Gary Johnson steals the show on at MMRRC Rounds 4 & 5

barrygrussell

Bikes
Kawasaki Z800, Yamaha Mio
IMG_0853_RS30.jpg

Gary Johnson earned himself some holiday money over the Christmas weekend by scoring first and second place finishes in the final two rounds of the MotorCycle Mag Thailand Superbike championship at Bira International Circuit.

Undeterred by being unable to find a modern 1000cc machine to compete on, since arriving in Thailand after the Macau Grand Prix, the Lincolnshire born TT winner borrowed and prepared a friend’s 2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 and qualified third behind fierce championship rivals, ‘Tingnote’ Titipong Warakorn of Panadda Racing and Elf Smart Honda’s‘Stamp’ Apiwat Wongthananon, both on CBR1000RRs.

With former GP ace and broadcaster Keith Huewen among the VIP spectators, Johnson slotted into second place behind Tingnote at the start of the first race and used superior corner speed and experience to overcome his power deficit and take the lead on the lap three. Tingnote was unable to match his pace and fell back before retiring with a broken gearbox with two laps remaining. Stamp finished second to move into the lead in the championship ahead of Canadian rookie sensation, Colin Butler, who finished third on the road and took the rookie class victory. Butler was 1.5 seconds in front of multiple Thai champion and Stamp’s team manager, ‘Superbird’ Saen Choisak, ‘The Bell’ Aekkachai Siengwong and Englishman Luke Stokes, a close rival of Butler, who finished second in the rookie class, despite suffering badly with an arm injury.

The second race on Christmas Day saw Tingnote relegated to the back of the grid after changing his bike after the previous day's DNF. However, his luck turned and he slipped into the lead at the second corner when Stamp, having got the hole-shot, braked early, causing Johnson to run off and rejoin in last place. In the ensuing confusion,Tingnote got through into the lead and immediately pulled a gap on the chasing pack. The crowd were subsequently treated to a determined display by Johnson, who carved his way through the 17 man field to take second place, 11 seconds behind an imperious Tingnote and 2.5 seconds ahead of Superbird, who benefitted from his own team orders, which obliged Stamp, who already had sufficient points to take the championship, to let his boss through to take third place on the last lap. Butler, who, like Stokes had been promoted to the professional class on the basis of the previous day’s lap times, took fifth place just behind the Elf Smart Honda duo,while Stokes was seventh and clearly in pain with his arm problem.

Reflecting on his Christmas outings, Johnson said, “It’s been a fun weekend, though the bike was a long way off where I needed it to be and I had to work hard to get the results, especially in the second race. I changed the gearing to make it easier to ride on Sunday, but running off at turn two left me a lot to do. I want to congratulate Tingnote for his win, Stamp on taking the championship and also to thank the organisers, GPI and everyone here for making me so welcome. Finally, I want to thank Narve Hoel for trusting me with his bike, Pirelli for the tyres and Graham Knight and Herbert Hoffmann for their hard work and support since I got to Thailand after the Macau Grand Prix. I’ll be heading back to England on 4th January to get everything finalised for next season and look forward to getting back into it after a good, long break.”

Johnson’s Honda UK contract for 2012 takes effect on 1st January and will see him contesting the HM Plant 1000 Superstock machine in the Metzeler series and on the roads as well as riding for Honda Legends in international endurance races. His superbike and supersport rides in the international road events are not yet confirmed. Johnson will return to South East Asia in February to test at Sepang.

The full 'SIDE-TRACKED' album from the weekend is on my Facebook.

Attachments

• IMG_0899_RS25.jpg
    IMG_0899_RS25.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 581
Great report Barry, I wished it wasn't over the holidays, would have loved to come down- Thanks so much, Phil.

Cheers Phil. It was a huge amount of fun and a great way for a biker to spend Christmas! Got another story or two to come from there ...

Nice write up Barry, Ive only just seen this today!
Well done to Gary, who not only is an extremely fast bastard on a motorbike but is also a down to earth, good " one of the lads" bloke, was great to spend time at the track with him and listen to his advice.
Also well done to Colin, who set blistering times all weekend and who I couldn't catch on the day, well done for the win and getting into the 1m04s! awesome stuff mate, roll on next years championship...........

That was a good result from Gary Johnson, especially considering he was riding an older 750. Didn't he do something like that last year, riding an older bike with a pair of loose handlebars? I hope he comes back again next year and I hope someone provides him with a 1000cc bike with the same spec as the top runners. It would be interesting to see what lap times he could post.

Yes. he rode an Graham Knight's 04 ZX-10 last year with a loose handlebar and won.

A number of teams said they would give him a decent bike during the season, but they all had excuses ready when it came down to it. I am sure he can do 1.02s or even 01s on the right machinery.

barrygrussell said:
Yes. he rode an Graham Knight's 04 ZX-10 last year with a loose handlebar and won.

A number of teams said they would give him a decent bike during the season, but they all had excuses ready when it came down to it. I am sure he can do 1.02s or even 01s on the right machinery.

Barry - What's the current record? 1'.02"?

There are plenty of reports of Tingnote doing 1:02s at Bira, but, to my knowledge, his race pace has been in the 1:03s and 1:04s, so, on the basis that lap records can only be set during races, my guess is that the lap record is in the mid 1:03s.

I will try to find out from GPI what the official record is. It proved impossible to get that information about Thailand Circuit, so don't hold your breath!

Yes TingNote ran a 1m.03.109 in the race on 25th december. As Barry pointed out, there are reports of him running in the 1m02s, this is very possible, he even has a Pirelli SC0 spec tyre available to him for qualifying, which is basically a 5 lap and chuck away tyre so I can easily see him running 1m02s.
I hear that Decha Kraisart( Thai Asian Supersport Rider and Champion) has run in the 1m01s on his Petronas Yamaha R6, although I cant find any official times.
One wonders what Gary J could run given some fully prepped 1000cc weapon, One shudders to think!!

Stokes70 said:
Yes TingNote ran a 1m.03.109 in the race on 25th december. As Barry pointed out, there are reports of him running in the 1m02s, this is very possible, he even has a Pirelli SC0 spec tyre available to him for qualifying, which is basically a 5 lap and chuck away tyre so I can easily see him running 1m02s.
I hear that Decha Kraisart( Thai Asian Supersport Rider and Champion) has run in the 1m01s on his Petronas Yamaha R6, although I cant find any official times.
One wonders what Gary J could run given some fully prepped 1000cc weapon, One shudders to think!!
Tingnote ran a 1:02.98 in qualifying on Dec 24th

Interesting. There's definitely a cost-based argument for banning qualifying tyres.

Would love to see Decha in action at Bira - it's tragic he never got pushed up into world supersport at the very least. World class rider and a top bloke.

Back
Top Bottom