Kawaski Versys and chain problems

Changnoi1

Bikes
Kawasaki Z250
At 22k I replaced my standard OEM chain (DID 520 VP) because it was badly damaged. I replaced it with an original DID 520 VP2 (OEM) chain bought at an Kawasaki dealer. I also replaced the sprockets (original) and now at 31k (less as 10k!) I have to replace it again! Mind you the chain is not worn-out or stretched but damaged. And it seems I am not the only person .... I know at least 4 other Kawasaki Versys riders who have the same problem. A friend of mine just replaced his chain (DID) at 4.500km riding with it!!

Would the fault really be at "DID made in Thailand" chain? Then Kawasaki should not be selling it!!!
Or is there an design or building fault at (some) Kawasaki Versys?

Actually weird because looking on any DID web-site I do not see an 520 VP2 chain .... only sold in Thailand?

So I would like to ask all Kawasaki Versys riders who have chain problems (with DID chains or other chains) to put a complain down at your local Kawasaki Big Bike dealer. And make an complain at Kawasaki Thailand. Actually also with Kawasaki Japan.

And maybe we can make a list here of all riding a Versys and how much km you do with your chain? Just for the statistic because there seems to be an wide range of km's people make with chains.

Chang Noi

Yesterday 28 March 2013 I did receive an email from from Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD giving me the test results by DID and Kawasaki of my 2 DID 520 chains sold to me by Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD both with frozen links.

Their investigations results states that there is nothing wrong with the chains. So I must have been mistaken twice, as are a few people riding an Kawasaki in Thailand.

IMO this is utterly BS!

Currently my EK 520 chain is still doing very fine after 6000km. So if you buy an Kawasaki motorbike with an DID chain (new or secondhand) just have the chain replaces at once.

Chang Noi

Phil you have been living in LOS long enough to know that Thai are not used to get complains (as Thai normally do not complain) and complains go in one ear and go out the other ear. Staff will never tell it to their boss as that would make the boss loose face. Nothing happens if you make it easy on them. As long as not more & more people will file an written complain to Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD nothing will happen.

You can contact Ken Sakamoto at Sakamoto_Ken@Kawasaki.co.th. Or you can go to your local Kawasaki dealer and demand an written & signed complain to be registered.
Or as other people suggested send your old chain to the HQ of Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD in Bangkok (Rama 9).

Dear Mr.Ivo
Sorry to have kept you waiting,
but we received the test result data of your 2 drive-chains from DID through our QA.

DID cleaned up your drive-chains first, re-lubricated it again, and inspected it with several methods.
According to their test result, they could not found abnormal operation & abnormal noise from your drive-chains.(Of course, it does not operate like an all-new chain since time has passed after actually being used).

1. Dimension of chain length with in standard, and don't have noise problem.2. Dimension of inner width of inner link with in standard.
3. Re-check the smoothness of chain operation.

3-1. check by hand, and could not find any problem.
3-2. check by machine, and could not find any problem (these chains passed through the detector without stuck).4. After disassembly of chains and removal of parts from chain, they found grease coating in link of chain still.
After the inspection at DID, we got these chains,
and we also tested it with our "Test-Ride" motorcycle (Versys).
As the result, chains worked properly, and we could not find the problems by our riding test.

We already sent these 2 drive-chains borrowed from you back to our dealer in Khon Kaen.
As I mentioned in previous my e-mail, we provide you an new genuine drive-chain in addition to 2 used drive-chains.

We understand that you have suspicion about the quality of our genuine drive-chain,
but we would like to request you to use new genuine drive-chain which we sent you this time,and try to carry out a periodic maintenance in our authorized dealers in the future.

When our company changes the supplier or supply place of parts,our company test it carefully, and check the quality certainly.
We do not adopt any parts of inferior quality.

Please understand what we are going to do our best.Your understanding and acceptance is highly appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Ken Sakamoto
Marketing & Sales Division
Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.

To proof that Kawasaki and DID care about their customers I had a meeting today at the Kawasaki dealer in Khon Kaen with the Assistant manager of the Technical Service Section of Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD and an engineer of Research & Development of Daido Sittipol Co. LTD (DID). And there was an engineer from the factory Kawasaki Motors Enterprise (Thailand) Co. LTD. This all in the office of and with the owner/manager of the Kawasaki dealer Khon Kaen.

I was given back my first original DID 520 VP2 chain and my second DID 520 VP2 chain. And they repeated what I had been confirmed by email from Ken Sakamoto that there is nothing wrong with both chains. They said DID did clean the chains and then tested them. And I must say the chains that I have been given back feel almost 100% normal. But of course I am not sure if this are actually my old chains. And I do not know how they did clean them. But never mind.

Although not said by the letter, their conclusion is that I did not clean & lubricate my chains well enough. With my first chain that could have been the case, although I have never seen an mechanic at an Kawasaki dealer cleaning my chain. Lubricating yes, cleaning no! But never mind. I know for myself that I did take care of my second DID chain.

I also do not believe that Davidfl, TonyBKK, Grubman, Dave and others did not take care their chains of their Kawasaki bikes. I still believe there is something wrong with the DID chains or with the Kawasaki setup of the chain & sprockets. Although I doubt the latter as I think that would not result in frozen links. Maybe that due to low quality of the DID chain, the chain is very sensitive for dirt and needs more & better cleaning? According to DID this chain (DID 520 VP2) is also used on the Honda CB500 and on some Ducati bikes.

They offered me to install a brand new DID chain, what I refused as I still have a beautiful EK 520 SR05 chain. So they asked me if I would give them the opportunity to put an DID chain on my bike when the EK chain need replacement. I said maybe (depending on how good or bad the EK chain will perform).

The DID guy said that at the moment they are doing 2 investigations into the quality of DID chains, mine and that of another. They said that other people with the same problem should contact Kawasaki at Chalermpon@Kawasaki.co.th

So both DID & Kawasaki did give me an new DID chain. One that I can take as spare with me and one will be at the Kawasaki dealer in Khon Kaen. The owner/manager was a bit sad that I told that for service-checks I go to Udon Thani as I do not trust their mechanics (but that is another story)

Chang Noi

Thanks Chiang Noi, i have a service booked next week and have ordered a new chain at the same time.

Ally

Back
Top Bottom