Laos / Thailand border crossings

TobyJ

Hi there,

Me and a group are looking at riding our Cambodian registered bikes up into Laos and then looping back down to Cambodia through Thailand.

The bikes are all registered with cards and plates in Cambodia - but, the bikes are not registered in our names... is this a problem? Also, is there anything else we should consider? Is it true that we'll have to take out local insurance for the motorcycles when crossing into Laos?

Many thanks!

hairy biker

Insurance is compulsory in Laos but it is quite cheap as you can get insurance for the number of days that you will need it - this will set you back a few hundred Baht.

Leaving Thailand with a Thai registered bike and the bike is not in your name you will need to have written authorization form the owner. However, once you have crossed the Thai border into Laos or Cambodia, the Lao and Cambo authorities do not care if you own the bike so I guess that, once you have crossed the border from Cambo into Laos or Thailand, the ownership of the bike does not matter anymore and I bet that you won't have any problem crossing the borders with these bikes.

Back
Top Bottom