Hello! DR250 rider from Aus.

Liladv

Bikes
DRZ250
Hi,

I've been lurking in the forum for a few weeks, thought it was time to introduce myself.

I live on the coast of NSW, but am planning a few weeks riding in Northern Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (time permitting!) this June / July.

The forum, especially the trip reports have been very helpful in my planning and general day dreaming about this trip. The photos are amazing and I can imagine they probably don't do justice to the real thing.

Well, here is me:

and my bike:

It is like a little, mini adventure bike - I'm fairly new to riding and it helps that I can still pick it up by myself without waiting for one of the boys to come back and help but it still let's me get out and explore :)

hello 'liladv' ! :your welcome: yes this forum it's very interesting and I had lots of helpful info as well.
u said north Thailand ..let me know if u ride through Pai (where I live).nice bike ,I also have a 'mini-adv' ,a modified CRF250 ;)
keep in touch ,you could join for a ride if u like .ciao
Sergio

G'day Liladv and welcome.
With that set-up it looks like you may have already done some interesting rides in the back-blocks of NSW?
Hope to meet you when you get over to northern Thailand. (might be a bit wet though!)

Hi Liladv. Am back in Sydney for a few months. Happy to chat with you about riding in Thailand. Have done 20k kilometres there past 2 years. Ian......

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm thinking I want to hire a bike for the Thailand part of my stay. It would be great to hook up with some locals, have a ride or even just for a chat.

That tank is a second hand Acerbis 20 litre. It has been awesome, my riding has come along in huge strides since I've had it. Wind protection, 450km in a tank so I can do a full days ride now rather than being limited to sticking near towns and it balances the bike nicely. Plus I think it looks a fair bit sexier with it haha.

I'm up on the northern coast of NSW, CRF rainbow. It's a shame because I have so many questions that are far to mundane for a forum but to sit and chat with someone and run things by them would be great - but learning while I'm there will also be great part of my holiday experience too though!

Welcome Lil.
I last resided in Tweed but now here in CM.

There's a heap of dirt riding and exploring to do around the north of LOS.

Enjoy and don't be shy to ask any questions as there's a lot of very knowledgeable bike riders here.

Thanks Loop, the site has been great. Everything I think of something I can usually find the answer on here. The ride reports have been great for motivation factor too.

It has been quite wet in Coffs over the last few weeks - usually puts me off riding. Just how wet is it going to be in June? Is it usually an afternoon shower or just constant rain through the day around that time of year?

Thanks Loop, the site has been great. Everything I think of something I can usually find the answer on here. The ride reports have been great for motivation factor too.

It has been quite wet in Coffs over the last few weeks - usually puts me off riding. Just how wet is it going to be in June? Is it usually an afternoon shower or just constant rain through the day around that time of year?

Ah,Coffs...not far from where my family are from.
One of our most experienced and knowledgeable riders is residing there as we speak.

June is usually around the start of the wet here.
More often than not you will get rain up in the higher peaks that time of the year.
Usually an afternoon storm anywhere else.
But also some of the clearest and nicest riding days can be experienced at that time of the year.

Bit of the luck of the draw.

Yeah, I'll give him some time to settle in before I start hassling him :)

Little over 3 weeks to go, getting excited!

I am struggling to find a travel insurance that would cover me riding a bike 250cc or bigger as well as the hire bike itself (not that I intend to prang it!). Most of the small print excludes motorbikes as a hire vehicle for insurance purposes. Any Aussies or ex-pats have suggestions?

And Phi Ta Khon is on in June but I have found 3 conflicting dates, does anyone know the proper date?

Got away for a 3 day ride last weekend - very cold and wet. Least it'll be warm if it rains while I'm over there :)

Hey, I use CGU.
Covered for any bike as long as you have a licence in your home country.

Travel Insurance Australia - Domestic & International | CGU Insurance

never had to claim so can't answer if they pay out or not.

Read the PDS first.
I ring & ask them every year if "hire vehicle" covers a hire bike & they tell me yes.
Ring them for a policy & ask the same question as they record all conversations so if they deny it you are covered.

Well I am 3 weeks into a 5 week holiday. Itinerary was out the window on the first day, it has been awesome. I spent about 2 weeks riding in northern Thailand, spent some time in Luang Prabang and tomorrow I fly to Siem Reap.
Any suggestions on a reputable bike hire place in Siem Reap?

Thanks for the link Lone Rider, very informative. I was reading a bit on the web last night, found it would be too difficult for the short time I have and decided to go with a one day tour with Cambodia Trails.
But after reading that, it may still not be legal to ride a bike. Or does it only apply to city centres?

Thanks for the link Lone Rider, very informative. I was reading a bit on the web last night, found it would be too difficult for the short time I have and decided to go with a one day tour with Cambodia Trails.
But after reading that, it may still not be legal to ride a bike. Or does it only apply to city centres?

No sure about that but apparently people can rent a bike in PP or Battambang or in other cities and drive to Siem Reap and use the bike in Siem Reap without to much of a hassle. To me it looks like one of those rules which benefits the local companies who organize tours to the temples and maybe the police get some benefit out of that.

Attachments

• Cambo-1 (Large).jpg
    Cambo-1 (Large).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 249

I haven't ridden with them, but we met them in NE Cambodia about 18 months ago. I keep in touch with Aki via FB. Seems to do some good rides.

If you want to spend a day or two (or three) going through the temples, contact Sojeat Chin (aka Jeat) on FB and he'll see you right. He's a great guy - a good friend of mine. Lovely young family too. If you want his phone number or email, I can provide. Jeat can meet you at the airport and assist. He's got tuktuk and aircon van.

Thanks for the replies, I had a brilliant ride. Really glad I went out for the day. I ended up riding with Ride Expeditions and would throughly recommend them. Excellent service, excellent guide.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Meg ..give us some photo's ..would be great to see. Glad you had a good time

Thanks for the replies, I had a brilliant ride. Really glad I went out for the day. I ended up riding with Ride Expeditions and would throughly recommend them. Excellent service, excellent guide.

Ok but I am a technologically challenged so I apologise in advance if this doesn't work

436e78ce25936c523ccbef1cadbd809c.jpg

- my first ride in Thailand: Samong loop with Phil, Som, Steve and Mark

36af698a07561884477a9c7b7a1ab4c2.jpg

- 4 days, Chiang Mai to Mae Sariang. First time riding 2-up, first time being on a bike going fast - found it a little bit terrifying.

75648e03cf4dc84ec3073c91e601ec22.jpg

- waiting out the rain

62a6ed9a248e031c7abcb747dede46e2.jpg

c7bbd8e60d94179910afb29789bdd1b3.jpg

2be88a8e88bd17fc53bf12f43c5332db.jpg

7d8ca9105cd3169096390a6ede9806ed.jpg

- excellent riding with excellent people from Chiang Khong to Nan with David & Mai

54d6c3763e0eef48a5bebd9737975901.jpg

- Nan to Dan Sai with Oddvar

6c4b1591435049454a616f67ee36d026.jpg

- Ride Expeditions, Siem Reap. was great to see the guides using DRZ250's & I was aboard "Holly Golightly" the owner's personal bike - TTR230.

And now I am sitting in a hotel in Bangkok, feeling very wistful for those days on the bike in Northern Thailand again!

Back
Top Bottom