Honda CB 500 X adventure bike conversion

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With the new Honda CB 500 X getting such great reviews, wouldn't it be great if it could be used as an adventure bike, not just a road bike?

Robin was in Nan yesterday and spotted this, a CB 500 X with an adventure bike conversion

11991757103_35fa0d3f18_o.jpg

19 inch front wheel and softer suspension and you're basically done!

11991835494_3486aa0ce4_o.jpg

& it isnt just a dressed up road bike like the Triumph 800 XC, looks like they really can go off road, see for yourself, below ---- this might be very very interesting and a cheap adventure bike created very cheaply.

11992283836_2bd081c13c_o.jpg

That is great news, that would be just the right size, not sure about the weight so, but maybe lighter then the Africa Twin. Will be looking forward to see more of this. As my bike are getting older and older, it is maybe time to think about some upgrade.

The bike in the photo has Honda crf 250 r (motocross bike) wheels 21" front / 19" rear and cut down mx front springs. Talking to a few people today, looks like the Honda crf 250 l wheels would work with some fabricated spacers (21/18 ") but the crf 250 l springs will be too soft, mx bike springs are probably the way to go.

I'd be interested in a 500X motard conversion using the 43mm forks and triple clamps of the CRF250M with stiffer springs and keeping the stock 17" street rims and rubber.

Sort of a CB500SM, a 471cc twin cylinder supermoto like the Aprilia SXV4.5 but not as capable and good-looking, but also not as expensive...

May be useful info here guys; I don't have time now to check.
Excellent concept though.

I wonder how a 21 front - 18 rear spoke set-up would work. I'd really like to be done with KLRs forever.

I've now done 12K on my CB500X. covered all the type of 'road' surfaces you can find I suspect.
a 1700 KM trip last week mainly on back roads had me thinking how a bigger front wheel, better tyres and a bit softer suspension would be ideal.
Although the Bike handled the dirt, ruts, loose gravel etc.. quite well, it wasn't a comfy experience and I was pining for my KLX .
on the main Highways home the bike was superb as ever.

Honda rules..pricewise, servicewise etc . great little project! so tempting

Thanks for the details 'TB-Racing'; very comprehensive.

RE "……… never mind the associated (high) costs of a completely new front end, much longer shocks, and re-routed exhaust? "

Only a few days ago I was discussing the Thai built 500X 'Cross Challenge' as seen in this thread and they calculated that by using all new CRF250L
front end components the cost would be 80,000 baht. Then there's such other factors as tyres, rear suspension etc.

Still think this 500X conversion is the way to go.

(Somewhere on RA Phil has posted a bit about a place (we think in Pattaya) doing these conversions but we can't locate that particular story again!!!!)

Thanks for the details 'TB-Racing'; very comprehensive.

RE "……… never mind the associated (high) costs of a completely new front end, much longer shocks, and re-routed exhaust? "

Only a few days ago I was discussing the Thai built 500X 'Cross Challenge' as seen in this thread and they calculated that by using all new CRF250L
front end components the cost would be 80,000 baht. Then there's such other factors as tyres, rear suspension etc.

Still think this 500X conversion is the way to go.

(Somewhere on RA Phil has posted a bit about a place (we think in Pattaya) doing these conversions but we can't locate that particular story again!!!!)

Would love to know of a 'one-stop shop' to do such a conversion. A great option to the ever growing Thai ADV bike scene!

Got it...replied, maybe a little too extensively for a first idea exchange?

For anyone interested, this is a very feasible project and would yield very reasonable results at a very reasonable budget...though that budget can quickly change based on requirements such as suspensions, wheels and brakes, tank and seat last but not least...Phil has brought up a very good subject here, thanks.

Yes, thanks for that. It was an extensive and interesting read. I very much appreciate your ideas!

Base cost of a CB500x is 215K, with cheap (CRF?) parts what would be an approximate cost? With quality parts, like those you mention, what would the cost hit? (I know those Touratechy tanks can go for around 75K!!!)

If only Honda would release the much hyped 2015 Elsinore 500cc some time soon :worthy:

If only Honda would release the much hyped 2015 Elsinore 500cc some time soon :worthy:[/QUOTE]

Intermot is a few days away ..with a crossrunner 800cc sure thing. now lets see the 'surprise' and if it makes it to Th...:ride:
the CB500X conversion also looks very interesting..

I consider ordering a CB500X and I am thinking about the first modifications, does anyone have an idea where (and at which costs) I can get below parts in Chiang Mai?

Crash bar
Aluminium Engine Guard
Hand guards
Rear rack for top case
Center stand
Radiator guard

Marcel, Big Wing Chiang Mai has this 500X 'Adventure' on the floor now.
When I checked about the price the salesman (Khun Nook 0851934369; reasonable English) gave me a 'between this and that' price, indicating that they are flexible
with the pricing. You may be pleasantly surprised.

DSC03208.jpg

DSC03209.jpg

Thanks Ron, can you mail me the this and that price please?

your best bet is going there 'cash in hand' and get the deal..shame, I was there this morning trying to get a clue of price n when the VFR800 crossrunner arrive.

oh !just recalled ,this guy has a black one for sale in CM .was asking 170K but has only the rear box as accessories .looked in very good shape. T- 0857094849

I consider ordering a CB500X and I am thinking about the first modifications, does anyone have an idea where (and at which costs) I can get below parts in Chiang Mai?

Crash bar
Aluminium Engine Guard
Hand guards
Rear rack for top case
Center stand
Radiator guard
Don't know about CM, but all that stuff is available at Honda Big Wing in Udon. Best guess is that Big Wing in CM would be the same.

Hi Garzan, buying at Honda Big Wing you pay profit margin on top of profit margin, I am Dutch so I prefer cheap.

Here's a pic of Rally-Raid products project CB 500X conversion. It's got 19" and 17" excel rims, longer travel suspension, rear rack, skid plate and custom exhaust; I believe they will also manufacture a rally style fairing in a later phase. Testing is about to begin on this bike.

D5237E80-841E-48B5-B9EA-3FDC3DC902EB_zpshzkrpdju.jpg

Hope it comes soon and i will cancel the V Strom XT strangling

Would appreciate if you could keep me updated Craig I'll be shopping in CM in April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a pic of Rally-Raid products project CB 500X conversion. It's got 19" and 17" excel rims, longer travel suspension, rear rack, skid plate and custom exhaust; I believe they will also manufacture a rally style fairing in a later phase. Testing is about to begin on this bike.

I wonder what they did to get longer travel on those forks - replaced them?

I went for the CRF250M because I didn't need all the power, speed and weight but rather wanted real suspension, like 43mm forks with real travel.

When I realized that the X has only about half an inch more travel than the sporty CBR500R I went for the 250M.

Yes they are being replaced in the 'Adventure Conversion Kit'. Check out post #176 on this page Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X - Page 12 - ADVrider

"Immediately the suspension action will be improved by replacing these with correspondingly longer springs - that are also of far higher quality... while the +30mm increase in ride hight/travel will be obtained using custom machined internal parts - produced exclusively by RRP (note. prototype parts shown in the photo below)"

E02BBB2E-3203-4430-B114-A4EE68630C3F_zpska8x0z0i.jpg

9A006E14-9252-4A13-A032-E9A20DC52DD5_zpsfj34qjlq.jpg

Further details on suspension for those interested and not following the thread on ADVRIDER:

"So to answer your initial question: the front forks will have +30mm travel over standard, so near on 7" overall. Similarly at the rear, while our mule is currently only lifted +30mm, it is envisaged that the rear shock will offer more like +50mm when the specification is finalised, effectively equalising the overall travel at each end (the stock shock being 4.7" currently).

This is effectively the same suspension travel offered by the BMW F700GS (which we consider the benchmark in the development of this project)... and coupled with the 17/19" wheel set, we envisage the CB-X will have similar levels of on and off-road performance and handling.

All being well, the production parts for the conversion ought to be available for sale from March this coming year."

Thanks for the info, parts being available meaning you buy all the bits and find a worthy mechanic to do the fit out? ( also where will the parts be available to buy from?) and buy a stock standard X from dealer I presume?

Thanks for the info, parts being available meaning you buy all the bits and find a worthy mechanic to do the fit out? ( also where will the parts be available to buy from?) and buy a stock standard X from dealer I presume?

Yep, parts will be available from Rally-Raid Products in the UK. Stock CB 500X here will set you back 215,000฿

Rally Raid Products are debuting their conversion at the famous Ace Cafe, today.

Here's a few pics of the converted test mule, albeit currently with the stock exhaust.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Full details and prices appearing on their website very soon: Rally-Raid Products Ltd

Edit: An additional pic from the event.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom