Maintenance on the road

terrytreks

Bikes
scooters
A few more questions before I leave in a couple weeks on a month-long trip. I'm wondering what to do about maintenance on the road, like a flat tire, or worse. Is it recommend to carry all the tools I need? But even if I had all the tools, I don't really know how to use them. I'm hoping to rely on mechanics, and just push my bike to one if I have a problem.

I'm also wondering about oiling my chain. Do folks do this every day when driving a lot? Is there a place in HCMC to buy chain oil?

Finally, does anyone know where to get a big plastic bag to put my backpack in to keep the rain off.

At least your honest about the tools, I am sure unless your off the beaten track you will not be far from a mechanics shop. Get onto the habit of lubing your chain every day it's worth it.

As for back pack always carry some good quality bin liners they should do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Try and lube the chain everyday, I prefer the anti-fling lube but its each to their own! As for tools, whether riding at home or abroad I always carry enough tools for tightening things and mending a puncture, Spare tube. I have not had to use them yet, touch wood, but I like to have them just in case

Wayne

I would get a set of spanners at least, the ones with a ring wrench at one end and an open wrench at the other, in these sizes , 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm. You might need either a 17mm or 19mm or even larger for wheel axle removal but you'd need to find out which size when you get your bike. Screwdrivers, one flat blade and the other crosshead or if you can get a convertible one that has exchangable flat, crosshead and allen bits -even better. Lastly, stash a dozen or so mid size zipties, somehow zipties always come in useful on a motorcycle trip! I would get a toolroll or small bag to put the tools in and religiously put them back after use, there's nothing worse than losing a tool you need.
For punctures I would carry a spare tube and patch repair kit and pump (one of the heftier ones used for bicycles will do) for emergencies, although if you get a flat anywhere near a town in VN you will find somewhere to get it repaired easily.
For waterproofing your luggage, I would get a rolltop waterproof bag from the outset, ones by Lomo, Ortlieb, Overboard etc are cheap, durable and waterproof even in monsoon conditions. If you are strapping a bag on the rear seat I wouldn't get one bigger than 40L. Strap the bag on with a combination of textile luggage straps and elastic bungies.
If you can't get hold of chainlube simply squirt old (or new) engine oil on the chain once a day or simply do what the locals do, ride up to a motorcycle repair place and ask for an old oil can and dribble the dregs onto your chain, like this.....

_DSC0268.jpg

I should add Terry, that if you don't know how to use the tools they will still be handy to have because if people spot you are having trouble they will invariably try to help (mostly) and of course they can better help if you have tools.
If you have a mate who has a motorcycle at home, bribe them with a beer to show you a few fundamentals, getting a wheel off for puncture repair, adjusting a throttle cable, tensioning the chain, checking for a spark on the spark plug and perhaps adjusting a drum brake are pretty easy to learn.
And one thing I missed out on the list -tyre levers of course.
Good luck.

Everything Mr Phil said. Kriega do a nice tool roll at £19, just bought one and it does the business. Learn to use your tools before you leave, no good figuring out how to use them for the first time when you're stranded. You could practice stripping a few parts down before you set off. Are you buying a bike when you're there? Using your own? Maybe wherever you source the bike will let you do some basic maintenance with their assistance before you set off to help you familiarise yourself with it and gain valuable practice.

In addition to the tools Phil mentions, I'd take one of those adjustable wrenches as a fit-any-size option, a set of allen keys, a pukka swiss army knife, some duct tape, and some of that putty which sets into metal.

I would also add, if you're going to be on the bike for a month long trip, that rucksack will get pretty tiring. I would honestly spend a pittance on a Lomo dry duffel bag (£20 for a 30l or 40l bag, plenty big enough) and perhaps just have a small bumbag or a legbag like Phil uses for your valuables.

In Vietnam, mechanic is popular job and motorcycle is main vehicle for travelling. So it's easy to find out a repair shop in any street in Vietnam.

The scooter I bought in Vietnam in 2010 needed maintenance every single day. There was always a bike mechanic there... I did a wheel bearing... pushed it across the highway and had it fixed for a couple of bucks. Blew it up in the mountains... had to push it 2km... fixed in a couple of hours for $100 with new crankshaft (2nd hand I think), new barrel and piston, etc. Bike shops will oil your chain for you for a few cents. Go enjoy... if ever there was a country where you don't need to carry tools, it's Vietnam

Hi Terry,
In Vietnam, they use dirt oil instead of chain lube and you can go to any maintain shop on the way to ask for this. As usual, it's free of charge but some time mechanic ask for 5-10.000 vnd. You also bring bottle of dirt oil with by tight it on rear rack. If your bike has chain box so two day one time to fill up dirt oil is ok. but for naked chain, you should do this after 100 - 200km depend on kind of chain. The O-ring chain keep lube better.
but if you want to travel alone by motorcycle, I reckon the first thing you have to study, is maintaining and repairing the bike, at least flat tire. Sometimes it not has any mechanic for 20km so you can not rely on.
If you start the trip from Hanoi, I can help you some basic skill and tell you where you can get tools, plastic bags for the trip. Contact me for help in need.

Back
Top Bottom