Garmin Zumo 390

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Latest Motorcycle aimed GPS unit, product review and prices.

GPS Society | GARMIN -Authorized Distributor

https://store.gpssociety.com/en/zūmo-390

0000361_zumo-390_300.jpeg

I think Keld has one, I'll find out what he thinks of it. We tried to load some routes on it when he first got it and the computer wouldn't recognize it via USB connection.

No, I have the Zumo 350.
No idea why it didn't work in your computer, it does in mine.

A friend has a 350 and is not happy with it. The hardware is fine with a good screen and fast processor but the software is buggy. It shuts down and hangs several times a day. Unless Garmin fix the software, stay away from it.

I've got the 350 with the latest software update- it's never given me any trouble.

A friend has a 350 and is not happy with it. The hardware is fine with a good screen and fast processor but the software is buggy. It shuts down and hangs several times a day. Unless Garmin fix the software, stay away from it.
Funny, that's what my friends Montana did all the time on our 5 day Nan ride.
Mine didn't have a problem at all.

Pretty sure all electronics can go down, no matter the model.
I got the Zumo 350 because I used to have a Zumo 550 and I believe the 350 was top model when I bought it.
Designed to be used specifically for bike riding, I don't have any complaints except Garmin software could be better, (Remember when the Garmin software interface was the best most intuitive of all makers, back in early-mid-90's ?) but it does everything I could ask for and if I'm not mistaken, the Zumos have more shockproofed internals than the non bike specific models as well. I remember reading something along that, when I got my 550 from Touratech in 2008.

For sure, all electronics have glitches to some extent. I have the Zumo 660, it also shuts down/hangs sometimes but not too often. The 660 feels a bit old in comparison to the 350 which draws the map faster, has a better screen, reads any map name (you can rename gmapsupp.img to thaimap.img for example so you can store more maps) and has a more handy format. If Garmin could fix the shut downs it would be a good bike GPS.

Can you see all POIs on the map if you zoom in to maximum?

Did he update it? When I plugged it into Basecamp a few weeks ago, there was an update which it installed, don't know if it was a recent or older though.
Locale?
Can't find any feature in the menu that mentions "locale"
If you mean: settings/map and vehicle/map theme/ I selected Denmark (I'm Danish)
Map detail: More
Map layers: ticked "Places along the road"

Try that

Should add that I have the preinstalled Thailand map.
Bought the unit in Eagle GPS here in Chiang Mai.
Map is called:
CN Thailand
2013.20 [Eng] ALL

You select "locale" after a factory reset. It is usually not possible to change this in the normal menus.

He uses German map theme, shall test with Danish and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

I haven't had to factory reset mine yet, hope it never happens.

Anyway, Im still learning about my GPS, something I noticed tonight was that when static for a long while, the icons dissapear, but once you start moving again, they pop back up on the map. At least they did for me.
Here are the pics:
First is regular zoom on 3D mode:
regular zoom on 3d.jpg

Second is max zoom on 3D:
max zoom on 3d.jpg

I know garmin moved from ESRI to the SEA versions a year or so back as the official map for units sold here.

While I have no confirm I have a feeling they were pissed at ERSI for locking out all non Thai units from accessing junction view and 3D buildings, the UK garmin told me in an email they were unhappy with how it made garmins sold non universal (and I agree)..

Dusting off an old thread......

I have one of these units....works fine most times,but quite often the voice disappears...like I'm getting the silent treatment.
Now I admit I did yell at the GPS unit quite loudly the other day,when I was sitting at the Coffee Club at Tha Pae gate asked the GPS to direct me to the Piston Shop.
1.4 kilometres?
Easy walk....you'd think.
So I set off walking.....and walking.....checked the GPS..arrive in 4 minutes...
20 minutes later.....arrive in 4 minutes.

So.....by the time I got to Airport Central and still no Piston shop enough was enough.....swore quite ferociously at the unit,hopped in a songtaew to drown my sorrows at the Kafe.

The Zumo 390 and I haven't been on speaking terms since.

Now...anyone have co-ordinates for the Piston Shop hmm??
Not in decimal please.....don't know how to change the setup for that yet.

If you were looking near Airport Central it looks like you were looking for Sa Moto (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/vendors/397-mechanics-asia.html) but the Piston Shop - Asadathorn Rod 49/3 is on the road which runs from the north-eastern corner of the moat to the "Super Highway" (Rd. 11). I have it at (dd.dddddd) N18.80179 E98.99527 or at (dd mm.mmmmm) N18 48.108 E98 59.716 or at (dd mm ss.s) N18 48 06.5 E98 59 43.0

In the Zumo 390 look in "Where To" -> Categories -> Coordinates and then you can set the coordinate format (guess at bottom right or left press the icon with the horizontal stripes). There should be an easier way probably in "Set Up" and it should be somewhere there but Garmin is not making life easier with all their new GPS'es.

Thanks again Auke....added the address you gave me....let the Zumo calculate the route.......4 minutes to get there apparently...now where have I heard that before?

I originally searched for "Piston Shop" on the GPS......but I think by walking it somehow confused the unit......anyway.....that's a bloody long walk from Thapae gate to Airport Central!

If you were looking near Airport Central it looks like you were looking for Sa Moto (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/vendors/397-mechanics-asia.html) but the Piston Shop - Asadathorn Rod 49/3 is on the road which runs from the north-eastern corner of the moat to the "Super Highway" (Rd. 11). I have it at (dd.dddddd) N18.80179 E98.99527 or at (dd mm.mmmmm) N18 48.108 E98 59.716 or at (dd mm ss.s) N18 48 06.5 E98 59 43.0

In the Zumo 390 look in "Where To" -> Categories -> Coordinates and then you can set the coordinate format (guess at bottom right or left press the icon with the horizontal stripes). There should be an easier way probably in "Set Up" and it should be somewhere there but Garmin is not making life easier with all their new GPS'es.

Eagle is offering the Zumo 390 at only 500 Baht above the Zumo 350 price. Both include all mounting hardware and power cable.
Any 390 experiences to share? Anyone have a decent China map for the Garmin? :RE

The Zumo 390 is 24,500 THB, no idea about the 590.
There is no Montana (nor is the 590) listed on the Eagle website, so no idea about the prices.

Anyone have a decent China map for the Garmin? :RE

Garmin NT China (micro SD-card) City Navigator® China NT - English works great without dramas, the problem many face is the build in offset with Europe bought Garmin units (Garmin EU Units).
The EU Garmin units have an offset between 500-900m, know quite a few Garmin GPS unit owners that have the problem and forget asking Garmin China to assist with anything concerning "grey import" GPS units, they firstly don't know and secondly refuse assistance and help.

Brought in 15+ Garmin GPS units (Zumo 220 / Montana 600) over the last two years from USA / AUS for mates and they work spot on, don't want to get into arguments and discussions but currently operate various Garmin GPS (Z220AUS / M600USA / M600AUS) myself and they do work spot on without any cracked software or modifications. The Garmin GPS units on offer in China through the official Garmin dealer network (Unistrong is the approved + licensed importer and distributor) run a different software and maps... be warned!!!!

Garmin NT China (micro SD-Card as download map version is blocked most of the time)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/map...ity-navigator-china-nt-english/prod30217.html

At GPScity the cheapest Montana is the 600 which is about US$ 400, the Garmin Zumo 390LM is US$ 600 and the 590 is US$ 900.
So the price at Eagle for the 390 is about 750 US$, in Holland the price (including 21% VAT) for the 390 is US$ 460 and the 590 is US$ 727?!

I bought the Zumo 350 2 years ago and i hate it , nearly throw it away on the first Trip .

Take a close look , the map is not movable , it allways center around the needle .makes planing a route on the Zumo a nightmare.
if you routing , smaller Roads and anything else left and right the Route is removed from the screen .
That way you can pass 10 Gasstations 500 m away from your route and will not see it on the GPS

If you know what to look for you must deep zoom in befor the buttons for the selection what you are searching appear on the screen .
And then you can choose Hotel as example and the shit thing tell you no Hotel around depend you are more then 2 km away from the next hotel
and the Software look only for Hotels on the part of the Map thats shown on the screen .

bought a Montana , much much better and put the Zumo back in the Box after 1 trip .

If the newer Zumo work the same way , forget them .

Let me think about, the next two weeks i am not at Home .
need to go early tomorrow morning to the Airport and not finish packing.
i contact you when i am back in about 2 weeks

I'm sitting on my sofa playing with my Zumo 350, and the map is definitely movable- all you need to do is touch a point, and the map scrolls to it and centers on it- when the'back' button is pushed, it scrolls back to the motorcyle (current position) icon. When I hit the 'lodging' button, it gave the names and location of the nearest 50 hotels (the furthest being 3.9km).

The screen is certainly small, but I wanted a compact unit for my bike.

Thanks Klaus, I will be back home in Chiang Rai after the 9th of February.

You move the Screen once or try to follow a Road over lets say 100 km to see where it connects or whats along the Road ?
The screen centers always around the needle and the needle apers where you touch the screen , right ?
Now try to set the needle to a point just on the edge or outside the screen .

Dit you try your Hotel test in Routing mode ? and you write furtest in 3.9 km . Try it with the closest in 3.9 km

I can see where it connects, but it doesn't give the detail (i.e. gas stations) that far out, though it gives me the names of the roads I've high-lighted. Touching the needle on the edge of the screen scrolls to the point I touched- if I set the needle to a point outside the current screen, it centers on it as well- setting the needless any point is no problem.

If I take a ride to the boonies I'll see how it works when the nearest hotel is over 3.9km away, but I can't accommodate you at the moment, so you may be right about it not showing what you need, but I'll test it when I can.;)

You obviously have requirements of a GPS that go beyond mine (I would imagine you're more of a hard-core off-road rider), but for basic navigation I think the 350 is great- I can't argue that there are other units that offer more features, but for a motorcycle-specific compact device (that's water-proof, shock-resistant, and works with gloves) I think it's hard to beat.

Not so much Hard core Offroader but after the GPS3 Plus i use for years the Garmin Oregon.

And that GPS show in Routing mode like the Montana the complete Map inc. all the Waypoints just with the highlighted Route insteed
a blue line with just a few waypoints direct on the Route .

Thats what i am used to and i like that .
And i like to see whats left and right of the Route while i drive by and choose to stop or visit that Point if i like .

And for that reason i like to scroll through the Map and plan the Route on the way via small and smallest roads to
connect the Point i like to see .
A GPS that can lead me only from Ato B has no use for me

Klaus and I have reached an agreement, I have a new toy.
Thanks Klaus.

Back
Top Bottom