KLX250 2009-2010 Fuel Tank Recall - USA Only maybe

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
I've received a WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE from Kawasaki re: my 2009 KLX250S. It says on "eligible units the fuel tank could leak from cracks at the spot weld(s) on the side mount tabs due to stress caused by excessive clearance between the fuel tank and a frame mounted rubber damper. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death."

KAWASAKI in the USA is an excellent manufacturer representative. I've looked at the weld (bike has about 9,000 k's) and see nothing dripping but the recall asks us to take the KLX250S in for a free inspection and repair or replacement if required.

I "suspect" since the KLX's are made in Thailand the same welder may have worked in the plant on some of the many KLX's in Asia. It might be worth a "peek" at your welds if you have a 2009-2010 since some are second/third hand already and may not have received a Notice.

As a sidebar, a small flame where the weld is might make for an interesting rapid get-off as there are some precious human parts located there for some of us.

Interesting, the best KLX250 rental guy, at C&P Motors, has had to get so many tanks on his d-trackers/klx replaced under warranty here in chiang mai, that the Kawasaki shop boss refused to replace them any more. It sounds like the same problem, leaking at the seams, in the same place
So I think he found someone to repair them

Not exactly what I wanted to hear as I am pretty certain of buying one

I ride a 250H..2007 model...opted for it as its carbed....I changed my tank to a Clarks 10liter tank....needed the extra volume....

Back
Top Bottom