MY ASIA ENDURO CHAMPIONSHOP THAILAND REPORT : Nobuya Watarai

Mark Rossi

MY ASIA ENDURO CHAMPIONSHOP THAILAND
REPORT : Nobuya WATARAI
http://e.jecpro.com/wp-content/uploads/P1010649.jpg
I have participated in an Enduro race held in Thailand on 11 and 12 February. Before my departure, I was a bit nervous since there was only one week to get prepared after receiving a race offer. However, I did have a great two-day race thanks to the staff members of FIM ASIA and the local organiser, as well as the passionate cheering from the supporters.

IMG_5230_resize.jpg

Race format

The race distance per day was 120km including three special tests, the longest of which was approximately 13km. Unlike JEC and EWC, you are sometimes required to do 3 – 5 laps in a row so that one of the special tests totaled 70km in a continuous ride. On one hand, some special tests run only about 10 minutes.
Regarding the Time Check Point (TC), in contrast with JEC races which give each rider a specific check-point time schedule, the ASIAN ENDURO races set only the starting time in the morning, and the time limits in the special tests and the liaison stages. There is no penalty as long as you clear the stages within maximum time limits, so you can actually dash up every stage and reach the finish line as early as you wish.

P1010658.jpg

Characteristics of the course

The surface of the course was mostly dry due to the dry season in Thailand. It was rather a high-speed layout with no ruts or rocky roads. The only and the most ‘perilous’ part of the race was an artificially made bog section! The course design and the location were quite different from what I know in Japan, but it was great fun. I bet there are no Japanese riders who wouldn’t enjoy it.

Warm welcome from the local people

I had a great time outside the race course as well! People in Thailand were all happy and friendly to a Japanese like me, and it gave me drive to win. I would definitely visit the country again. It seems that they are hoping more Japanese riders to come to Thailand too.

Race result

I have finished second in the ED3 (Production Machine Class), and 14th in the Racing Machine Class which includes ED1 and ED2. I was absolutely gutted since I wanted to win at least in my category! The level of the skill of Thai riders was higher than I expected, so I would like them to come over to race in Japan. By the way, there was ED4, a under bone frame motorbike class, which showed a high level of competition. I think it would certainly make Japanese riders open their eyes…
82255420210.jpg

192255420015.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

Thank you all!

I’m really grateful to FIM Asia, MFJ and JEC Promotions, since without their support I couldn’t have this significant opportunity. Would also like to thank Mr Baba, the race mechanic, for his great assistance. I’m hoping that with my experience I can contribute toward promoting an active interchange of riders between Japan and the Asian nations.
Last of all, I’m writing a race report for several off-road racing magazines, so don’t miss it!
P1010651.jpg

P1010688.jpg

192255420064.jpg

Back
Top Bottom