First Suzuki Thread; and it's Good News!

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
http://www.motorcycle.in.th/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=6347

yQKtoquE5z0914150938.jpg
"Available (in Thailand) from today, the 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (DL650)."
:p

(Motorcycle Thailand)

I saw Bob has a pricelist, if I am correct 350.000 baht.

From the story ....
"directly imported from Japan and will cost on the road 350,000 THB (without insurance)."

Under the Thai-Japanese FTA the import tariff is either 27,3 or 21,82% on motorcycles, the database is not very clear.
Normally the import tariff for motorcycles is 60%, add excise tax, interior tax and VAT, the total tax burden on import motorcycles is 77%!
In case of Japan that might be a lot lower, I guess in total somewhere between 30 and 40%.

Now if we compare that with the local made, only excise, interior and VAT taxed bikes, there is something strange in pricing between the V-Strom and the Versys.......

Slowly prices of big bikes are decreasing, good for us!

Thanks for the figures Marcel; I have always wondered what they were.
Let's see if you (or anyone) can get the exact % for a Japanese import.

Slowly prices of big bikes are decreasing, good for us!

I'll drink to that! :DD

But is it a good bike?

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS: MD Ride Review « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

"When you have a do-it-all bike that just happens to be loads of fun to ride, you have a winner. Suzuki already had that, and the new V-Strom 650 is even better in many respects."(MotorcycleDaily.com)

080913middle1.jpg

I remember Richard V-Strom was saying, in reference to his Big Ride, that the bike was too low.
But Richard's bike was fully loaded for long distance touring.
I notice the latest model has the same 19" front wheel but with claimed increased ground clearance.

But is that the oil filter hanging down there beside the exhaust?
Looks vulnerable.

Incidentally, if 'Motorcycle Thailand' is correct in quoting a 350,000 baht price on that DL650, then compared to the price in Australia it's extremely good value here.

Adventure Bound: Latest Suzuki V-Strom 650 Touches Down In Australia

"Available now for a Recommended Price of $11,290*, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 comes in a choice of three colour schemes, Pearl Glacier White, Pearl Vigor Blue and Metallic Thunder Grey and is backed by Suzuki's comprehensive two-year, unlimited kilometre warranty. For further information, customers should visit participating Suzuki dealers, who can be found via the Dealer Locator onwww.suzuki.com.au.* Recommended Price excludes dealer delivery and government charges."

image.axd.jpeg

Spoke to a guy at Suzuki World this morning and he said they have taken 32 orders for the V-Strom 650 so far!
Delivery November through to December.

For those of us not living near Bgk, where are the local Suzuki shops who could service this bike?

So owning one of these and maintaining Suzuki service requirements and warranty would be a bit of a hassle for those of
us not living near Bgk.

Tick one for the rumoured KLR650.

I inspected the two DLs on show at Promenade Bangkok last week.
A very comfy seat and the ergonomics felt just right.
Three colours (red, white or grey).
They have many orders and said delivery if ordered at the 'show' would occur 'December or January'.

For what it's worth, seen on 'Thai Visa Forum';

"Posted 2013-09-17 14:05:46
I recently went to a Suzuki dealers' meeting. Suzuki Thailand will sell the bikes first and then give existing Suzuki small bike dealers the option of opening a Suzuki big bike showroom.
It may take some time, but eventually there will be Suzuki big bike dealers all over the country.
We are also a Suzuki small bike dearer and are thinking of opening one of the big bike showrooms here in Nonthaburi."

Seen in an Aussie newspaper;

"B-roads are where the Sports Bike Brigade like to play and it isn't hard to embarrass them on a V-Strom 650 through twisty, patched-up sections.
The compliant suspension soaks up ruts and bumps that pitch race bikes off-course and lets the rider hold a line irrespective of the road surface.

Mid-range surge out of the corner is solid and only under full acceleration on the straights will the sports mob reel the V-Strom back in.
The brakes are good for repeated late and hard application and rider comfort means you can repeat the process for hours."

2 wheels, any news with regards to the deliveries of the first orders?

Hi Marcel.
All I know is that those who ordered when the 650 was first shown in Bgk have their bikes now
and that there is talk amongst the Thai biker fraternity of Suzuki Big Bikes coming to Chiang Mai.
Meanwhile, I have been told that Nat at Piston Shop is apparently acting as a local 'dealer' for Suzuki and apparently
will have them delivered to his shop. Not confirmed though.

I reckon others would know more about this than I do.

I will send K. Nat an e-mail to see what the situation is.
I have sold the DR650 and look for a suitable replacement, so the 650 V-Strom sounds like the logical successor.
Still consider a Royal Enfield Classic 500 too.......I just love that bike!

OK.
Would be interested in knowing what K Nat says (if he's unique in Thailand and actually answers emails!)

Yep, surely two very good bikes.

Yes and he is good on the phone too!
The DR650 is a lovely bike, here she is after a short blast to clear my head riding up the 1155.

Suzuki V Strom

P1020810.jpg

This is my 2009 V Strom in Laos recently. Has now done 95,000 kms (mostly in Asia) without issues except this week have had a problem with the starter switch. It is a great and comfortable tourer and larger than the Versys and Honda 500.

Gary

Original seat Gary?

They were 350,000 at launch last year; wonder how much now.

Ron the original seat now has a Made In Thailand accessory as displayed (very comfy on long trips and cool nights) and highly recommended if fitted correctly. I will ask K Nat the current price as I will be seeing him next week.

Original seat Gary?

They were 350,000 at launch last year; wonder how much now.

This morning I called Suzuki Big Bike in Bgk (Phahonyothin Road 02 9395700) and was told that the V-Strom 650 is still available at 350,000 baht.
I was also told that Suzuki Big Bike is coming to Chiang Mai "this year".

Still 350,000 baht from Suzuki Big Shop, Bangkok. (02 9395700)
And there will be a Suzuki Big Bikes/World in Chiang Mai "this year".

Confirmed with Suzuki Bgk that;

1 there's a 'one or two month' wait after leaving a deposit for the 650 V-Strom..

2 the first service is at 1,000 Kms and there is no authorised service centre outside Bgk. (yet)

3 colours are white, red or black.

Vstrom650.jpg

0924b_05.jpg

Centre of gravity is similar and somewhat top heavy when compared to a sport bike but you soon get used to it and the comfortable ride position.

Thanks Gary, is the center of gravity similar to the Versys you think?

Ron you would love it, not as cumbersome as your old Africa Twin but a good riding position for long touring. Sure Suzuki BKK would do a deal with the Piston Shop for servicing up here, afterall Nat already has some Thai biker friends who have bought and the strength of the trouble free riding and maintenance of mine.

Gary

Confirmed with Suzuki Bgk that;

1 there's a 'one or two month' wait after leaving a deposit for the 650 V-Strom..

2 the first service is at 1,000 Kms and there is no authorised service centre outside Bgk. (yet)

3 colours are white, red or black.

View attachment 25836

View attachment 25837

G'day Gary,

Sure Suzuki BKK would do a deal with the Piston Shop for servicing up here, …

That would be good, and sensible, until Chiang Mai gets its own Suzuki Big World (or what-ever).
But it would be good to check Khun Nat's status with Suzuki and to know;

1 if he is an 'agent' for them and can perform servicing that won't invalidate the warranty.

2 how much he is selling the 650 V-Strom for.

And 'yes' I do like it very much.
Sat on one in Bgk when they were released back in September and it felt just right.

Today I had a chat with Khun Nat at Piston Shop re the V-Strom.

1 he is not an agent for Suzuki and has not brought any V-Stroms to Chiang Mai (despite rumours).

2 he has done the 1,000 km service on a few of them but is not an authorised Suzuki service centre.

Therefore it is between the owner and Suzuki should there be any warranty issues.

Back
Top Bottom