Motorcycle touring costs in Asia

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Motorcycle touring costs in Asia

Always interesting discussing this with people who live outside Asia & are shocked how cheap motorcycle touring can be here.

If you're not a Princess & are happy with basic, clean hotel/ guest houses, then there is somewhere to sleep in ANY small town. If you really go exploring you may find yourself sleeping in a grass roofed, bamboo'd walled hut, but for what that area has to offer it's a small trade off. ANY small village off the beaten track WILL offer you somewhere to sleep. There is also always "somewhere" to sleep at a police checkpoint, Wat (temple) or school if you're stuck.

Breakdown of motorcycle touring costs if you were touring in Thailand:

1. If you're renting a bike say a Kawasaki KLX 250 price will be around 800 baht a day (kawasaki ER6 will be around 1,200 bht a day)

2. Fuel costs, depend on how many KM you ride a day will be around 500-800 bht a day

3. Hotel/ Guest house obviously lots of choices in big towns, we usually stay in places that cost between 350-500 bht a night

4. Food, again depends on your budget, I would say we spend about 500 bht a day on food for 2-3 meals.

5. Drink, a large Leo beer will cost 80-90 bht each, say 300 bht a day on beer/ whisky

6. Telephone calls and data for internet are pretty cheap say 100 bht a day

So motorcycle touring costs in Thailand cost around 2,700 bht a day including renting a motorcycle, for what is to offer amazing value for money.

Motorcycle touring in Laos seems to be slightly more expensive than Thailand, guest houses don't seem to be as good value, fuel seems slightly more expensive as you're getting it in rural areas but alcohol is 15% cheaper. Food is about the same price, finding "farrang" palatable food in rural Laos can be tricky.

Colin recently did a big motorcycle tour through Malaysia & it was noticeable that hotel/ guest houses were much more expensive for the same quality than in Thailand. Fuel is cheaper in Malaysia than Thailand, food decent quality for farrangs there (Penang has some of the best food in the world), can't remember the relative value of alcohol.

When I was motorcycle touring through Cambodia, prices seemed a little cheaper than in Thailand. Cambodian ATM machines spat out USD$ which was quite useful.

Hopefully the KLX will return nearly 40km pl so about 350 Baht a day for a 400 km ride

Accommodation is still sometimes found for 100 Baht a night and sometimes I pay as much as 200 per night but 150 is usually about the average

On food I spend about 300 Baht per day

Alcohol is something I seldom touch in Asia (they dont know what beer is, its not that yellow piss called lager)

Internet is usually about 15 Baht per hour, sometimes only 10 and sometimes as much as 20

I've ridden in many countries and 'smiles per mile', I consider Thailand to be my favourite. There are better roads elsewhere in the world, there might even be cheaper rental bikes elsewhere in the world ..... but there is nowhere else that offers the total sensual experience that Thailand has to offer. People, food, culture, riding, places of interest .... it attacks all of your senses every minute of the day ... but it works best when you take your time, stop and talk with people and let the whole experience wash over you like a soothing shower on a tropical day ..... such experiences are worth it at any price, but in Thailand the overall price is low. I can not think of anywhere else in the world where all of the required facilities for motorcycle touring are so easily available at such amazingly low prices .... Thailand might not be perfect, but with such great roads, warm people and amazing value for money .... it's perfect for me

Having gone thru Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos/Thailand and of course malaysia I'd have to say Thailand sure edges the other countries in terms of riding experience. It is such a huge country yet the road system is very well set up, accessibility to far flung places or towns. Overall u get cheap and decent hotels, I mean 350baht for single room with tv/aircond and ensuite? How the hell do these ppl make money?

The language barrier is a bit of a problem but I carried a small phrasebook and that got me through fine.

Malaysia on the other hand has 1 thing the others don't, and that's the variety in food. It's just nuts over here with each state/race/culture having their own dish. Like Phil said, Penang itself has a wealth of variety. Of course accommodation is higher but we offset it with the cheaper fuel. Not many countries in the world can beat our us60cents/litre, and that's ron95 ok.

MustakimQZ said:
Malaysia on the other hand has 1 thing the others don't, and that's the variety in food. It's just nuts over here with each state/race/culture having their own dish. Like Phil said, Penang itself has a wealth of variety. Of course accommodation is higher but we offset it with the cheaper fuel. Not many countries in the world can beat our us60cents/litre, and that's ron95 ok.

I have to agree with Muz on the food varieties available in Malaysia. I live in Singapore and hit out North almost every weekend to enjoy the food there. Plus it's only 20km away to cross the border. And Malaysia petrol is one of the cheapest in the region besides Brunei.

But I always have a good feeling travelling in Thailand. Their hospitality, second to none. Let's not talk about Bangkok. It's quite similar to other metropolitan cities of South East Asia. I'd prefer to travel the rural areas. The people of Thailand will help you not because they want your money but that's because they want to. It's just the way they are. Once upon a time when GPS was not popular, they were many times when I got lost, all you have to do is ask and they are more than willing to lead you there, or at least get to a junction where it leads to the location. And most of them wants nothing in return. From the rich to the poor to the police officers, all of them will help.

And I'm a guesthouse person. If your bargaining skills is good, you might get good deals on accomodation in Thailand. I've paid 200 baht on a triple sharing room with hot water, TV and air-con with safe parking. That's like 70 baht per person.

On internet connection, I normally purchased a local prepaid card and hook up from there. Plus calling home is much cheaper than using my Singapore's auto roaming SIM card.

Now all this is making my butt itch for a ride up North. :D

Back
Top Bottom