Entering Thailand and Laos from Cambodia with 2 bikes with the same owner

Fabiano Nero

Bikes
2000 Africa Twin RD07, 2002 Baja 250
Hello,
Cambodia recently changed regulations: foreigners can no longer re-register locally purchased, already registrated bikes on their name (only new/newly imported ones). I am about to buy a 2017 BMW GS 800 from a German expatriate here and would put it on my wife’s name. However she already has her 250cc bike on her name and when we cross borders we always travel together with 2 bikes. So we would come to the Thai/Lao border with 2 bikes on her name, 1 ridden by me and 1 by her. Do you think we can cross the border like this (assuming we have all other paperwork taken care of as per the last Thai regulations) ? A Thai biker here told us that all my wife needs to do is write a power of attorney that she authorizes me to ride the big bike…. Your advice will allow me to decide about buying the BMW or not: I can not buy a bike with which I can’t travel outside Cambodia...
Many thanks,
FN

Thanks, yes I am familiar with the new regulations since before Cambodia changed its registration rules for expats :-(. So the problem of crossing the border with a bike registered under a Cambodian name is recent. A Thai travel agency dealing with temporary import permits assured me a Power of Attorney by my wife will be enough to cross the border but that does make us subject to any further restriction on the Thai side... It's getting hard to be an expat in Cambodia for other reasons than this too :-(

A Thai travel agency dealing with temporary import permits assured me a Power of Attorney by my wife will be enough to cross the border but that does make us subject to any further restriction on the Thai side. It's getting hard to be an expat in Cambodia for other reasons than this too :-(
You are saying two thing; if a PoA is sufficient, what are the further restrictions on the Thai side you anticipate?

And you say for reasons, other than the red tape on border crossings on a motorbike, it is getting hard to be an expat in Cambodia.
Let me assure you this is not only the case in Cambodia, here in Thailand we see the same pressure.
But on the other hand, I believe most of us still see the benefits far outweigh the negative, be well and be happy, keep riding!!:ride:

Yes, I think also that once you have crossed out of Cambodia with 2 bikes (both in the name of your wife) that you will not have problems in other countries with regard to the ownership of the bikes. What you probably should look at is if Cambodia will make problems if you cross out of Cambodia with these 2 bikes.

The Power of Attorney (PoA) your Thai Travel Agency (Mrs. Thip?) is mentioning is required in Thailand if you want to bring a Thai registered (Thai number plate and green book) bike out of Thailand with the PoA needed to show that the owner allows you to take the bike out of Thailand. With regard to other documents needed in Thailand for Cambodia registered motorbikes I am sure that Mrs. Thip knows all the ins and out of what is required for the bike, driving license, etc.

Back
Top Bottom