How much cash should you carry, when off-road biking?

Constantine Phaulkon

Given that off-road villagers don't take credit cards, how much cash should you carry with you off-road, and in what currency? I guess US dollars are good everywhere, but Thai baht in TH, and Laos currency in Laos, etc, makes logical sense and it's easier to figure prices. But if you carry too much cash, let's say a year's worth of wages, you might tempt some villager to do some crime; but carry too little cash and you'll run out. I guess you can always have a friend somehow wire money by Western Union or you can use your ATM card if you're near a large town, and you can pay whoever is helping you get to that large town, so I would guess carrying too little money is better than carrying too much money.

So, for a three night trip, how much cash do you need to carry? I would say USD $60, round to $100 and say 3000 TH Baht? So that's 1000 B a day. Sound good?

You won't tempt anyone to steal from you if you don't reveal that you have the cash on you or hide it well. Given common sense appearances and behaviors, I really couldn't possibly be less worried about getting robbed in this country.

I carry quite a lot more cash than you suggest. If the worst happened and some sort of accident with another human, animal, or property transpired, I want to have enough money to make everyone happy and not involve any authorities.

Constantine Phaulkon said:
Given that off-road villagers don't take credit cards, how much cash should you carry with you off-road, and in what currency? I guess US dollars are good everywhere, but Thai baht in TH, and Laos currency in Laos, etc, makes logical sense and it's easier to figure prices. But if you carry too much cash, let's say a year's worth of wages, you might tempt some villager to do some crime; but carry too little cash and you'll run out. I guess you can always have a friend somehow wire money by Western Union or you can use your ATM card if you're near a large town, and you can pay whoever is helping you get to that large town, so I would guess carrying too little money is better than carrying too much money.

So, for a three night trip, how much cash do you need to carry? I would say USD $60, round to $100 and say 3000 TH Baht? So that's 1000 B a day. Sound good?

CP - it depends how far from civilization you're headed, most medium sized towns in Thailand and Laos have ATM machines.

As a general rule, if we're going exploring off road in Laos, I'll have the equivalent of USD$ 1,000 with me, some in USD$.

Cash solves problems here whether it be logistical or legal. You can get your bike transported by a farm vehicle for cash or you can diffuse an accident scene pretty quickly without involving officials and probable bribes.

Bring small notes because most places won't have change for 500 or 1000 baht bills.
I never bring dollars, can't imagine anyone accepting it (if then even know what it is).
But I'm only traveling within Thailand don't know about other countries.

MastaMax said:
Bring small notes because most places won't have change for 500 or 1000 baht bills.
I never bring dollars, [glow=red:2vpjzsxn]can't imagine anyone accepting it (if then even know what it is)[/glow:2vpjzsxn].

Cambodian ATM machines spit out USD$.

You'll find most places in the world accept USD$, Laos included.

I never bring dollars, can't imagine anyone accepting it (if then even know what it is).
Was just talking about Thailand, can't imagine the hilltribe people accepting dollars. But I agree with you about bigger cities.

Old habit, even several follow riders did so in Canada, is securely stash a good chunk of money well hidden on your bike. Means you always have a extra bit if someone needs it.

And thank to this thread reminding me I will right now be removing the 11,000 baht sealed in a small zip lock bag, and well duct taped out of sight, from my bike I'm selling. :DD

Back
Top Bottom