Highways Department is renaming several highways

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Road from Nan to the Thai-Lao border (Chaloemprakiat to Mueang Ngeun) renamed from 1080 to 101

Noticed yesterday that road 1080 has been renamed as road 101. Not sure if this permanent or another whim of a government official as happened north of Loei where a few years ago the 201 was renamed as road 27 with all new signs but after a month or so all the old signs re-appeared.

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7351.JPG

I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago when returning from Laos. Was a little confusing and managed to take a longer way to Nan.

Rd 203 from Loei to Lom Sak re-numbered as Rd. 21

Not sure what is going on and why the Highways Department has started re-numbering / re-naming roads but after Rd 1080 from Nan to the border with Laos was renamed from 1080 to 101, I noticed several other roads having new numbers. Road 203 from Loei to the west to the Kok Ngam Intersection (Dan Sai) and presumably onwards to Lom Sak (did not check this) has been re-numbered from Rd. 203 to Rd. 21

The junction in Loei with Rd. 201 to the north-east to Chiang Khan and Rd 21 going to the south-west to Phu Ruea and Lomsok
IMG_9579.jpg

Still some work to do as not all signs have been changed yet - here the Kok Ngam intersection where you head south to Lom Sak and west to Dan Sai on Rd. 2013. The overhead sign still shows Rd. 203 going to Lom Sak but the smaller signs along the road show it as Rd. 21

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg

Rd 1047 from Mueang Chet Thon (Pu Doo border crossing) to near Uttaradit renamed to Rd 117 and Road 1241 renumbered as Road 1268

As I got on Rd 1047 near the Sirikit Reservoir (Sak Yai junction) where I headed east, I am not sure up to where the re-numbering of this road goes. However, as the existing Rd 117 runs from Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan, I assume that other roads from Uttaradit to Phitsanulok have been renumbered as well but I have not checked this

Rd 117 (formerly Rd. 1047) starts at the T-junction of Rd 117/1047 with 1268 and 1241 (apparently now re-numbered to 1268)
IMG_9603.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

Now looking at the pictures I took of the road numbers it appears that Rd. 1239 running south from Nam Phat has been re-numbered as Rd. 1339
IMG_9595.jpg

and Rd. 1146 from the turnoff to the Sirikit Hydro Power Plant to Rd. 1047 / Rd 117 has been re-numbered as Rd 1045.
IMG_9594.jpg

New roadnumbers.jpg

This is all very confusing as all the paper maps, the GPS maps and for instance all the signs along the road showing the tourist attractions in each province still show the old numbers while the real roads show the new numbers.

Like I said, I have no clue why the Highways Department changed the numbers of the road as in my opinion it does not make sense. However, I remember from about 6-7 years ago that the road from Loei to Chiang Khan was renumbered from Rd. 201 to Rd. 27 and about 2 months later all the new numbers had gone and the old road numbers were back along the road so it may also be that someone in the Highways Department may have been in need of a quick cash injection from the people who make make all these signs

Thanks Auke I was on the 117 last week on was initially confused when I saw the highway markers as the map showed different.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom