Go See the World; 2013 R1200GS

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/The-New-2013-BMW-R1200GS

(from 'Motorcycle Thailand' today)

[h=2]"The development goals of the new BMW R 1200 GS:[/h]
  • Further increase performance overall - without neglecting its well-established virtues.
  • Perfect its touring suitability.
  • Increase off-road suitability.
  • Achieve superior figures within the travel enduro segment and beyond in terms of engine and riding performance.
  • Ensure preparation for the future in terms of noise and exhaust emissions.
  • Suspension with top handling, optimum traction and increased off-road performance.
  • Increase active and passive safety.
  • Unmistakable BMW Motorrad design in typical GS style.
  • Top quality as is characteristic of BMW Motorrad"

Does that mean they are going to drop 40 - 50 kg of fat off it?

It's only 238kg BigFella; you could carry that across those streams! :roll:

Not on your Nellie.... The 950 Super Enduro is 185kg stock... and it loses plenty with titanium cans and some spare plumbing removal. Its still too heavy. The HP2 Enduro should be BMW's starting point for the ideals listed above. I was impressed with the BMW "M" Division's approach when I went from a V8 Mercedes coupe to an M5... Mercedes would use a 13mm steel nut to do the same non-load bearing job that BMW would use a plastic 10mm nut for..... and it showed on the road. Its a pity they don't offer the same sort of "pure riding pleasure".

Well, had a new BMW1200GS water-cooled for a testing weekend from the official BMW distributer / importer in Shanghai.
Nice bike with a lot of new developments but would not trade in my Ducati MTS1200S.
Comparing bikes, the MTS rides like a revved up super-moto on steroids. It has some ADV / dirt bike feel but super-bike performance in the twisties and feel more comfortable on a lighter powerful bike like the MTS compared to the big heavy beemer.

Next test rides will be on the new BMW F800GS ADV and the BMW F700GS (don't like the cast heels) once they are in the country.
Loved my old F800GS "Bumble Bee" and the new model can only be better but time will tell......

Yempaul from Singapore came through on his last week on his way to Kazakhstan, he didn't seem super impressed with it and said "i'll have to try and get used to it".

"...get used to it.."
Spot on, while drifting along the gravel tracks forgot the "tits" sticking out on the BMW GS1200 and really needed a bit of getting used to the boxer engined bike as well... thanks god for Dainese shin protection....As I am tall the standard windscreen would be to short for my liking as the air stream goes straight onto the front of the helmet, tried several different positions and adjustments, did not work for me.Side-note: the clear map cover on the BMW tank bag reflects the sun like a polished mirror, very annoying but easily resolved by tossing the bag into the back of the shed.

260kg "road ready".... yeah, then load it up with the kitchen sink. Does it come with a tripod and winch to lift it back on its feet when it falls over?

Not bad for 260KG.

[video=youtube_share;tjnTNOlKy-M]http://youtu.be/tjnTNOlKy-M[/video]

TB - Would you buy one?

Well, had a new BMW1200GS water-cooled for a testing weekend from the official BMW distributer / importer in Shanghai.
Nice bike with a lot of new developments but would not trade in my Ducati MTS1200S.
Comparing bikes, the MTS rides like a revved up super-moto on steroids. It has some ADV / dirt bike feel but super-bike performance in the twisties and feel more comfortable on a lighter powerful bike like the MTS compared to the big heavy beemer.

Next test rides will be on the new BMW F800GS ADV and the BMW F700GS (don't like the cast heels) once they are in the country.
Loved my old F800GS "Bumble Bee" and the new model can only be better but time will tell......

Back
Top Bottom