DRZ400 rider's input wanted

Nightrider70

Bikes
DRZ400SM
I see on this forum there are a few people with DRZ400 and I wanted to ask for some input.

How many kilometers will the engine last driving around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia?
Where/how do you guys get parts from?
Where/how can I have the engine and suspension rebuilt?
What are, if any, early signs of engine failure?

I stay in Pattaya for the most.

How to tell what year model it is? The ID plate is removed on mine because it is registered as a home made bike. They all seems to be the same except for the colors.

My bike has 36.000 kilometers on it. Runs strong, does not burn any oil but rattels some when warm. I have done nothing to the engine except for oil and filter change. Only problems have been a fork seal (Cambodia mud) and the speedometer cable in addition to one chain+sprokets and two sets of tires.

How many kilometers will the engine last driving around Thailand, Laos and Cambodia?
Unknown at this stage, but 36,000kms is only the first valve adjustment time if the bike has been maintained properly. I am estimating you may need a cam chain around 50,000km the piston rings may do with a freshen around 60-70,000km if the bike is ridden and maintained well. A quick tip:I never personally run/bump start my bikes I feel this puts to much pressure on the cam chain causing stretching
Where/how do you guys get parts from?
Personally Singapore, there are a number of outlets in SGD. If you have somebody who can walk in collect the parts and pay cash in SGD there is a very cheap Suzuki ome dealer. If not there is Chan who will freight to Thailand. At his moment I am in Australiaiand dont have the business cards with me, but I am sure one of the guys here will be able to give them to you.

Where/how can I have the engine and suspension rebuilt?
I would try Tiaga in Pattaya which is Matt Patterson, or Joe's big bikes in Chiang Mai

What are, if any, early signs of engine failure?
Some points can be: Difficulty to start, engine noise, excessive smoke from the exhaust.
It is normal at times for the DRZ to use a little oil, this is not always a indicator of a worn engine

I stay in Pattaya for the most.

How to tell what year model it is? The ID plate is removed on mine because it is registered as a home made bike. They all seems to be the same except for the colors.
From the factory there is a sticker on the right hand side of the subframe under the seat next to the top of the airbox, this will indicate the year i.e. K6 is 2006, K8 is 2008.
Apart from this graphics, I guess there is probably a difference in VIN numbers for different models but I dont know it.

Hope that helped Jim.

Thanks for your time, this helps.

How do I get in contact with Matt Patterson? I am heading out for a longer run in two weeks and it would be great to have the valve lash checked before that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Bike Talk 1
B Bike Talk 3
KTMphil Bike Talk 16
Back
Top Bottom