Mapping trip to Central-South Laos 24-31 january 2013

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Not really a trip report but just some some random pictures taken during the trip. While mapping I normally don't take a lot of pictures as I am too busy noting down info about the road, tracks, points of interest and so on. My target area for this trip was Highway 15 from Rd 13 South eastwards to the Vietnam Border and areas north of this road. I entered and exited Laos over the Friendship Bridge No. 3 (Thakheak to Nakhorn Phanom).

IMG_3481.jpg

Crossing the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge No. 3

IMG_3483.jpg

The village ladies loading jerrycans with fuel to be taken with the other supplies back to the village

IMG_3496.jpg

Was told by a man in green with a big gun not to take pictures of the low water level at the Xe Banghiang Bridge

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

Somewhere on the road between Thaphangthong and Toumlan - quite a good road except for the last 10 km. or so on the Toumlan side where there was a lot of erosion on and along the road

IMG_3507.jpg

River crossing just before Toumlan

IMG_3509.jpg

This guy got stuck in the river while washing his truck and 20 people could not pull/push/dig him out. They asked for help so after pulling him out of the mud I had to use the winch to get him on the road again as his clutch was on the verge of packing it in.

IMG_3513.jpg

Sunrise over the mountains

IMG_3514.jpg

Highway 15 somewhere near Ta-Oy with racetrack quality pavement

IMG_3518.jpg

One of the many river crossings on other roads on the trip

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

Although the snake was dead for quite some time, the small guys who were very shy, did not take chances and used a stick to have a better look

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

Trucks loaded with logs waiting at the customs post at the Lay Lay border crossing to Vietnam. Probably a long wait as the drivers were busy cooking their meal on the road.

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

Another new road being constructed

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

The Sekong Coal Mine

IMG_3577.jpg

Training in UXO removal near Saravan

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

Keng Khong Kham Rapids south of Saravan in the dry season and how apparently it looks like in the rainy season

IMG_3583.jpg

Crossing the Xe Don River on my way to Kalum

IMG_3592.jpg

Bikes crossing the Xe Don on road 23 / 1G near Ban Dan Gnai

IMG_3598.jpg

New bridge being constructed over the Xe Don

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

New racing canoes being carved out of logs for the boat races on the Mekong

IMG_3616.jpg

Tobacco drying along the Mekong

IMG_3620.jpg

Take the bridge or the dirt road crossing - Decided that the dirt road would be a better bet.

IMG_3622.jpg

Crossing the Xe Noy on my way back to Thakheak and home.

Fabulous, thanks Auke. Much appreciated. I saw plenty of those racing canoes in action... didn't realise they were built that way.

Nice to see that winch getting some more use! Looks like it was a good trip from those photo's.

Back
Top Bottom