Must ride roads

yychow0812

Someone, everyone, please add your views on roads that MUST be ridden in Thailand. I've done some riding the last year or so on my Versys and some of my favourites are:
- Hw 12 Chum Pae to Lom Sak
- R1339 including ferry crossing at Ban Pak Nai
- R1093/1155 to Pu Chi Fa and carrying on to Chiang Kong
- R1129 along the Mekong
- R108 out of Chiang Mai
- R105 Mae Sariang to Mae Sot
- MHS loop of course (haven't done the Samoeng loop yet, will do this year end)

I have just taken delivery of a KLX250 a couple of days ago and will delivery of the Ninja 1000 (Z1000 SX in some markets) in two weeks time so I'm planning my year end trip and would like suggestions of MUST ride roads.

Admin, how about doing a sticky of must ride roads in Thailand for the benefit of noobs like me as well as for foreign visitors to Thailand. There's lots of information and details but it's hard to keep track of everything in one place.

Cheers

Well, the 120 from Mae Kachan (on Rd 118) to Phayao (on Rd 1) is nice.

The 1148 is really nice if you are not in a hurry as it has a lot of tight corners

The 4018 between Rd 1155 and Rd 1020 is very nice but also very steep so make sure your brakes are working

Rd 12 from Lomsak to Phitsanulok is also nice but they are working on the road (guess they make it 4 lanes wide) so watch out for the road construction crews

For the bigger faster bikes...

1091 from Chiang Muan into Nan.
101 from Den Chai to Si Satchanalai.
203-2014 Dan Sai-Phu Rea-Wang Saphun.

And as mentioned..

120 Mae Kachan-Phayao.
1339 to Ban Pak Nai.

There are some terrific rides that don't happen to all be in the North!

The 304 over the hills at Wang Nam Khiaw between Kabin Buri and Pak Thong Chai (Short but sweet, makes the 6 hour blat from Pattaya to Udon fun!)
The 4 from north of Phuket (Takua Pa) to Chumpon
The 3199 Kanchanaburi to Si Sawat

I guess you know these:

The 12 from Lom Sak to Phitsanulok
The 11 from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai

Plus, once you are based in Chiang Mai, all the others in the North of Thailand you're gonna get told about, far too numerous to detail here!

Great stuff guys. Keep it coming. I'm going to try and compile all these routes onto my bucket list and tick them off as and when. With a saddle (?) of 4 bikes (PCX150, KLX250, Versys650 and Ninja1000), I need LOTS of roads to try.

A few of my favorites - all can be slow going in places but worth it IMHO

- to add to yychow - there are a few places to get on 1093 but starting down at Phu Sang and going up the mountain to Phu Chi Fa, then go down on 4029 to 1155.
- Khun Yuam to Chiang Mai via 1263 to 76165 to Mae Chaek then 1192 up into Doi Inthanon National Park and down to Chiang Rai. Of course great rides to get to Khun Yuam.
- Mae Fa Luang to Mae Sai via 1140 along the Myanmar border. Can get very tight and steep in places. Need to get cleared by a few military checkpoints.
- The fairly short loop from Mae Chan on 1089 and turn north either on 1130 or 1234 to Mae Salong. Could continue on the above Mae Fa Luang ride above, or just loop around back to Chiang Rai

I found a little gem of a route earlier this year, the 1239 from Nam Pat heading East then turning South on to the 1268, 2113, 2013, 203 to Chiang Khan on the Laos Border. Very twisty and hilly, average to good surface and very little traffic, I had a hoot. It can be done in a day (one way) coming from Lampang, or even Chiang Mai if you make an early start. Chiang Khan has some nice hotels overlooking the Mekong, many with plenty of space to park bikes out of sight.

Khun Pin, have you considered doing any track days? There will be one in Kaeng Krachan next month, 7-8 December

Thank you for your invitation, I can not make it on that day due of working day.

I have plan to riding to the northern of Thailand.

Here's for first day after loading on the Train from Uttaradit to Nan via Chat Trakaran National Park.

http://goo.gl/maps/72Qwc

I've heard that there is beautiful road.

I haven't taken that route before so I cannot comment. What I did do was go left on the 1268 - 1239. The 1239 joins up with 1339 which is a real blast. Great road, good condition, not much traffic. The road crosses over the Sirikit dam on a barge (cost Bht100 earlier this year). You can then rejoin the 1026 to Nan on the other side.

At the dam crossing, there are a couple of restaurants, really fresh and sweet fish.

There are some terrific rides that don't happen to all be in the North!

The 304 over the hills at Wang Nam Khiaw between Kabin Buri and Pak Thong Chai (Short but sweet, makes the 6 hour blat from Pattaya to Udon fun!)
The 4 from north of Phuket (Takua Pa) to Chumpon
The 3199 Kanchanaburi to Si Sawat

I guess you know these:

The 12 from Lom Sak to Phitsanulok
The 11 from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai

Plus, once you are based in Chiang Mai, all the others in the North of Thailand you're gonna get told about, far too numerous to detail here!

Watch out for at least 20k's south of Sak Lek on the #11 - it's crap.

Back
Top Bottom