the map with more trails??

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt said:
Could someone upload the .gpx file of the route we did. The tracks, bamboo trail, etc. do not seem to be on my Ride Asia map.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Matt Pm me your email and ill email it to you

KTMphil said:
Matt said:

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I`d like it too thanks Phil.
Will PM my email.

Loop said:
KTMphil said:
Matt said:

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I`d like it too thanks Phil.
Will PM my email.

Sent it Lew, let me know if you can't open it.

Yeah wouldnt mind giving the bamboo trail another bash but on the YZ..

Nah.. I think the YZ stock and new is like 49 ?? Have to assume its under that as it sits.

More of a concern is how its delivered, stock its all whizz bang powerband but the mods Darren did with FWW should shift it to be more useable, and I understand it can be made to lug with the right jetting pipe choices, but right now it still feels peaky like that a bit in my hands. Eg that trails section cliff on the way from HTT lake, doubt that would be any easier.

Could really do with getting to that practice zone by 700 year stadium or finding this San Kampeang track.. Dont think the trailer is even started based on my last talk with him. Seems to be hunting for the axle.

LivinLOS said:
Nah.. I think the YZ stock and new is like 49 ?? Have to assume its under that as it sits.

More of a concern is how its delivered, stock its all whizz bang powerband but the mods Darren did with FWW should shift it to be more useable, and I understand it can be made to lug with the right jetting pipe choices, but right now it still feels peaky like that a bit in my hands. Eg that trails section cliff on the way from HTT lake, doubt that would be any easier.

Could really do with getting to that practice zone by 700 year stadium or finding this San Kampeang track.. Dont think the trailer is even started based on my last talk with him. Seems to be hunting for the axle.

It'll be raining when that trailer is finished

Probably.. Am eastward bound for a bit anyway..

With luck it will be done for my return.

If not just have to get muddy.

"Muddy"! You mean the dreaded greasy red clay. Has there been a tyre designed to cope with that yet, me thinks not. Time for some road trips when that shit arrives...

johnnysneds said:
"Muddy"! You mean the dreaded greasy red clay. Has there been a tyre designed to cope with that yet, me thinks not.

Bit rough on the concrete sections though 55..

09%20deep%20snow%20spike%20tire%20.jpg

when we did that trail last year it was still quite greasy and a much harder proposition than last friday.
Just that big steep hill that had the fallen tree at the top that we had to hop over was much easier this time around.

But great on the ice

KTM 525 on ice.jpg

Loop said:
johnnysneds said:
"Muddy"! You mean the dreaded greasy red clay. Has there been a tyre designed to cope with that yet, me thinks not.

Bit rough on the concrete sections though 55..

09%20deep%20snow%20spike%20tire%20.jpg

when we did that trail last year it was still quite greasy and a much harder proposition than last friday.
Just that big steep hill that had the fallen tree at the top that we had to hop over was much easier this time around.

That looks like pop rivets glued into the knobs, nice!!!

Something I've been wanting to do but never got around to.
When my tyre need changing, get a shit load of teck screws, put them in what's left of the knobs & see how it goes in the mud.

LivinLOS said:

A bigger FWW will help you the most.

From memory I think I bought the 9oz weight, they also make an 11 and a 13oz weight.
I didnt want to take away too much of the hit, so I went for the mid-size weight.

These will slow down the revving, dull the acelaeration a little but give you less of a hit, more grip and make it more difficult to stall.
A 13oz weight will probably suit you best.

LUFC said:
LivinLOS said:

A bigger FWW will help you the most.

From memory I think I bought the 9oz weight, they also make an 11 and a 13oz weight.
I didnt want to take away too much of the hit, so I went for the mid-size weight.

These will slow down the revving, dull the acelaeration a little but give you less of a hit, more grip and make it more difficult to stall.
A 13oz weight will probably suit you best.

Another way would be to add another base gasket ( or two depending on how far you wish to go )
Also maybe look at altering the power valve ?

LivinLOS on the next Huay Thung Thao run...wow those YZ's are wild

Back
Top Bottom