KMT Cemetary in Chiangkhong

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
93rd KMT Cemetery in Chiangkhong

Some time ago MacAlan Thompson made me aware of the Chinese Cemetery in Chiangkhong (clearly visible on Google Earth at N20.27293 E100.39955). All we knew that this was a cemetery for soldiers/fighters and their families from the Nationalist Chinese Army who settled in the north of Thailand after their defeat by the army of Mao Tse Tung. What I could not really figure out was why this cemetery was established here.

One of the best know settlements of these soldiers is Doi Mae Salong while others settled in and around Phatang (Pratu Siam). Another group settled down in Chiangkhong. Mac, who lived in 1969 in Houei Sai in Laos mentioned this about them: There were still active duty KMT officers at Chiangkhong, who'd occasionally come over to do some wine shopping. Tall guys, well set up. Northern Chinese? Never talked with them.

In the 1960s, 70s and 80s some of them fought on the Thai side again against Communists in the times of the Vietnam war. Later many moved to Ban Wiang Mok, some 30 kilometers Southwest of Chiangkhong. But, there is still their old cemetery in Chiang Khong, and it's still 'in use'.

It's a beautiful, quiet place overlooking the Mekong River and the plains to the South. Unfortunately, so to say, the place is surrounded by a barbed wire fence. Apparently this is because in the past trees on the cemetery were cut by some local people for the use of firewood. (Source: A Travel Guide for Chiang Khong, North Thailand)

GateCemetary.jpg

Memorial.jpg

Memorial2.jpg

Last year, while passing through I found the gate unlocked so had a peek inside and noticed that the cemetery was still in active use as a funeral had taken place the day before.
NewGrave2.jpg

View.jpg

View2.jpg

Great Pictures. I love to visit Chinese cemeteries. They are usually built in the best spots on the side of a mountain with a great view. The graves are also so well decorated but the cemetery grounds are not so well kept.

Back
Top Bottom