KTM Adventure 990 R

mt60

Hi Phil
Long time no speak, all well here in the Jungle the Versy clocked 15k now great bike but looking to buy a new toy, after seeing yout Orange ride, so here is my idea;
Looking to buy a new Adventure 990R from New Zealand have it registered my name etc, have the bike shipped here to Thailand air freight and, basically use the bike here for 2/3 years on temp import papers then return with the bike via Auz naybe spend 6/12 months touring there, what problems do you feel i will encounter??
Yes the main reason i hate to pay 1180000 baht when the same bike in NZ with tax and VAT works out at 555000 Baht a big difference for a Yorkshire Man.

Eric

Will do the report on that trip up North, just been trying to forget about it at the moment as travelling with a Guy with no life skills was hard, didnt realise people could reach 54 but have the same mentality of a 2 year old.

MR. M was pretty funny though, even if he had no skills!

Good to hear from you again, I like your choice of bike you're bringing over, a friend of mine in Brisbane has the "R" and a 950 Adv and says the power difference is outstanding, im jealous.

If you need any help or advice with the temporary import stuff i can help you & i also know a good shipping agent that can deal with problems in Bangkok if need be.

I would highly recommend shipping it here & not flying it in due to your immigration visa status, you HAVE to be on a tourist immigration visa to qualify at the airport for motorcycle temporary import into Thailand.

Here's how to do it by sea freight:

temp-importing-a-foriegn-reg-mbike-into-thailand-t101.html

By air freight:

post183.html#p183

Looking forward to the report - don't be too hard on Marv.

Wow
Thanks for the fast reply, your bike looked new when you brought it to Thailand??
How many of the 6 month extentions could you actually have??
I have read about people having bikes here over 5 years on the Temporary import papers?
No the ride up North was great, just his night time antics that got worse and worse, and you cannot ride a bike when you come home pissed from a all night session at 6am, to me its all about the riding, chicks and beer are every where here so no rush.

So what are the main differences between the standard and the R and i see also a 990 Adventure Dakar Edition in a blue and orange.

Eric

"How many of the 6 month extentions could you actually have??"

For the KTM 990 Adv i've probably renewed the temporary import 12 times. Currently you can do this indefinitely under Thai customs law, just respect the 6 month rule (where you pay a 2,000 bht fine for overstay)

So what are the main differences between the standard and the R and i see also a 990 Adventure Dakar Edition in a blue and orange.

Eric

mt60 said:

Eric

the guy that has one is Brisbane said its 20% more powerful, but i havn't confirmed that

KTMphil said:
mt60 said:

Eric

the guy that has one is Brisbane said its 20% more powerful, but i havn't confirmed that

G,day Phil

My 950 has 96 hp, my 990R has 115 hp. My 950 will struggle to pull a mono in 2nd gear using the clutch. My 990R will pull a mono in 3rd gear with no clutch at 95 km/hr. It has snatchy power down low though which aint so good mid corner. You do get use to it though. They are a brilliant all round bike that is perfect for thai bitumen bumpy roads unlike the crappy suspended er6.
The suspension on the 990R is 265 mm travel and only 215 mm on the standard adv. The standard adv has only 106 hp compared to 115 hp for the R. If your a short gumby rider go for the standard adv, If your over 5' 9" and would like more noticable hp with fabulous suspension go the R you won,t be dissapointed.
Kym

No have the New 2011 KTM adventure Dakar edition with the R engine, 460k bart from uk, would post picture but dont know how, but remember what you said about another forum, amazing yesterday posted and suddenly 16 other posts so it goes second third page, been whatching for a while, do concure what you said, used to call them in the UK the "BORN AGAIN RIDER" would kill their selves on the A65 every week. These Guys had a bike at 18 got to 55/65 years old with a bit off money buy a Blade, R1 or similar and remember when they where 18. Seems a lot get washed up here in Thailand.

And no the Versys is a good bike for the price, need to spend as much as the KTM Dakar to make it ok, but for for 1200000 baht just crazy, if you come to sell in 2/3 years maybe get 600/700k.

Back
Top Bottom