Malaysian insurance requirements

krammit

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hey everyone. I've lurked around on these forums a bit over the last 18 months or so and decided to finally join as I'm heading on another trip at the end of Jan and will be back up through south east asia... can't wait :)[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I've ridden through Malaysia last year on my Australian registered bike and will be shipping back into there at the end of January.[/FONT]
Can anyone fill me in as to whether there is a mandatory Insurance requirements like Thailand for the motorcycle. I never came across it last time and rode fine but I have heard someone having trouble recently and that he had to purchase insurance. Can anyone shed some light. I tried to email the Malaysian motoring association but have not heard back.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kurt

Motor insurance is compulsory in Malaysia. There are three types of motor insurance available and the law requires that every driver has a minimum coverage of third party liability.

Act Only: This type of insurance covers provides minimum cover as required by the law. Insurance protection is fairly limited to only meeting liability costs for death or injury to a third party

Third Party: This insures the driver against death and injury to a third party and insures the driver to cover any damage to third party property and some other minimum legal costs. There is also the possibility to add insurance protection for fire and theft, and loss and damage to his/her own vehicle

Comprehensive: this type of policy offers the most cover for a driver, and provides many types of protection including insurance against accidental damage, damage or loss from fire or theft, and insurance for third party liabilities. Additional cover may be required for windscreens and if the vehicle is being used for any other purposes other than private use

On both of my trips, January 2014 and January 2011 I had to buy it at the border then show it to the Immigration officials before they would grant me an ICP to ride there

Yeah interesting... Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will need to get it. I shipped into and then rode out of Malaysia and then back across the border couple of months later from Thailand and had no idea of the insurance. I was never asked for it or told I had to have it.

Back
Top Bottom