importing a bike in Cambodia

brody713

Bikes
KTM XCFW250, Beta Ev0 250, KTM Duke 640
I'm about to ship a bike to Cambodia and plan to leave it there for a few years. I have never done this. Is there anything I should know before doing this? Will I have to pay duties, taxes, etc..

Any advice would be much welcomed

brody713 said:
I'm about to ship a bike to Cambodia and plan to leave it there for a few years. I have never done this. Is there anything I should know before doing this? Will I have to pay duties, taxes, etc..

Any advice would be much welcomed

I looked into it around two years ago.

What bike are you importing, new/secondhand, make, size, year ?

Is it registered in your name.

Fees vary and will depend on the above.

The bike is a KTM XCF-W 250 2011. It is second hand technically since I rode it 9h in Canada already. It is not licensed in Canada. I think the book value was around 6000$ CAD

I spoke to an shipping company for transport and for customs in Cambodia here's what I was told:

"The import tax is 25% on the declared CIF value.
Then there is a 10% VAT calculated over the CIF value + import tax.
The total to be paid becomes 39.15% over CIF value.
If the importer is not a registered company but a private person there is an additional tax of 20% on CIF."

I think I might be able to strike a deal with a local bike shop i know so he could import the bike for me so I'd save the additional 20% tax.

But for the 25% import tax and 10% VAT, what value will they use to calculate? Book value? or Could I have an "alternate" invoice made from my dealer in Canada...

Hi,

Save yourself the hassle and buy a bike in Phnom Penh that is tax paid and has registration. It's not so difficult. If you really want to ship the bike and go thru the process, get someone in country to help as much as possible. Try to contact Bernard from Red Raid as he may have a quality machine for you to purchase - tax and plate included. Local fixer might be found via Jim at California 2 or maybe the guys at Flying Bikes.

On another board is a guy named Harry the Finn (or here?) and he's a legend for Cambodia riding. He may have some up to date answers.

Believe me, I have gone through the process of debating the issue with myself! The thing is, I am stuck with that beautiful KTM in Canada, all modified and pimped up to my taste. If I sell it there, I lose a bundle. I even tried to sell it anyway and couldn't find a buyer. Now is way too late in the season in Canada to sell it (very short riding season up there...). Hence my decision to cough up some dough and move the bike closer to where I now live.

brody713 said:
The bike is a KTM XCF-W 250 2011. It is second hand technically since I rode it 9h in Canada already. It is not licensed in Canada. I think the book value was around 6000$ CAD

I spoke to an shipping company for transport and for customs in Cambodia here's what I was told:

"The import tax is 25% on the declared CIF value.
Then there is a 10% VAT calculated over the CIF value + import tax.
The total to be paid becomes 39.15% over CIF value.
If the importer is not a registered company but a private person there is an additional tax of 20% on CIF."

I think I might be able to strike a deal with a local bike shop i know so he could import the bike for me so I'd save the additional 20% tax.

But for the 25% import tax and 10% VAT, what value will they use to calculate? Book value? or Could I have an "alternate" invoice made from my dealer in Canada...

Those figures sound about right. I was quoted 39.15% tax all up when I inquired.

For secondhand bikes, the value is calculated based on year of manufacture and engine size.
For example:
My 2007 DRZ400S was imported by Flying Bikes in Phnom Penh. A 2007 DRZ400S has a customs book value of USD2000 so the tax was $2000 x 39.15% = $783. I still have a copy of the tax invoice (calculated in Cambodian Riel) and it verifies those figures.

For new bikes, the tax is 49.15% of the new bike price (customs have a data base for this so no cheating with fake invoices) plus the shipping cost.
So if the new KTM cost say $7k and another $500 to ship, you pay 49% tax on $7.5k. !

In addition, you need to use a customs broker this end that will arrange an import licence and various other fees. 2 years ago I got 4 quotes that averaged around $600 .

You need to contact a customs broker here and find out the current customs book value for your bike, plus their costs for processing everything for you. I suggest you try DHL for a quote because they will give you an honest quote. Some of the other mobs will underquote to win your business. Also need to know that you will be taxed for a used bike, not a new bike.

Then it's a simple question, the numbers/viability of importing the bike either make sense, or don't.

Back
Top Bottom