How dangerous is motorcycling?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Looks like it's the 5th most dangerous "main stream" sport activity you can do!

(as a side note - there are about 1000 golf cart accidents/month in the USA). The actual data varies quite a bit study to study depending on methodology but the ranking of the sports is quite consistent. Another interesting
report on safety/injuries across sport.

ActivityInjuries per million hours

Himalayan Mountain Climbing

Skydiving24752
Skiing4225
Football1900
Motorcycling1692
Squash1300
Basketball1100
Rugby844
Soccer600
Scuba Diving381
Swimming206
Water Skiing54
Cricket52
Bicycling50
Offshore Sailing42
Golf37
Flying (scheduled domestic airline)29
Home living (awake)5
Home living (awake + asleep)3

Source: Risk Management associates

I know horse riding is a major one for injury also..

I am surprised at football, but I guess its not accounting for severity of incidents.. Not met many people who lost a limb or life playing football.

^

It's an a American survey, so 'football' and 'soccer' are differentiated.;)

Not met many people who lost a limb or life playing football.

No but Ive met many who are so obsessed with watching 22 overpaid wankers kicking a bag of wind around a football field that they didnt seem to have a life though

^

It's an a American survey, so 'football' and 'soccer' are differentiated.;)

Soccer can be dangerous as well.....
Gazza-Vinnie-Jones.jpg

...At least if you are playing with Vinnie Jones :lol:

What about Sex ,, thats dangerous too, muscle sprains , HIV, STDs , infections,, being stabbed by jealous partners etc etc ,, if you want to be safe dont get born .

Of course your motorcycle can be made safer if you can keep your motorcycle from falling over, see the example below;

[video=youtube_share;n9AVUgTBupM]http://youtu.be/n9AVUgTBupM[/video]

Cycling is missing often from these lists, and practiced cyclists will travel the same speed they'll scoot at, with light clothing and no helmet well riding AGATT. I raced bicycles for over a dozen years and have many pictures from cycle racing; light gloves and a tiny helmet (which in the 80's almost no one wore one) and pictures playing motocross (never raced) decked out in full protective gear...one on pavement with only a layer of spandex, the other on plowed dirt, traveling slower most of the time, wearing full kit...:excuseme:

No but Ive met many who are so obsessed with watching 22 overpaid wankers kicking a bag of wind around a football field that they didnt seem to have a life though

haha...and who can pretend to be hurt the most after a tap on the legs. Looks life threatening at times 55

Well I can certainly ride a motorcycle longer than a woman ,,,and motorcycling is cheaper and I cant make a bike pregnant ,,,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Maoser Bike Talk 6
2wheels Bike Talk 8
Back
Top Bottom