Four Thai-Myanmar border crossings to be opened in August

buksida

Bikes
CB500F
Myanmar and Thai citizens, as well as foreign tourists, will be allowed to pass through four Thai-Myanmar border checkpoints, including Myawady, starting from August 28, an official said.

"We have received instructions to allow Thai citizens and foreign tourists to pass through all four border checkpoints on August 28. The remarkable thing is that Myanmar citizens with visas and passports will also be allowed to visit [Thailand] through the border crossings," said an official from the Immigration and National Registration Department of Myawady District.

The four checkpoints include Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot, Kawthaung-Ranong and Htee Khee-Sunaron. Fine will be imposed if their visa expired.

Foreign visitors using the border crossings can depart from Myanmar through any official gateways including Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw, and Mandalay.

The government has amended its list of restricted areas after an improvement in rules of law and stability in the country.

Source: Myanmar Forum :: Burma Board; forums, message boards, discussion, news, travel and information for Myanmar/Burma.

Could make for some interesting road trips!

Does this mean free ? I can walk across now but it costs 500B which makes bringing back booze a bit pricey. Oh MaeSai this is.

I would imagine the 500 Baht fee will still apply at all Myanmar border crossings

You have still to get a visa at BKK, unless you plan to stay within for example Tachilek district, as stated before overland travel is still unlikely because of security issues

You have still to get a visa at BKK, unless you plan to stay within for example Tachilek district, as stated before overland travel is still unlikely because of security issues

Well, well, well, the officaial Myanmar Government Visa website has this:
(looks like pre-approval for a Myanmar visa to be activated at a Myanmar international border crossing)
https://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/index.aspx

In order to provide each entry to the country and to pormote investment in Myanmar, e-visa or Electronic Visa Application will be up and running pretty soon. With e-visa application, there is no need to visit the Myanmar Embassy to apply for the Visa. No submission of documents is required during the application process because the Evisa process from application to approval is completely done online. The process is very straight forward; the applicants just need to fill out the details and submit the payment through a secure payment gateway with a credit card.
After the visa application is approved, the applicant will proceed to collect the physical visa stamp at the ICA office. With the introduction of e-visa, foreign nationals who wish to travel to Myanmar no longer have to spend extra time and money for the visa application process. All the applicant has to do is to get online and submit the visa application in a few simple steps.
After successful submission of the application, the applicant will get an acknowledgement letter stating that the visa application process is successful along with application reference number which can be used to check the applied visa status online. Visitors no longer need to make a trip to the ICA Building physically and submit the application form. Within 3 days, visa a approval letter will be sent to the applicant through email. The visitor needs to print out the letter and bring along with a passport to a designated airport. By using electronic visa application, visa application process is a lot easier. Extra time and money could be saved through this process and there is no more hassle with the documents. Visa status enquiry function allows the applicant check the status of the visa application process in real time.

myanmar ev 1.jpg

myanmar ev 2.jpg

Looks like a positive move if the website ever gets fully up and running, although the section on "limited regions" implies you still need guides or tour group organisation

Need to be carefull the 'evisa' sites are genuine. I have just read a warning on the UK embassy site not to use them as they are unofficial and cannot be verified. Could be the right hand unaware of what the left is doing but..

This was what I thought but someone has been clearly told, in clear well understood english, that he will be able to enter at Tachilek and come out down south at mae sot, with a vehicle and without a guide or the Ministry letter.

That hasnt yet been tested but I am up for giving it a go next month.

If this "is" the case, why does every motorcycle group that has been approved to enter Myanmar had to get an itinerary approved in advance & the whole process has taken 3 months each time?

We're in new, untested waters here, but recent history has shown that the only way to ride in Myanmar "legally" (outside of the pretend free zones), has been to use a Myanmar agent and get your itinerary approved by Myanmar officials and Myanmar permits etc...... If this wasn't needed, why would these intelligent, experienced, LEGAL bike tour operators waste USD$ 10,000 each time and 3 months of document processing?????

Red = restricted no-go regions (guess what? Tachileik to Mae Sot is all red colour)

19603d1375428143t-3-thai-myanmar-border-crossings-open-august-resmap.jpg

This was what I thought but someone has been clearly told, in clear well understood english, that he will be able to enter at Tachilek and come out down south at mae sot, with a vehicle and without a guide or the Ministry letter.

That hasnt yet been tested but I am up for giving it a go next month.

Last edited:
I agree.. I said exactly the same thing.. But the guy is a well known rider up here and thats what he was told, clearly and without language issues according to him.

As yet its untested.. Until it is, its doubtful, but just passing on the info as an immigration officer gave to him.

Things are changing fast, things are fluid, I am sure theres lots of room for confusion.. But also if the immi guy at the border says yes.. Then its worth a shot.

This is a response from a very experienced, legal tour operator friend, who has a legal tour authorized in Myanmar commencing in a couple of months:

"My sources, high in the mighty MM gov't say no at this time to self guided riding. The ride out of the border north of you is on very restricted roads 80 km in. I can do permits, no problem. They take 2 - 3 weeks and are a slam dunk.."

Maybe one of you guys should call these people as I am sure they will be able to tell you what is possible - from a guy who was there some 3 weeks ago and was told to leave his passport at the border:

Posted in Myanmar Information Section on the Ride Asia Forum:

Tourism Office Tachilek - Mrs. Daw Aye Aye Mar
(ask Freddy for her phone number)

Freddy who is a guide in Kengtung 09-49031934 yotkham@gmail.com

Sai Leng who is also a guide in Kengtung (listed in Lonely Planet) 09-490-31470 sairoctor.htunleng@gmail.com

You can rent small bikes in Mandalay however and tour as you please within the non restricted areas.

Exciting times.
However we/others ride into/within Burma I just hope we all do it according to the regulations because I feel sure we will be watched quite closely. Would be a great shame if anyone upset the authorities sufficiently to jeapordise the Burma riding experience for everyone else.

Personally, I like 'madjbs's idea.

Yesterday ( 25th) the crossing into Myanmar at Mae Sai was very busy. There was a queue of traffic waiting to cross over and it was moving very slowly . Not very nice if sitting on a bike but no bikes in sight. More traffic waiting than I have ever seen before. Oh , Top North hotel , just on the left before the border. Scrambled egg .ham , toast and jam ,coffee 100B.
I ate there while Pim paid 40B and went over on foot and came back with a bottle of Southern Comfort 380B.

Phil, we just got approval from Myanmar government for 2 more trips, 1 each in January and February 2014. January sold out to 12 Triumph guys from Malaysia and in February we have mixed Singapore and Malaysia guys and gals. The response is unbelievable, lots of folks wants to go. Price significantly less compared to last year: from $1580 down to $1055 per pax. Exactly same itinerary and hotels as last year. Even government minder and official guide are same fellas.

As far as restricted areas are concerned it don't matter because if you are with govt approved tour you can still go thru the checkpoints unless major riot breaks out. We went thru Meiktila (major flashpoint between Muslims and Buddhists) and even stopped there for a drink....seen nothing, heard nothing.

Interesting thing: despite certain areas being marked as "extremely dangerous", our hosts let us overtake their van anyway...they said all checkpoints ahead knew of our arrival and nobody going to stop us. Very true...Police and Army would notice us arriving from hundreds of meters away and lift the ramps, no questions asked.

Until further notice, just forget about touring Myanmar on your own. It is not possible without guides, no matter what someone says. Yes, you may enter the country at certain points, even with your bike like Singapore gang did at Tachilek. But they were restricted to radius of only 5km and had to leave their passports with Myanmar Immigration.

If this "is" the case, why does every motorcycle group that has been approved to enter Myanmar had to get an itinerary approved in advance & the whole process has taken 3 months each time?

We're in new, untested waters here, but recent history has shown that the only way to ride in Myanmar "legally" (outside of the pretend free zones), has been to use a Myanmar agent and get your itinerary approved by Myanmar officials and Myanmar permits etc...... If this wasn't needed, why would these intelligent, experienced, LEGAL bike tour operators waste USD$ 10,000 each time and 3 months of document processing?????

Red = restricted no-go regions (guess what? Tachileik to Mae Sot is all red colour)

19603d1375428143t-3-thai-myanmar-border-crossings-open-august-resmap.jpg

Goran, the all inclusive pricing looks very attractive, i'm sure they'll be numerous riders interested including myself (ill email you). We knew the "you can ride right in" was fairy tails.

I'll be in touch, thanks for the up-to-date information

The USD$ 1,000 , 7 day, all-inclusive motorcycle tour into Myanmar is now closed to entrants, as far as I know there's approx. 20 motorcycles all signing up with a few days (Som & I have registered to attend), quite an amazing achievement by Goran.

So far we have 18 participants, total of 17 bikes (1 couple among us).

1. Closing date for payment of $555 is October 25th 2013. Those of you who paid basic booking fee of $100 have to come up with balance of $445 by that date.

2. If you want single bed, please let me know. Additional amount of $285 applies.

3. Few more interested parties: Tan Lip Teek's friend, Badruzzaman Ishak, Gibbins Phillip, Mohd Afanddy have to get back to me latest by end of this week.

4. Stand by for instructions regarding documentation. This has to be completed by 25th too.

5. This event will be marked as "Private by Invitation only" from this moment on and invisible to people who aren't on invitation list.

Yup we are full. Just told Burmese about amazing response and they asked me if I would like another tour in March? So, if there are 12 people out there interested going in March, do let me know and I will fix it up for you.

Back
Top Bottom