Immigration Rumours and/or News

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
From the rumour mill at various farang news fora

Chiangmai Immigration. The option to make an appointment with Immigration for One year visa Extensions has been suspended till the new Building would be ready for use in a about 2 years or so.. People with an appointment should have no problems I was told but no new appointments can be made with the Queue system at the Chiangmai Immigration Website indicating that it has been disabled.

Another item (hopefully a rumour) is that Chiangmai Immigration has decided that they can only handle 20 applications per day for long term visa extensions. If there are more than 20 applicants, they will have to make use of one of the agents (Immigration has a list of these approved agents) who can handle the extension for the sum of 3000 Baht which apparently does not include the 1900 Baht for a one year visa extension. I was told that this was only the case in Chiangmai but when other Immigration offices hear that Chiangmai can get away with this new found money earning scheme they might start developing/using similar rules.

In addition it seems that at the moment the Cambodia border crossings and the one at Phu Nam Ron to Myanmar turn away visa runners (people who want the 15/30 day extensions - people with multi-entry visa apparently are not affected). No reports have come in for the Lao border crossings. However, there is no official confirmation from the Thai Immigration about this.
More info at Thai Visa: Reports-thai-cambo-border-check-points-closed-to-visa-runners-with-immediate-effect

Queue system has disappeared for patently untruthful reasons (they say it cant handle 2 locations, yet in the booking process you had to answer what type of non imm anyway, so why cant they simply handle marriage ones at airport and retirement ones at promenada anyway.. totally easy).. I was lucky I snagged an annual appointment just before the system went offline and they are honoring them apparently.

Everything about the entire 'shift'seems designed to push you into the arms of agents who are obviously in cahoots with immigration $$.. reform before erections or some such..

Interesting article but I am sure that some early birds people would disappear from the queue and rejoin the queue at the end (something they did mention in the article as what might happen).

From the rumour mill at various farang news fora

It seems that at the moment the Cambodia border crossings and the one at Phu Nam Ron to Myanmar turn away visa runners (people who want the 15/30 day extensions - people with multi-entry visa apparently are not affected). No reports have come in for the Lao border crossings. However, there is no official confirmation from the Thai Immigration about this.
More info at Thai Visa: Reports-thai-cambo-border-check-points-closed-to-visa-runners-with-immediate-effect

UPDATE: As of 18 September these 3 border crossings to Cambodia still refuse to let In/Out Visa runners cross the border: Ban Laem/Daun Lem, Ban Pakard/Phsa Prum and Aranyaprathet/Poipet while also the Thai/Myanmar border crossing Phu Nam Ron near Kanchanaburi is also doing the same (no crossing for In/Out Visa runners).

All other crossings seem to be OK at the moment.

Slightly off topic but can you enter Cambodia at the Osmach international border crossing with a Thai registered pickup (on a Non-O Thai immigration visa of course!)?

Slightly off topic but can you enter Cambodia at the Osmach international border crossing with a Thai registered pickup (on a Non-O Thai immigration visa of course!)?

Yes, you can but make sure that you are the owner or have written permission from the owner to take tha car out of Thailand.

At the Cambodia side at customs (Osmach crossing) , down the hill from Immigration , they will ask for your vehicle papers and ask you where you want to go. If you say anywhere outside the border province , like Siem Riep they won't let you carry on. When they ask , you need to say Samrong or somewhere close and and they just wave you on. Then you carry on to Siem Riep for example. They are supposed to give Cars a notice to stick on the dashboard (I think showing the border province name) that is handed back on leaving Cambodia. It maybe be a hassle leaving out of a different border crossing without any " notice" to give back, but as they don't do any import papers , I just drive up , walk and get stamped out , get back in the car , wave to the guy asking for the "notice" and drive out.

There probably is a proper and legit way to do it, proper import papers etc , but have never actually heard of anyone doing it with a car. So you take the risk of being in country with no import papers for the car, but have never had a hassle and been right across and around Cambodia a few times. Remember like Laos they drive on the right, and basically , richest and biggest always have right of way.

That's a huge help Harri, thanks. Always found this so confusing.

At the Cambodia side at customs (Osmach crossing) , down the hill from Immigration , they will ask for your vehicle papers and ask you where you want to go. If you say anywhere outside the border province , like Siem Riep they won't let you carry on. When they ask , you need to say Samrong or somewhere close and and they just wave you on. Then you carry on to Siem Riep for example. They are supposed to give Cars a notice to stick on the dashboard (I think showing the border province name) that is handed back on leaving Cambodia. It maybe be a hassle leaving out of a different border crossing without any " notice" to give back, but as they don't do any import papers , I just drive up , walk and get stamped out , get back in the car , wave to the guy asking for the "notice" and drive out.

There probably is a proper and legit way to do it, proper import papers etc , but have never actually heard of anyone doing it with a car. So you take the risk of being in country with no import papers for the car, but have never had a hassle and been right across and around Cambodia a few times. Remember like Laos they drive on the right, and basically , richest and biggest always have right of way.

Went there early 2014 with my son in my Thai registered truck. Initially the Thai side said No but when we pointed out that the car was in my name it was no longer a problem. The Cambo side was not interested - just Immigration stamping out and while the Customs guy did get out of his hammock he was not interested where we were going (Siem Reap) and on we went. Like Harry said, you are driving in Cambodia without the car being there legit and in my case no insurance, so drive careful.

Om TrollVisa today:

BANGKOK:-- Thaivisa.com understands that Immigration officials at some checkpoints on the Thai-Cambodian border are starting to issue some Out/In stamps.

This latest update comes via Thaivisaservice.com who told Thaivisa.com that Immigration officials at Ban Laem/Daun Lem, Ban Pakard/Phsa Prum and Aranyaprathet/Poipet will allow Out/In stamps for "Westerners/Japanese/Russians" in possession of a valid double/triple tourist visa or multiple non immigrant visa.

However, people from ASEAN nations even with valid visas are still not be issued Out/In stamps.

Out/In stamps for visa exempt entries are still not permitted for any nationality.

There is no update from the Phu Nam Ron border in Kanchanaburi.

Last week, officials from Immigration Division 3, which includes the border checkpoints mentioned above, suddenly stopped issuing Out/In stamps, even for those people with multiple entry tourist or non immigrant visas

UPDATE: As of 18 September these 3 border crossings to Cambodia still refuse to let In/Out Visa runners cross the border: Ban Laem/Daun Lem, Ban Pakard/Phsa Prum and Aranyaprathet/Poipet while also the Thai/Myanmar border crossing Phu Nam Ron near Kanchanaburi is also doing the same (no crossing for In/Out Visa runners).

Om TrollVisa today:

BANGKOK:-- Thaivisa.com understands that Immigration officials at some checkpoints on the Thai-Cambodian border are starting to issue some Out/In stamps.

This latest update comes via Thaivisaservice.com who told Thaivisa.com that Immigration officials at Ban Laem/Daun Lem, Ban Pakard/Phsa Prum and Aranyaprathet/Poipet will allow Out/In stamps for “Westerners/Japanese/Russians” in possession of a valid double/triple tourist visa or multiple non immigrant visa.

However, people from ASEAN nations even with valid visas are still not be issued Out/In stamps.

Out/In stamps for visa exempt entries are still not permitted for any nationality.

There is no update from the Phu Nam Ron border in Kanchanaburi.

Last week, officials from Immigration Division 3, which includes the border checkpoints mentioned above, suddenly stopped issuing Out/In stamps, even for those people with multiple entry tourist or non immigrant visas

My secretary said that they are currently only giving 6 month visas, not 1 year, at Chiang Mai, which was confirmed by people who went last week. However, a few people have said a new head of immigration is coming so they may revert back to doing 1 year visas. This is for Non-Imm O visas.

Anyone get a 1 year in the last month?

My secretary said that they are currently only giving 6 month visas, not 1 year, at Chiang Mai, which was confirmed by people who went last week. However, a few people have said a new head of immigration is coming so they may revert back to doing 1 year visas. This is for Non-Imm O visas.

I'll be there in about two weeks to extend my retirement visa and I would be quite pissed off if they would only give a six month extension instead of 1 year.

Retirement might still get 1 year -- I'm not sure about that. But everyone I know working with an NGO or non-profit is getting only 6 months. Not sure what is happening with 1 year business or retirement yet. Post when you find out what happens with your visa.

It is a total train wreck right now with the two locations and new limits on how many people can get processed each day. Hard to believe they've made it worse and less efficient, but they have.

Visas are issued outside of Thailand.. extensions are issued at local immigration.. Chiang Mai is 100% giving 1 year annual extensions currently.

I can report on mine end of next week.

Chiang Mai is 100% giving 1 year annual extensions currently

Not for Non-Imm Type O. Maybe for other categories, but our office has been told only 6 months by immigration, and several people I know who have gone for the 1 year extension have only gotten 6 months, and they have been getting 1 year extensions for a long time. So it is a new change, but may be linked to the type of visa being extended.

I would expect that retirement visas are unchanged, but don't know about Non-Imm Type B (business) visas.

Let us know how it goes.

I will be going for an Non Imm O 12 month extension next friday.. It will as always for my class go under review for 30 days..

B's are currently getting 12 months, as are O retirements and marriage and dependent child support.. Clampdowns on ED visas have been happening, with good reason IMO, but of course the funny thing is you can now 'buy' an ED visa for 32k a year for 'self defense' taught by the military police and I am told theres no issue about lack of attendance. So they are making it hard work for the language students and pushing the pocket money to a military police 'school' and exempting themselves from the 90 day reviews that language schools now have.. Nice move !

Volunteer visas depend on the company / charity thats providing coverage /sponsoring the application.. As theres no word on ThaiVisa, where the slightest policy change generally gets howls of complaint, its probable it relates the the particular thai registered charity paperwork rather than a national policy change.

I am a bit confused though as the volunteering visa extension, even unpaid, should typically be on a non imm B.. You mention people 'working' and NGOs but any work, even volunteer work, needs work permit and typically gets based on a non imm B (It is legal to work on a non imm O for marriage extension, but not legal to work on a non imm O for retirement extension). When it comes to the issues of work permits and the combination to visas thats a whole other issue, and the visa is often restricted based on the length of work permit, tax records of the company (or NGO), etc etc etc..

Long story short (too mate !!) someone working for an NGO shouldnt typically be applying for a non imm O anyway.

Volunteer visas are always supposed to be Type O:

Non-Immigrant Visa "B" -- To Work in Thailand
Non-Immigrant Visa "B" -- To Conduct Business in Thailand
Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)
Non-Immigrant Visa "B" -- To Teach in Thailand
Non-Immigrant Visa "ED" (Education)
Non-Immigrant Visa "O" -- Voluntary Services

If someone is volunteering and on a B, that is a loophole -- I know some people who do that, but that is actually not correct. The confusion is if you are "working" (Type B) or "volunteering" (Type O) both of which could be for an NGO (Thai Foundation). Both require a work permit.

Last December they were giving immediate 1 year approvals for Non Imm O -- no 30 day waiting period. They haven't done that in years (although they used to), then in January stopped and only were giving 6 month extensions, with the 30 day waiting period.

It isn't specific to the NGO, but seems to be that NGOs with non-Thai's on their board are the ones that are having difficulty. I know several organizations and individuals that are having problems post-coup who have been operating here for years, all above board, all with the correct paperwork. The military government is requiring extra review for any organization with non-Thai's on the board for re-registration for the organizations, and may be doing the same with visa extensions. I'm not surprised it doesn't show up on Thai Visa since that is a very specific demographic. :-)

But as always, this may change with a change in leadership at Immigration.

Good luck next week -- let me know how it goes!

OK I have only known people volunteering (fully legally with the work permit etc) on B's.. Perhaps its down to the basis of the organisation they work for, like a commercial enterprise could have a volunteer and a NGO could have a volunteer ?? Does that make any sense ??

Do they still link the work permit to those O's ?? Because thats a whole nother thing that can screw up visa durations, havimg less than X amount of time on the work permit..

Mine will be a married app.. which always needs 30 days review added onto the current permission to stay so kind of varies how long you need to wait to get it.. 2 years ago they screwed it up and it took 2 lots of 30 days under review and I applied almost 30 days early so almost 3 months of messing about waiting. At least I was lucky and scored one of the last online queue applications as that 4 am waiting game isnt one I would want to play.

The latest Thailand immigration visa scam is a foundation offering B visa's and you have to give 4 training classes to the Thai police within 12 months! Serious. Cost is around USD$ 1,000 per year for the visa, unbelivable.

Rainbow Foundation is one offering this.

The latest Thailand immigration visa scam is a foundation offering B visa's and you have to give 4 training classes to the Thai police within 12 months! Serious. Cost is around USD$ 1,000 per year for the visa, unbelivable.

Rainbow Foundation is one offering this.

Funny how thats so close to the price the military police 1 year ED visa costs.. 32k baht..

Reform before elections or something..

Immigration office in Phayao

This might be handy for people living in the Phayao area - I was informed that in October 2016 the Thai immigration opened an office in Phayao. The office is located in the old Police station, Don Sanam Rd. - coordinates 19.168623 and 99.903609.

Back
Top Bottom