Kobe city and Kawasaki Good TImes World

Kamakura Kid

Last week I was in Kobe to help a friend adopt an elderly dog and bring it back to Kamakura. Japanese train and airlines aren’t too dog friendly, after all, so we drove down. While the dog thing turned out to be a last minute bust, it was for a good reason. The owner changed her plans to move to a different city, and therefore did not have to give the dog up. But, I digress...

Kawasaki Heavy Industries is NOT named for the city of Kawasaki. Rather, Kawasaki is the founding family’s name. The company started out in shipbuilding, and later branched out to trains, planes, and motorcycles. KHI is headquartered in the port city of Kobe, right next to Osaka. KHI is a major sponsor of the Kobe Maritime Museum, and has a dedicated wing called the Kawasaki Good Times World. Many Kawasaki motorcycles are displayed there, so of course your humble scribe just HAD to visit!

Overall, I was kind of disappointed. Not too many bikes on display. While the Good Times World is worth a visit if you happen to be in the Kobe area, I wouldn’t make a dedicated trip just for it. The Honda Collection at Motegi Twin Ring Circuit is much better.
I had to dodge a plethora of middle school kids in order to take my photos, so the pics are kind of out –of-order. Of course, my danged digital camera just HAD to run out of battery after only a few pictures, so I had to resort to crappy cell phone pix. Once again I’ve posted the link to my Photobucket album, and will only post highlights here.

Album link here:
Kawasaki Good Times World KOBE CITY pictures by wpb3pan - Photobucket

CA3I0765.jpg

CA3I0766.jpg

CA3I0764.jpg

CA3I0767.jpg

CA3I0761.jpg

CA3I0759.jpg

CA3I0757.jpg

CA3I0786.jpg

As some of you know, occasionally I dress up as the legendary warrior monk Benkei to help support Kamakura’s bid to be selected as a World Cultural Heritage site.

CA3I0669.jpg

Turns out my friend’s family live in the location where Benkei fought in a famous battle, so I'll turn this post over to him…

-

-

-

-

-

I had the occasion to revisit Ichi-no-Tani, the battlefield where my liege, Minamoto Yoshi-tsune, and I won a significant victory over the poofter courtier/warrior Taira clan waaaay back in 1184AD. The Taira were encamped on a narrow beach, spanning maybe 100 yards from the surfline to the base of a steep hillside (almost a cliff). While the waters were guarded by the impressive Taira battle fleet and both flanks heavily fortified, apparently the foolish Taira general felt the steep 45 degree slope was enough of an natural barrier to negate the requirement for posting a rear guard. He forgot to factor in the military brilliance of my liege! Lord Yoshi-tsune queried a local hunter to find out deer were able to descend the steep slope. Just around the corner from the promonotory, safely out of sight from the Taira camp, my Lord pushed four horses over the edge.

CA3I0858.jpg

Three of the four made their way safely down the slope. WOO HOO! So, while the Taira leadership was enjoying their fancy schmancy vegetarian lunches and listening to flute music played by a 16 year old heavily made up metrosexual boy warrior, my Lord and I led a cavalry charge down the steep slope. Completely surprising the Taira, we stormed directly towards the headquarters encampment and took it over. The terrified Taira generals retreated to the safety of the battle fleet, stopping just long enough to pick up the three Imperial Treasures and the infant Emperor. The only Taira officer to display any sort of courage was the 16 yr old boy warrior mentioned above. It was his first, and sadly last, battle. He met a noble warrior’s death which is still admired and respected in Japan today. His final words were even immortalized in song by the late Lord Nobunaga Oda, Japan’s first unifier.

A lot has changed over the past 827 years! The steep slope we charged down now features a very nice staircase. Wish that was there back then, would’ve made our task much easier.

CA3I0855.jpg

The blood soaked sands have been made into a nice family park, complete with flush toilet facilities (REALLY wish those were there back in 1184).

CA3I0856.jpg

CA3I0853.jpg

There was also a memorial commemorating the battle, and a very nice temple to care for the souls of those on both sides whom perished in battle all those centuries ago.

CA3I0852.jpg

As it turned out, even though we won the battle, because we failed to take possession of the Imperial Treasures and the Emperor, we had to wait another year to build up our own Minamoto fleet and engage the Taira at Dan-no-ura, in the Straits of Shimonoseki. That was an overwhelming victory, and established the Minamoto clan as the rulers of Japan. The Minamoto clan founded its capitol at the city of Kamakura, and ruled for the next century. Now, if only it hadn’t been for my Lord’s hen-pecked anal orifice of an elder brother Yoritomo……..but that’s another story.

Well, love to stay and chat some more, but I gotta check out. I see from the above photos that there is some hottie up in Kamakura whom is apparently quite fond of The Benkei. Think I'll track her down, appear in her bedroom tonight and show her my legendary skills with my "pike." :twisted:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil General Discussion 0
Back
Top Bottom