Incidents: R2M Thailand Superbikes 2011 Round 3

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
As this was uploaded to YouTube three weeks ago and already has 130,000-odd viewings, I ought to post it here

[VIDEO]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm8L778DhR4[/VIDEO]

Here is the blog post that accompanied it, which was published on FMSCT-Live on 20th June and is reproduced here by kind permission

253789_1599352962625_1800065030_1053572_5168718_n.jpg

By Barry Russell | Photo by Champ Yusawat

Last Sunday’s combined R2M SB1 and SB2 superbike round was one of the strangest motorcycle races I have ever seen. A video clip of all the main incidents can now be seen on the Motorsport TV Facebook Page.

With the championship beginning to look like a two-horse race between ‘Stamp’ Apiwat Wongthanonanon and ‘Tingnote’ Thitipong Warakorn after mechanical problems have caused Saksit Sanakhan to fall back, further interest has been added by the late appearances of multiple champion and Thailand’s most experienced superbike racer, ‘Superbird’ Saen Choisak and Panpund Team’s Mickey Walker who was playing himself in by entering the SB2 category.

With Stamp, Tingnote, Saksit and Superbird making up the front row, the drama began before the race got underway, as Superbird launched off the line while the lights were still red. He made a ponderous three-point turn and then rode back through the grid, u-turned and re-took his grid position. The starting procedure was repeated as the bikes got hotter and the riders got more edgy and, to the disbelief of everyone watching, Superbird jump started again, though stopped more quickly this time and paddled back to his place on the outside of the front row.

When the lights went out for the third time, Walker’s overheating Honda, on the outside of the second row, bogged down badly and he eventually spluttered away at the back of the field. “The bad start was because my engine was very hot and the water blew over my hands and my face,” he explained. “It was too long spending on the grid with the engine running, then when we start racing the engine is shut down, just like that.”

Tingnote got away in the lead, but, with the rebound on his front forks not working, he was passed by Stamp in turn one on the second lap. As the Panadda Racing rider grappled with his front forks and looked around, he collided with the side of Stamp’s bike, as the Elf Smart Honda went into the lead. The video replay shows clearly that the contact was accidental.

While Stamp led, Tingnote kept his rival under pressure by making sure he could see he was there. He made clean pass into the final corner and Stamp came back at him on the home straight, outbraked him into the first bend and executed the now notorious kick as they leaned into the corner. A fired-up Tingnote chased and passed Stamp cleanly again and made it stick to take the chequered flag 2.5 seconds clear.

Then followed the post-race incident, when the two teams confronted each other in the paddock, which is being looked into carefully by race officials, who will make an announcement in due course. Certainly, emotions were running high as the riders got to parc ferme, but friends and officials intervened to calm things down and the only sign that there was anything wrong on the podium was Stamp’s sulky demeanour.

On-track battles are a part of racing and what makes people turn up or turn on to watch; all race officials need to do is contain the rivalry for the safety of competitors and spectators. Stamp’s action was a clear infringement and he will take his punishment and, we hope, develop a cooler head that will enable us to see the best of his talent. Superbird's bizarre infringements were punished too, with a 60 second penalty for his two jump-starts which dropped him from third on the road to fifth in the results.

However, It is the post-race incident that has the most damaging effect because it brought shame to motorcycle sport in Thailand and to the sponsors of the teams involved, who must be wondering at the thuggish behaviour of people they are paying to add value to their brands.

The leadership of all teams in the paddock have a duty to impress upon their members that supporting the efforts of riders to win includes keeping cool when emotions on track are running high. A reassuring word and an arm around the shoulder of a psyched-up racer is far more constructive than assaulting a rival team member. Take a breath and count to ten: for all the ferocious rivalry in MotoGP, when did you ever see even a hint of a physical confrontation between team managers and mechanics?

It is sincerely hoped that everyone involved will learn from last Sunday’s incidents and that we will see clean, close racing when the integrated R2M/Motorcycle Mag SuperBike Championship re-convenes in just over one week for the next Motorcycle Mag Round at Bira International.

With thanks to FMSCT-Live for the right to reproduce

Announcement by the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of Thailand (FMSCT) Regarding the Incident at Thailand Circuit on 19th June 2011

This announcement follows continuing discussion in the media about the racing incident when ‘Stamp’ Apiwat Wongthanonanon kicked ‘Tingnote’ Thitipong Warakorn and the post-race incident between team mechanics that followed it. In particular it addresses calls to increase the penalty to Stamp and notes that the rider has apologised publicly for the incident.
The results of the race stood and both riders awarded championship points accordingly.

The kicking incident occurred as the riders braked for the first turn, a right-hand hairpin bend taken at low speed. Stamp had the inside line and Tingnote-Thitipong was on the outside. The video of the incident shows that the Stamp kicked as Tingnote attempted to come across to take the position on the racing line in order to defend himself. The Federation notes that Tingnote is a more experienced rider and Stamp joined the Thailand SuperBike class in the current season after racing automatic and family motorcycles.

When Tingnote’s team manager, Panadda Wongphudee, appeared on the popular TV show Evening News with ‘Sorayud’ she claimed that her rider could have crashed and been killed as a result of the strike. It goes without saying that nobody wants to see death or serious injury in the sport of motorcycle racing, but the danger was less in this case because the weight of the motorcycle and rider were leaning to the inside of the corner, so the kick merely caused Tingnote to stand the bike up and allow Stamp to exit the corner in the lead.
Regarding the post-race incident, the Federation regards this as extremely serious and points to precedents of teams being suspended for two years for causing disorder in the paddock.

A race track is not a public highway, it is a circuit where high speeds are reached by competitors who fight hard for results and the honour of winning. Conversely, competitors and teams have to accept results when they do not win.

FMSCT has supported the career of Tingnote since the rider began to race in motocross at the age of six. In the light of their support, the comments of Panadda Wongphudee on a commercial TV show that Federation members should wear skirts is disrespectful and inappropriate.

In the light of all the above it is the decision that the original penalties stand.

Note by Barry: The announcement was read out in front of TV news crews from Channels 3 and 7 and Sport TV and other motorsports media. Following the announcement, Stamp’s team manager, SuperBird Saen Choisak paid the 10,000 baht fine to FMSCT President, Thongchai Wongsawan and spoke separately to the media. Stamp’s mother and other family members were also in attendance.

Seems like a pathetic punishment to me. Stoner punched a rider and paid about 180,000 baht for it. So did the rider he punched as he was deemed to have ridden dangerously. Money is usually easy to come by especially for the MotoGP scene. 6000 dollars for a MotoGP rider is peanuts, 330 odd dollars for a Thai team rider also seems way too small to me.
If it were me making a ruling on intentional physical contact, I would rub them out of racing for a few meetings.

If you want to biff someone take up boxing.

The reasons for the decision are in the statement, and the penalties were carefully considered. Financially hammering a talented rookie for the kind of offence that goes unpunished every weekend in the MotoGP junior classes would not have sent out the right signal. Having to apologise in front of a packed rider's briefing and present Tingnote with a posy of flowers was the more powerful part of the punishment by far. He also knows that suspension will be automatic in the event of a repeat. Stamp's on and off-track behaviour and attitude has improved markedly since the incident and penalty.

Far more serious in my view was the paddock disorder caused by members of Panadda Racing and the thuggish threats being made publicly after the event. The team is extremely fortunate to have got away with such a small fine and a warning yet refuses to accept it and, until the above announcement, was still pushing for harsher punishment for the other rider, who happens to be leading the championship. What do you think would be the public reaction if Casey Stoner, Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa continued to complain about being skittled off by Rossi or Simoncelli six weeks after the event? And there was no crash, injury or loss of points involved here!

At least the TV coverage of the controversy will increase spectator numbers!

I think there is a big difference between an intentional physical contact by using your arms, hand, fist and legs as to a racing crash where the riders simply fell off. People who decide to hit another person as in fighting deserve to be banned permanently.
A racer expects to be touched by a bike. I happens all the time. However, a racer is not expecting the guy coming past you to extend his fist or leg and hit you.
In the fall of Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo, all three riders ran into the back of the person who fell in front of them.
Rossi nor Simoncelli “took out” Their bike did not slide into and make the three of them fall off. That managed that all by themselves.
So there was no intentional or dangerous riding in those incidents. There are uncountable moves just like the three incidents above in every class and every race. There are about 15 such moves at the first corner in every Moto2 alone.
Same in World superbikes, 125’s, BSB the list goes on. That is normal racing.
Stoner, Pedrosa and Lorenzo have done exactly the same thing in the past so they shouldn’t complain.
I have been involved in similar crashes. Many actually.
Punching or kicking someone isn’t racing. I haven’t been involved in fighting at the circuit.so there is something different there
If he were in my team, he wouldn’t have a job with me now regardless of how good he is.
But there again, I am a sook and don't like fighting!!!

Somehow I missed your reply, Brian, sorry.

Yes, the strike was wrong and stupid, the boy was punished, took it, apologised and went back to racing - and the paddock - with a better attitude. In the context of the whole race, if you watched the video, there is some mitigation, as Tingnote had slammed into him hard, knocking off his gear lever (in error, though Stamp did not know it) earlier in the race on the same corner and there had been a lot of contact throughout.

People will always argue with referees and criticise them and the Federation is happy to accept it, as you only get useful feedback in controversies, not when everything is running smoothly. The penalties were imposed thoughtfully after looking at all evidence and listening to all sides, including arguments similar to your own. Stamp has improved, while Panadda Racing's continuous complaining on the one hand that he should be disqualified and, on the other hand, denying that there is anything wrong in their team members' attack on Elf Smart Honda mechanics is boring the living crap out of the rest of the motorcycle racing community in Thailand!

I should add the disclaimer that these are my personal views and should not be construed as those of the FMSCT.

Back
Top Bottom