Is this the ultimate road bike for north Thailand?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Is this the ultimate road bike for north Thailand?

The sports bike riding position of the Triumph Street Triple 675 has always put many potential buyers off, yesterday at the Triumph shop on Moon Muang Rd. in Chiang Mai, I think I may have spotted the ultimate production road bike for north Thailand, a Triumph Speed Triple 675 with raised bars.

189 KG producing 106 HP (@ 11,700 rpm), short wheel base, try and find a bike more perfect for the roads in north Thailand - Very very tempting.

6940029067_05f726405b_b.jpg

6793845472_97b02c66c1_b.jpg

6939960341_9bed68b2b7_b.jpg

6939960907_787184c130_b.jpg

6939960785_0a79652bf5_b.jpg

6793845870_ebe185f8ae_b.jpg

I rode one of these back-to-back with a Speed Triple a few months back in the mountains of Switzerland and the Street Triple - with standard bars - was a fantastic tool for the job. Light and with super-fast steering it is hard to think of a better street bike anywhere. Having said that, the extra grunt of the Speed Triple, which handles brilliantly for a heavier bike, won me over, but pound for pound, the Street is a fantastic bike and I hope they start making them in Thailand soon!

Great looking bike and love the photo with the blurring in the background, very professional and cafe looking. Did you take this with your pocket camera?

6940029067_05f726405b_b.jpg

The Speed Triple has the 1050cc engine and I think the bike in the picture is the "Street Triple" 675cc. What price is the Street Triple? must be around 600K new! both have fantastic engines. I had a go on the Daytona a few years ago and those engines are sweeeet!

Now my opinion on the ultimate road bike for North Thailand

2012-Ducati-MULTISTRADA-1200-Wallpaper.jpeg

Great looking bike and love the photo with the blurring in the background, very professional and cafe looking. Did you take this with your pocket camera?

It was at dusk, just got lucky with the "auto" shutter speed! Taken with a Nikon D90

For long hauls, your new Ducati Multistrada is the best choice, but I think the 675 speed triple would be more fun and faster say on a Nan trip.

KTMphil said:

It was at dusk, just got lucky with the "auto" shutter speed!

For long hauls, your new Ducati Multistrada is the best choice, but I think the 675 speed triple would be more fun and faster say on a Nan trip.

This may change your mind. Note from the video, this bike is a completely stock MST S Touring

Cant wait, when we going?

johnnysneds said:
KTMphil said:

It was at dusk, just got lucky with the "auto" shutter speed!

This may change your mind. Note from the video, this bike is a completely stock MST S Touring

Cant wait, when we going?

I`d be up for a pootle out to Nan when your new Duke turns up John,keep us filled in.

KTMphil said:
Feel a N.O.B Nan trip evolving ............ :lost

Awesome, thats something to look forward to. NOB invades NAN!!! :RE

List price of the Triumph Street Triple 675 in Thailand is 690,000 Bht. Tum (Partner of BritBike Triumph dealer in Thailand) mentioned to me 720,000 Bht, maybe a lost-in-translation though, he could have been talking about the "R".

Below is their price list as of February, 2012

BritBike Triumph Thailand price list March 2012.jpg

KTMphil said:
List price of the Triumph Speed Triple 675 in Thailand is 690,000 Bht. Tum (Partner of BritBike Triumph dealer in Thailand) mentioned to me 720,000 Bht, maybe a lost-in-translation though, he could have been talking about the "R".

[attachment=0:x3fh6ibt]BritBike Triumph Thailand price list March 2012.jpg[/attachment:x3fh6ibt]

Daylight robbery. You can get the Street Triple in the UK for 328,000 Baht brand new!!!!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycles/triumph/street/675cc

johnnysneds said:
KTMphil said:
List price of the Triumph Speed Triple 675 in Thailand is 690,000 Bht. Tum (Partner of BritBike Triumph dealer in Thailand) mentioned to me 720,000 Bht, maybe a lost-in-translation though, he could have been talking about the "R".

[attachment=0:1t0wu9dx]BritBike Triumph Thailand price list March 2012.jpg[/attachment:1t0wu9dx]

Daylight robbery. You can get the Street Triple in the UK for 328,000 Baht brand new!!!!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycles/triumph/street/675cc

But it rains every day there, you'd never be able to use it?

KTMphil said:
Now Mr. Stokes, who probably has more knowledge about modern high performance road bikes than most of us leans towards the 2012-KTM-690SMCR being the ultimate north Thailand road machine. Im told Colin has ordered one.

2012-KTM-690SMCR1-small.jpg

2012-KTM-690SMCR3-small.jpg

2012-KTM-690SMCR4-small.jpg

Review below:

http://vinz-motorbikes.blogspot.com/201 ... rices.html

I have a friend in BKK who has just picked one of these up. Its basically exactly the same as an Enduro R with Supermoto rims and slightly stiffer suspension.

That seat is an ass cheek killer! 1 hours sitting on that would be enough for any rider, first mod I think

KTMphil said:

Certainly a nice bike (not sure about that big space below the seat?) great engine but at a fair premium.

KTMphil said:
Now Mr. Stokes, who probably has more knowledge about modern high performance road bikes than most of us leans towards the 2012-KTM-690SMCR being the ultimate north Thailand road machine.

2012-KTM-690SMCR1-small.jpg

2012-KTM-690SMCR3-small.jpg

2012-KTM-690SMCR4-small.jpg

Review below:

http://vinz-motorbikes.blogspot.com/201 ... rices.html

Love the bike.. It and the 2012 690 duke are in the top 10 maybe even top 5 wish list.. But ultimate might need to tour a bit rather than just hoon.. And then I lean to Johnny's MS heavily..

Not even sure I would take a street triple over the speed triple.. The street isn't very roomy for my size.. Tho the speed is overkill for a lot of the road conditions..

Looks like the same LSL bar risers and bars I have on mine.

It has to be a contender for the perfect bike up here in the North. Superb handling, super light(167Kg) decent fuel range and comfortable, triple cylinder combining torque and great power.

I've been riding mine here for six months now and can safely say this is the best all round bike I've ever owned. The engine is smoother than anything I've ever ridden and by a long way and the gearbox is unbelievably slick.

This is my ninth Hinckley Triumph so some might say I'm a biased brand whore but I have owned loads of different types and brand of machine over the years. Riding a KTM single is about as fun as it gets but to do serious miles on one like I do. No thanks! ER6 great bike for the money but a bit agricultural and a V twin just can't stand the fucking things.

Of course mine does not look as nice as the one in Phil's photo but that's just down to the seat and luggage system I've had made. I'll try and post some pics later.

Three is the magic number

Phil

I think those bars with the risers are standard; at least they are on my 2009 model from new. The standard Street triple has a riding position that is far from what would be described as “Sports”
My Street Triple is three years old and has 11,000 kilometers on it.
I find it an average bike although very enjoyable to ride. It is additive to doing wheelies as they are so simple on that bike but mine, at least, has a number of issues that I really don’t like and would stop me buying again.
Maybe they have fixed these in the newer 2011-2012 model.
The 2013 Street triple that I have seen spy photos of is completely changed and may be turn out to be a great bike.

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I find it an average bike although very enjoyable to ride. It is additive to doing wheelies as they are so simple on that bike but mine, at least, has a number of issues that I really don’t like and would stop me buying again.

Brian - what material things don't you like about it?

Back
Top Bottom