Modifying My New Wave

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
IMG_8601.JPG

Sitting in the showroom.
Modifying it has presented obstacles thats for sure, I was expecting a pair of handlebars to be under that plastic but there isn't anything.
Last year at a bike shop I saw an LED headlight conversion for the Wave which is useful as the headlight is crap but on this new model Honda have equipped it with LED headlights as standard and they are much better
IMG_8627.JPG

These have been put on and they are quite good in mud giving good grip despite me running it at high tyre pressures 33psi front and 41 psi rear
IMG_8628.JPG

And at 640 Baht for the pair good value too
IMG_8606.JPG

Mounting the GPS has been a pain, my first attempt was to use rubber from an old innertube wrapped around the mirror stem then tighten the Ram Mount clamp to it but it wobbled about far too much
IMG_8607.JPG

This second attempt was by using a harder material to fill the gap as the Ram Mounts wont tighten up enough on a thin mirror stem and this was better but offroad riding meant hitting bumps resulted in the clamp moving around on the mirror
IMG_9439.JPG

This was ordered from Lazada
IMG_9440.JPG

Its not directly attached to the mirror which is good but these are not made from metal and it wobbles, I was concerned it would snap during offroad riding
IMG_9441.JPG

IMG_9451.JPG

The final solution
IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9453.JPG

Even if the weld comes loose it cant fall off as the mirror stem is inside it
IMG_9454.JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

Sadly the fact its now attached to the mirror again means there is a slight vibration but its not a problem
IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9457.JPG

Now to get the suspension sorted out
IMG_9570.JPG

IMG_9572.JPG

IMG_9574.JPG

The front fork upgrade kit with valves to go in the bottom of the forks and adjustable preload at the top
IMG_9575.JPG

Preload and rebound adjustment on the rear shocks, these are 10mm longer than standard
IMG_9578.JPG

First problem, one of the fork seals has already blown, CMS dont have any so a trip to Sangchai Honda was needed to buy one
IMG_9579.JPG

IMG_9580.JPG

Problem number two is mine is a new model with a 5.4 litre fuel tank whereas the older ones were 3.8 litres and the back end is different, the rack from the old model doesnt fit it either. The plastic is sitting on the shock absorber gas reservoir so it needs cutting, my only concern was when they put the fuel tank back in that would also sit on the shock but thankfully it didn't
IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9582.JPG

I bought a pair of fork gaiters and asked them to fit them for me, hopefully these will extend the life of the fork seals
IMG_9583.JPG

IMG_9584.JPG

The YSS shock is about 1.5 times a wide as the original and the metal on the spring is much thicker too
IMG_9585.JPG

The four options I had to choose from
IMG_9586.JPG

Next problem is the side panels also need cutting as they wont go back on because the new shock is much bigger
IMG_9587.JPG

Finally its all finished and then its time for him to set it up for me, I asked him to set it up for 90 kg to allow for my riding gear and a bit of luggage
IMG_9588.JPG

Hopefully it will be a lot better now, the forks barely compress when I hold the front brake on and push them down and should be a lot better on cornering.
The only other mods have been a rack, a mesh seat and spongy handlebar grips.
I need to do a couple of road and offroad trips before I leave town to make sure everything works okay as I dont want to have to return before late march, hopefully the green book and number plate will be waiting for me then

Last edited:
I replaced it with the Wave, this will do me until a bike is available in Thailand that I actually want

Curiosity has the better of me Colin.
Which bike would that be? You've had a good range of sizes, makes & styles so there must be one you have in mind.

honda-crf-150l-slant-rear-view-full-image-635065.jpg
I am still pissed off about this bike not appearing on the Thai market despite Honda shops saying it was coming in january 2018, I had my heart set on it.
Honda-CB125X-concept-adventure-motorcycle-8-561x374.jpg
If this sees the light of day and appears here it would be ideal, apart from that screen which would be taken off straight away

Back
Top Bottom