Honda small engine engineers do it again

Constantine Phaulkon

Honda invents a new small 125cc ICE engine that is much more fuel efficient.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/honda- ... k=obinsite

Tokyo, Sep 26, 2011 (JCN Newswire via COMTEX) -- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced its development of an engine with enhanced durability, quietness, and fuel economy. The engine is developed for next-generation 125cc scooters and accommodates an advanced idle stop system for motorcycles. Fuel economy is approximately 25%* better than that of conventional engines for scooters with the same displacement. This liquid-cooled, 125cc, 4-stroke, single-cylinder engine incorporates a wide range of low-friction technologies while packing its lighter weight in a more compact body.

Good to see that they get idle stop on bikes now, my parents car has it and it takes a bit getting used to -you always think you forgot it in gear and that it is stalling when you stop at red ligths...

One thing that I read about recently was a 6 stroke engine -giving about 40% less fuel consumption and slightly better torque, interested to see if that takes off or if the evil oil companies will buy up the patents for that too...

Hassman

"or if the evil oil companies will buy up the patents for that too... "

I have a bit of experience dealing in patents from my day job. It is, in my professional opinion, a myth that companies buy up patents so that the technology does not get developed. It's analogous to saying all bikers are criminals and/or tough guys and/or into drugs. Well, maybe that's not a perfect analogy.. LOL

But indeed since the price of oil is usually (historically) cheap, energy efficient motors rarely get by the drawing board stage and remain somewhat rare (or so it seems, though this last statement may itself not be entirely true either, as everybody generalizes about things they don't know a lot about).

Back
Top Bottom