Hinthada-Pyay-Magway-Mount Popa-Naypyitaw

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
I had four days off recently after finishing up a teaching gig in Hinthada.

Hinthada had some interesting places around it. Check out this bridge.

745 kilometers over four days. The next bridge I went over was almost as harrowing, particularly since I suffer from a touch of agoraphobia, a fear of heights and wide open spaces. Driving over the Patthein River on a rail bridge with huge gaps leading down to the water and absolutely no barriers on wither side of the bridge... harrowing.

About 50 kilometers after I had stopped for coffee, I realized something that made me feel very stupid. I wasn't wearing my backpack! Where was it? It had to be back at the tea shop all the way back over that horrible bridge. In that bag was most my money, my passport, my computer... would it still be there when I got back? I sent a personal speed record on my little Kenbo 125 heading back to that little town just north of Hinthada.

The road from Pyay to Magway typified Myanmar's tree-lined highways. Always in the shade. Traffic not too bad. And fascination by the locals at every gas station or tea shop.

One thing of interest to this forum is at 1:53 in the following video. I encounter a group of German and Swiss riders on big Kawasaki bikes they'd brought in from Thailand. I'm guessing whoever organizes this reads this forum.

Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted my footage from Magway to Mount Popa, but Popa itself had enough to make a video.

The last video, Popa to Naypyitaw, typifies another aspect of traveling by motorbike in Myanmar. Google maps showed part of the road to be a highway... it was anything but.

This was the path...

hinthaadanpt_zpsbaubs3uo.png

Great videos again and happy to see that he backpack was kept safely at the restaurant.
I've got to say I've found ordinary Burmese people scrupulously honest - they have to rank up there with the Japanese . I left a laptop on a train going out to a village from Tokyo. Never mind said my host, it'll be at the station tomorrow - and sure enough it was, having travelled all the way back to Tokyo and then been sent back for me to collect. Wouldn't fancy the chances of that in Sydney!
Those videos really capture the atmosphere - the bridges make me think you wouldn't want to have a large bike there!!

Oh man , these great videos of yours.
Thank you for taking the time to do these . Its giving me an excellent insight as to what i can only hope is still available for when i ride out there.
The bamboo bridge crossing thing . do you know exactly where it was ? i would so love to try something like that .
Glad you got your backpack returned .

Back
Top Bottom