Total Distance 134 km
DSCF6030.jpg

Riding out along the 4018 and pretty dry and hazy along here
DSCF6031.jpg

I take the 4044 to ride to the Salawin WS
DSCF6032.jpg

DSCF6033.jpg

DSCF6034.jpg

The 4044 is asphalt until N18.17.134 E097.48.894 which is quite a bit further than when I rode here before about four years ago
DSCF6035.jpg

DSCF6036.jpg

The surface now is sometimes not bad but theres lots of places where its very rocky
DSCF6037.jpg

DSCF6038.jpg

DSCF6040.jpg

DSCF6041.jpg

DSCF6042.jpg

DSCF6043.jpg

DSCF6044.jpg

This tree was burning all the way up and on my way back it had fallen over, apart from this not many fires today as most is already burnt
DSCF6045.jpg

DSCF6046.jpg

Even though the rest of this tree looks dead there are shoots coming out of it
DSCF6047.jpg

At a junction I turn left for Pho So but after a couple of water crossings I turn around and carry on heading north
DSCF6048.jpg

DSCF6049.jpg

DSCF6050.jpg

I reach another water crossing and the GPS shows lots of these now so as I have no interest in doing that by myself I turn around here and ride back
DSCF6051.jpg

DSCF6054.jpg

DSCF6056.jpg

It was an interesting ride and one I would possibly do again but only with at least one more rider.
This wraps up my stay in Mae Sariang for this trip after really enjoying myself exploring all those new dirt tracks and villages out in the wilds
DSCF6060.jpg

Chicken, fries and onions for 200 Baht at Sawaddee

You can get the gdb file from my website here … http://www.captainslash.com

Congratulations Colin, a major piece of work completed.

See you in Chiang Mai soon !

Ally

Another great set of tracks for riders to do using Mae Sariang as a base, looked like a great day.

ms to salawin natl park.jpg

Captain_Slash said:
It was an interesting ride and one I would possibly do again but only with at least one more rider.

Doing this trip alone is certainly not recommended. Going north from the point where you went back you will have to drive a major part of the trip in river beds, etc. There is a trip report on another forum (it is in German) of a small group who did this in a rented Toyota Fortuner. They went all the way to Sao Hin and the burmese border. There is a border crossing (I assume local traffic only) and they mentioned that there was a kind of tax free shop where they could buy sandwiches and wine. They spent the night at the police station as there was no guesthouse nor a restaurant in Sao Hin. On the way back they were guided by local people in a pick-up truck as the police considered it to dangerous for the group to travel back alone.

The trip report with pictures can be found here: http://www.forumthailandtip.com/index.php?topic=2322.0

Thanks for that info Auke, yes it looked like another riverbed trip like the one to Mae Sakoep

Great to see there are still so many dirt roads nearby.
Thanks a lot for sharing all those adventures Colin, can't wait to go poke around there during rain season once all the dust is gone.

Back
Top Bottom