From Singapore to Thailand

pib

This the slightly amended Google translation of my blog (written in french): http://www.pib-voyages.blogspot.com
Not too bad translation however!

Malaysia is not really interesting... no much pics.

Pics remains original - Really few on this post, but they are all coming in next ones...

I am leaving from Singapore, riding north.
The departure is tolled for 16.00, too late! 71951km on the clock.
My bike is very heavy, I'm not used to and not very comfortable in my clothes ...
Bye bye fellas, it's gone! Direction to Bukit Fraser if I can.
Arrival at the Malaysian border, no immigration form ...

Carte1.JPG

SELAMAT DATANG MALAYSIA
I ride between 120 and 140km / h on the highway northwest of Johor Bahru, nobody.
While I normally double the quickest route, a Malaysian decides to pass me on the right between me and the security rail at 130km / h!! I scream and honk, it slows down as if wondering what was wrong. :bash Immediately calmed! Direction Kuala Lumpur. As night falls, traffic increases and the conduct of Malay comes into its own! GPS crashes, it goes off every 10min. Hassle to go through KL.
Au nord de KL, c'est la fin de l'autoroute pour trouver une route assez sombre et je roule plein phare. North of KL, it's the end of the highway to find a route quite dark and I ride high beam. The road then plunges into the forest. Bukit Fraser is 50km away and it is 20.00. Small technical stop, check the bike, long range headlights on, I'm off.

Complete night, I ride on a 2x2voies excellent, nobody. A huge snake (4m?) sneaks emergency stop lane. The temperature cools and the road becomes a county in the Lower Alps in the humid jungle. Person! Not a single car ... My speed will be reduced greatly and I still do 30-40km. I pass two cars that must be wondering what am I doing here. Branches on the road, sharp turns: the ideal route in dry weather and during daylight. It is just night and wet.

Finally a few houses and the road becomes one way! 9km on! Even less chance of meeting someone and it does not please me at all because it is 21.00. For a first day, it's still a little sport. While the objective of taking the bike in hand is quite a success, making this route at this time is bullshit.

Climbing seriously and it is very cool in a dark night complete. In turn, the rear wheel moves a little. The road is covered with a thin film of algae. Awesome ... I'll go from 20km / h to 10km / h. I can not even turn around with my aircraft carrier. The GPS shows that I still advance in the right direction: phew ... but shut up and advance!
Arrived in town, the GPS takes me directly to the hotel: Silver Park Resort. Building complex, the reception closes at 23h, it is 22:30. The guys are a little puzzled: a European guy, so late, so far, on this bike! Nothing to dinner, it is closed: it will be a Coca-Cola.
2 bedroom apartment, ramshackle quality. I take a shower and jump in my jacket because it's seriously cool (15deg?). I look at a few cards for the next day after reorganizing my luggage a little.
Tomorrow I have two options: either return to my feet by the same road and going to the north west of Malaysia or I cross and rises from the east. Good road, rode well, I'm beat, I'll see it tomorrow.

My first driving lessons:
-Motorcycles are not paying the highway;
-Motorbikes can (should?) Ride on the hard shoulder;
-Take-up of a real car;
-Not to drive at night, because you can see like the a*s of a mole;
-My gas mileage just went to the 275km/23L 210km/12.4l or 8.4l/100km to 5.8l/100km. Version 4.0 is accomplished!
-I'm too heavy, a bag disappear after Hua Hin;

I stayed overnight in bukit fraser while riding north to Thailand.
Unfortunately, I went up there by night time and I would not advise to do so...
1. it is a great road
2. it is completely dark and remote

Day2...

Carte2.JPG

He mist but the fog begins to dissipate. I am in Malaysia!
Drizzle, mountain road, wet, downhill, I feel it's gonna be great! Finally the road is rather old with big stones, not even a skid!
Finally, I found my way last night, the two-way. I will still need 1:30 to 40-50km in the humid jungle mountain, but it's much nicer day.
No gas station in Bukit Fraser, I must find one in the valley. A chat with a Malaysian to the gas station. Tonight, it will be AlOH Setar.
IMG_6820.JPGIMG_6819.JPG
I continue to Ipoh, highway: high in the mountains, few people (it changes the outskirts of KL).
Agoda Miramar Hotel. . There is parking behind the hotel, but the receptionist told me that the bike will sleep outside the door, watched by the guard. Nothing to attach it ... I am delighted at the idea of thinking that a night watchman, Malay, monitors my bike not tied to a pole: he will sell it at night! Once discharged, I put every possible securities.

Internet, maps and tour of this charming little town. Opinions and impressions confirmed: it is crap.

Well, if you wanna see Malaysia, you have stuck to the trunk roads, instead of the North South Highway. U see nothing on this highway..its such a boring road. You shud have started via Mersing, to Kuantan, then towards Trengganu, Kelantan, down the East West Highway, towards Kupang kedah via Gerik. Then take the state road from Baling to Sik, Jeniang and Kuala Nerang, hitting the Thai border at Durian Burung. U enter Thailand and hit Na Thawi, then to Hatyai...and on you go.....

Picking the correct route will make sure you spent at least a week in Malaysia....

By the way, on the North South Highway, all slow moving vehicles and motorcycles are suppossed to take the left lane, the most left lane is an emergency lane, but allowed for motorcycles....

The areas I would recommend you visit would be....
Kuala Rompin, Bukit Besi, Kuala Gandah...Kuala Trengganu, Besut, take the coastal road...u will enjoy it....Kota Baru, (these are mostly on the East Coast.
Central would be Fraser Hill, Kampung Janda Baik, Camerons Highlands,
West Coast would be the Old Trunk Road from JB, via Pontian, Muar, Batu Pahat, then Malacca, Kuala Selangor, Teluk Anson, Lumut, and make it North till Penang....

Looks like it's going to be a fantastic trip pib, wishing you all the best for the adventure, look forward to following it :DD

Back
Top Bottom