Google Nexus 7 Tablet as a touring device for communications and basic nav.

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
I've just received my Google Nexus 7 /7" tablet which start at USD $199. Obviously there's numerous tablets on the market that run an android operating system, it's google's user interface that makes this one interesting, especially at 200 bucks

tablet-n7-features-ushome-family.png

There's a good wiki description of the devices development in the link below

Nexus 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kindle Fire HD V's the Google Nexus 7 shoot out in the link below. I have a Kindle Fire and don't find the screen very flowing to the touch, the Nexus 7 is much smoother.

Kindle Fire HD vs. Google Nexus 7: Which $199 tablet deserves your cold hard cash? | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

CNET's review of the Google Nexus 7 tablet below:

Google Nexus 7 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

The 16GB version of the Google Nexus 7 tablet is USD$40 more, one of the -ve's about this device is there is no expandable memory, all these companies are pushing you to use cloud memory storage. the screen is excellent, really bright. Spend a couple of hours down loading all the useful free apps - skype (it will video call on skype) , alarm clock, media player, facebook, dropbox (for storage), weather, news, emergency flashlight, camera launch, notes page, doodle page, instant message etc..... & you've got the basics covered, basically the same as any android phone.

& the home screen will look like this:

View attachment 10045
View attachment 10051

There's now a plethora of navigation applications for android and apple devices, these are the ones I've downloaded, that will show position and save your tracks

View attachment 10046
View attachment 10052

There's a useful app to show how healthy your GPS signal is in the tablet device, quite handy

View attachment 10047
View attachment 10053

I'm a huge fan of compass direction when exploring, there's now loads of decent compass apps

View attachment 10048
View attachment 10054

Even apps set up to show your gps position in decimal or time (nautical) format

View attachment 10049
View attachment 10055

A neat function is that a blue tooth keyboard and mouse will work with the Google Nexus 7 tablet, taking a way that cramped feeling.

View attachment 10050
View attachment 10056

This might be the Apple MacBook Air (which is probably the ultimate travel computer right now http://www.apple.com/macbookair/), touring communications device, beater, mainly due to it being a 5th of the price.

If you've got no wifi, if you have a smart phone, you can use that as a wifi hotspot for wifi for the Nexus 7 tablet...... all very neat.

What's it like for uploading photos to, Phil? Any hard disk capacity?.... I know nothing about these things btw

I have to say was tempted by a N7 but with a recent model ipad cant see myself justifying it..

Sygic should provide good routable mapping options using esri maps.

If you've got no wifi, if you have a smart phone, you can use that as a wifi hotspot for wifi for the Nexus 7 tablet...... all very neat.

Yes, if ones smartphone has hotspot capability, there's no need to pay extra for a tablet with simcard.
The lack of expandable memory on the N7 could be covered if your smartphone has expandable memory, like the Samsung Galaxy for example.

Only function lacking with the N7 is I cant plug my Garmin device into it unless they make one that runs windows/mapsource, or Garmin make a mapsource that runs on Android.

Only a matter of time I suppose.

Only 16 GB, so not ideal for photo and video storage. You'd have to buy some internet cloud memory space (dropbox etc....)

Good article below comparing cloud memory storage, quite important now with more users headed in the tablet direction. Looks like "Glide " gives 30GB free, i'm looking for the catch.

A comparison of FREE Cloud Storage Services

How much free storage do I need?

Although the answer to this question is up to you, this issue was explored in a previous post entitled "How much free cloud storage space do you really need?", which posited that 7 gigs may be the magic number.
Inclusion criteria: what the services have to offer to be on the list

• A free plan: obviously
  • Desktop folder sync: a desktop client that syncs a local folder or folders with the cloud. Services that offer this only with a paid plan were excluded. This is also why most 'file locker' type services were excluded.
The Comparison

• Sorting order: the services on the list below are sorted in descending order according to the amount of maximum free storage attainable for each.
  • Recommendations: if you want to know which services we like here at Freewaregenius, go to the 'recommendations' section below.
  • Links: go down to the links section for sign-up links. In most cases you will get the initial extra referral bonus.
Cloud ServiceMax File Size Upload [1]Initial Free StorageExtra Free Storage Per FriendMax Storage Ceiling (including max extra bonuses)Supports Versioning OSPhone Apps# of devices supported
Cloud ServiceMax File Size Upload [1]Initial Free StorageExtra Free Storage Per FriendMax Storage Ceiling (including max extra bonuses)Supports VersioningOSPhone Apps# of devices supported
Idrive500MB5GB1GB / referral. 10GB for sharing with your contacts list50GBYesWin, MaciOS, Android1
Sugarsync2GB5GB500MB. A range of tasks will net you extra storage as well.32GBYesWin, MaciOS, Android1
Glideno limits30GBno referral program30GBYesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Android6
Dropbox2GB2GB500MB16GBYesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Androidunlimited
CX (Cloud Experience)no limits10GB300MB16GBYesWin, MaciOS, Android, Kindle Fireunlimited
Memopal5GB3GB500MB13GB [2]YesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Android, Blackberry10
Safecopy [3]5GB3GB500MB13GBYesWin, MaciOS, Androidunlimited
Mimedia3GB7GB1GB for each 5 (200MB / friend)12GBNoWiniOS99
Teamdriveno limits2GB250MB10GBYesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Androidunlimited
HiDrive2GB5GB5GB for each 10 friends (500MB / friend)10GBNo (not on free plan at least)Win, MaciOS, Android, WP71
Comodo Cloud Storage2GB5 GB200MB10GBYesWiniOS, Android1
Spideroakno limits2GB1GB10GBYesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Androidunlimited
MegaCloudno limits5GB500MB10GBYesWin, MaciOS, Android1
Wuala14GB5GB250MB8GBYesWin, Mac, LinuxiOS, Android1 [6]
Skydrive2GB7GBno referral program7GB [4]YesWin, MaciOS, WP7 (3rd party Android Apps)unlimited
Amazon Cloud Drive2GB5GBno referral program5GB [5]We think not [6]Win, MaciOS, Android8
Google Drive2GB5GB + 1GB Picasa storageno referral program5GBYesWin, MaciOS, Androidunlimited
Synplicityno limits2GB1GB5GBYesWin, MaciOS, Android, Kindle Fire2
[1] This will also depend on your browser or OS file size limits
[2] We couldn't find documentation for this, but found it in practice
[3] Safecopy seems to be a mere rebranded copy of Memopal, with a few minor differences between the two,
[4] Legacy accounts have 25 gigs free, and if you have a Hotmail or MSN account you may be able to get 25 gigs as well (see the recommendations section below)
[5] It may be possible to get more if you're buying music off of Amazon (see here)
[6] Not 100% sure about this.

Phil
In practice, whats your idea for recording tracks with this device ?
Would you have it sitting in a tank bag, charging off the bikes battery ?
How well does the gps work given it has no simcard ?
Would you be recording tracks on a google offline map tile ?

Bill - I'll play with this to test its usability, the main problem is that its not set up to run Garmin maps, so the Garmin Montana will still be primary.

Phil
In practice, whats your idea for recording tracks with this device ?
Would you have it sitting in a tank bag, charging off the bikes battery ?
How well does the gps work given it has no simcard ?
Would you be recording tracks on a google offline map tile ?

Phil
Agree the Garmin needs to be the primary. I doubt these phone/tab devices would last long mounted on a dirtbike handlebar.

I have the Samsung S2 phone which I believe would run all the same nav apps as the N7.

Just been experimenting with Google offline maps.
Downloaded a 25MB tile of my province and saved it for offline use.
Turned off wifi and put in flight mode to simulate no data connection.
It has a pointer that gives ones location on the offline map and another pointer that indicates North. Thats it in offline mode.
I compared it side by side with my 60csx and the Nth pointer is reasonably accurate as you rotate the device.

There's loads of Nav apps out there, some free.
I tried Backpacker Trails Lite (free) which can be upgraded to Pro
Lite version can record a track with a data connection. For offline use you need Pro so you can download their map for offline use.

Anyway, for now I can see google offline maps being useful in combination with the Garmin. Main feature over a paper map is it shows your exact location on the map in offline mode. Advantage over, (or to compliment) the 60csx is the bigger screen and nice one finger interface for drag/scrolling around the map.

Offline maps expire after 30days apparently.

Bill - I'll play with this to test its usability, the main problem is that its not set up to run Garmin maps, so the Garmin Montana will still be primary.

Someones made a free app that allows tracks from certain Garmin devices to be uploaded to certain Android devices via a usb host adaptor.
A work in progress by the looks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jYXJsb3Blc2Npby51cGxvYWRlciJd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toI1_7mJNHA

http://www.sportablet.com/help.html

Back
Top Bottom