Kawasaki KX 450 f MX bike as a great value fast trails bike?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
A good running bike can be picked up in Thailand anywhere from 60,000 -100,000 Baht depending on condition. It is a beast.

KAWASAKIKX450F-3178_2.jpg

Lets start with some reviews about the engine to give an idea of what you get for 60K:

2013 Kawasaki KX450F Comparison - Motorcycle USA

The Kawi pulls out of corners like a locomotive and flies down the fastest straightaways like a top-fuel dragster. This is really a brilliant motor. If you're looking for the best motor in the bunch, look no further. The engine defines the KX450F."

Strapped down to the MotoUSA dyno, the KX belted out a fourth-best 49.55 horsepower (fourth place) and a third-best 31.15 lb-ft of torque

Make no mistake about it; the KX450F has gained a reputation for having one of the strongest motors in the business

Last year, Kawasaki topped the score sheet in our 2012 450 Motocross Shootout thanks to a monster motor and predictable handling.

This will be an awesome fast trails bike. IF you want to have some fun & considering going this way, using it as a trail riding bike, you have to be realistic about what it can do.

- On tight slow stuff it will overheat very quickly, no fan etc.....

- Kick start only. Big, high compression 50HP motor, if its hot or overheated kicking it wont be fun.

- No side stand. No really an issue but worth mentioning

- Hard MX suspension

- Not road legal

-No lights

- Very tall/ high seat. Technical terrain will be hard to negotiate

Talked to some people who are pretty experienced with these bikes & it seems as an open trail bike, keeping the speed up where they wont overheat, these would be a blast to ride. Looks like a lot of fun from a quality bike for 60,000 Bht???

The standard MX bike has a tiny fuel tank, IMS make a 2.8 gal & 3.1 gal tank. 11 liters of fuel should give you 180-200km range, more than enoughj for a big day out.

Fuel tank link below:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10225/i/ims-large-capacity-fuel-tank

0000_ims_large_capacity_fuel_tank.jpg

Remember, this isnt going to be your do-it-all trail riding bike, but if you have enough money and space for another dirt bike, this could be great value for money.

I've just bought one and will report once its all sorted and tested.

kx 450 f.jpg

& that's even without talking about the motard options!

7super0220.jpg

Agreed.. Budget some or all mods like

Stand
Large tank
Bashplate (if you wish)
Barkbusters

Coolant catchment system
Battery powered fan and switch (still need to do this on my YZ)
Larger rads ??

Flywheel weight..

And its still a cheap bike.. Not for climbing last man standing, but useable enough on trails..

Often see really clean MXers going cheap.. Moreso than enduro..

Of course.. 17 inch rims and hoon the fuck out of it up suthep :)

Of course.. 17 inch rims and hoon the fuck out of it up suthep :)

I know - I'm going to have to get some motard rims.

I think if you're sensible about where you take it the radiator/ coolant expansion might not be needed but we'll see. I'm wondering if a temp. gauge might be useful on something is volatile?

Dunno if you'll find any trails fast enough around Chinag Mai.

I rode the KTM450SX that Travis had for about 10km, savage doesn't do it justice.

Dunno if you'll find any trails fast enough around Chinag Mai.

I rode the KTM450SX that Travis had for about 10km, savage doesn't do it justice.

I remember a few yrs back riding up soi 1 with a group one of whom had a CRF 450 F . After five minutes he had handed it to someone else with more in the way of skills . He Just managed to keep it on the mountain .... but only just !

The comment / concern about seat height , aren't enduro bike ( especially KTMs ) of a similar if not same height ?

Back
Top Bottom