my Cambodia and Vietnam border updte

i tried to cross in to Cambodia from Laos at the 4000 islands area and was turned away as were other that week with no reason given
i tried the border to the north of Siem Riep with Thailand and was turned away there too
both times i was sent to customs first so there was no way just to ride around.
the next borde r to the west at Osmash i was able to get in by riding around customs
i dont know what's up with Cambodia, but they seem to have changed their policy about letting foreign bikes in.
my bike is from Thailand and i have all paperwork in my name

this week, i crossed in to Vietnam with my CRF250 without any issues.
there were no questions about my bike , the size or how long i was staying.
i am traveling alone and have a nice smile which seemed to help.
i used the border all the way in the south on the sea with Cambodia.
it looks like vietnam is letting bikes again there

good luck and keep smilingr

Ed, isn't that southern border crossing with Vietnam just for the special economic zone? Are you allowed out of it with the bike?

i tried to cross in to Cambodia from Laos at the 4000 islands area and was turned away as were other that week with no reason given
i tried the border to the north of Siem Riep with Thailand and was turned away there too
both times i was sent to customs first so there was no way just to ride around.
the next borde r to the west at Osmash i was able to get in by riding around customs
i dont know what's up with Cambodia, but they seem to have changed their policy about letting foreign bikes in.
my bike is from Thailand and i have all paperwork in my name

this week, i crossed in to Vietnam with my CRF250 without any issues.
there were no questions about my bike , the size or how long i was staying.
i am traveling alone and have a nice smile which seemed to help.
i used the border all the way in the south on the sea with Cambodia.
it looks like vietnam is letting bikes again there

good luck and keep smilingr

Thanks for the info Ed. Presuming you have left the free zone and are in real Vietnamm, over 175cc, "legally", with a foreign registered motorcycle in Vietnam, you need to have a qualified Vietnam tour guide with a government approved itinerary. Looks like maybe the southern entry has got bored of enforcing the law (although you may be in the free zone and think you are in Vietnam), if you've made it to "real Vietnam", be careful and don't get in an accident as it could open a can of worms, congrats.

they asked me where i am going and i told them Ho chi Minh city
i think i told that to two different people.

there was no talk of a free trade zone

well, i am HCM city now
no problems. we we'll see how far i make it.
heading to Hanoi over the next three weeks

they asked me where i am going and i told them Ho chi Minh city
i think i told that to two different people.

there was no talk of a free trade zone

well, i am HCM city now
no problems. we we'll see how far i make it.
heading to Hanoi over the next three weeks

That's amazing well done Ed.

Very much so, was always tempted to try that just for kicks on my Cambo trips.

i was right there near the border in Kep so i thought i would give it a try.
i was not expecting to get in.
to my surprise, i did
kind of put a monkey wrench in my plans
now i am trying to find tires here in VN as my current set will not last the whole way
i even was planning to meet a nice girl at the beach i met in Cambodia and i had to stand her up because VN let me in.....damn it
and now she wont talk to me

i spent 5 weeks touring all thru Vietnam on my Thai plated CRF250 without any issues. i crossed back in to Cambodia at the southern most border crossing again without issue. i am wondering if the rules changed for bringing foreign bikes in to Vietnam or if I just got lucky. anyone else feeling the luck?
maybe that border crossing is the lucky one - i just don't know

i spent 5 weeks touring all thru Vietnam on my Thai plated CRF250 without any issues. i crossed back in to Cambodia at the southern most border crossing again without issue. i am wondering if the rules changed for bringing foreign bikes in to Vietnam or if I just got lucky. anyone else feeling the luck?
maybe that border crossing is the lucky one - i just don't know

What sort of visa did you have to cover you for the 5 weeks in Vietnam ?

i got a 30 visa in Cambodia before i crossed ($60) and then had it extended in Hanoi ($37)
all very easy
i also could have got a 90 day visa in Cambodia for $85 if i would have known i would have enjoyed Vietnam so much

i got a 30 visa in Cambodia before i crossed ($60) and then had it extended in Hanoi ($37)
all very easy
i also could have got a 90 day visa in Cambodia for $85 if i would have known i would have enjoyed Vietnam so much

Thanks for the info. I'll ask around and see if anyone's heard of the border rules easing for big bikes. At this stage I'm guessing you were lucky to make it to Hanoi without the police taking an interest.

Can anyone give some up to date info about crossing into VN from Cambodia with my bike. My bike is 400cc and registered in Cambodia and I have a Cambodian license. Is it hassle free yet? Does it still cost a small fortune to do it?

The problem as I see it with these kind of 'up to date' info o requests is.. There is no consistency..

What works one day doesnt work the next, what is in operation is variable from person to person, day to day, week to week.. Hell 2 people can go through the same border the same day and have totally different experiences. Sometimes you have to be forceful, sometimes conciliatory, there really is no way to know without rocking up and trying it.

Back
Top Bottom