Garmin Monterra USD$ 460 GPScity.com

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With the price of the Garmin Montana's creeping back up, an interesting alternative is the newer Garmin Monterra, which you can buy from GPScity.com refurbished, with gaurantee for USD$ 460

monterra by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

If you already have a Montana, the Monterra fits the same mount and charging, so nice and easy. What makes the Monterra more interesting than the Montana, is that it runs Android and has wifi/ internet capability. Seeing as more and more remote places in SE Asia now have phone signal, by using your smartphone as a data hotspot, you can run Google Maps on the Monterra. In fact all mapping apps which need cloud for their data will run. You can even have Whats App / Line / Facebook etc... all streaming on the waterproof GPS while you have data signal hotspot streaming from your smartphone. It will even make Skype phone calls.

Worth a thought next time your Garmin Montana screen stops working

Monterra_cf_sm.jpg

I bought a Montana 650 a few months ago so I can have my Montana 600 as backup when the 'screen stops working'. I looked at the Monterra at the time but found the customer reviews on Amazon (both the UK and US sites) to be way too varied to inspire me with confidence about the newer model. I'd advise anyone to take a look at these before making a purchase.

When parking in the sun, put your gloves on top of the GPS. And use it in screen saving mode. That will make any GPS screen last longer.

Got the Garmin Monterra and had a play and like it a lot.

Did a set up of some Android apps and have a pretty cool map set up. Most places in Thailand you have a data connection on your phone now, so using your phone as a hotspot for wifi for the monterra, if you look at the bottom of the screen, I have Google Maps, Garmin Maps & OSM Maps all readily available on the Monterra in a waterproof/ dustproof/ sun resistant device.

monterra apps by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

A nice touch is the quality flashlight app, nice having the flashlight available on the GPS immediatly. Skype & Viber can make calls with a headset (can pair blootooth with Sena/ Scala etc...), need hotspot wifi from the phone.

Screen shot is easy to save something, power & volume down same time.

Looks like this will be a very useful device.

There is an excellent review in the link below:

http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article06_gps/article06_monterra.shtml

How you getting on with this GPS unit Phil? looking at getting a new one and wondering whether to get this or another montana.

Back
Top Bottom