Driving with a trailer in Thailand

Alven

Bikes
Honda Valkyrie, Honda VFR800F, Honda Valkyrie Tourer
I wonder if it's possible to mount a trailer hitch and drive with a trailer after a (big) bike in Thailand. I enjoy the extra lugage space on trips around, and have in Norway.
Anyone with experience, or tips? Is it legal at all?
There was a guy in Thepprasit road in Pattaya once, but I don't know if he is there anymore. Heard he was moving to another country.

Had a trailer for my yaris before I got the pickup. It works, but was kind of always worried other cars would drive into it (it eventually happened, a retarded speeding pickup tried to overtake me and had to pull in because of upcoming traffic and just drove into the trailer with bike on it).
Also it had no plates as it's expensive to get then registered.
All in all I wouldn't recommend, talking from experience.

No idea about the legality, but I would never put a 2-wheel trailer behind a bike in a 3rd world country. It is a pothole detector. I suspect that there is a good chance of it flipping over.

But in my avatar you can see a home-built 1-wheel trailer made from the chassis of an old farm bike. It followed us all around India and Nepal, then overland to Europe. It's the only way to go.

No idea about the legality, but I would never put a 2-wheel trailer behind a bike in a 3rd world country. It is a pothole detector. I suspect that there is a good chance of it flipping over.

But in my avatar you can see a home-built 1-wheel trailer made from the chassis of an old farm bike. It followed us all around India and Nepal, then overland to Europe. It's the only way to go.

Thailand's roads are pretty OK though. I wouldn't use a trailer in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam or Myanmar. In those countries, you'd probably attract quite a curious crowd if you did. In Thailand and Malaysia, it's OK.

Yes, it's legal to tow a trailer. I see it from time to time. How else could you transport a boat, without a trailer?

You're supposed to attach a sign saying "trailer" in Thai to the back. Also, make sure the lights are hooked up and working.

It's not quite clear if the trailer needs to be registered - so far I haven't seen any registered trailers but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

I wonder if it's possible to mount a trailer hitch and drive with a trailer after a (big) bike in Thailand. I enjoy the extra lugage space on trips around, and have in Norway.
Anyone with experience, or tips? Is it legal at all?
There was a guy in Thepprasit road in Pattaya once, but I don't know if he is there anymore. Heard he was moving to another country.

It's fine but stick to main roads or alternatively, highways with little traffic. Make sure all the lights are working properly. I wouldn't use it on a day to day basis, but only when you really need it.

From what I've been told, the trailer is illegal (just like a side car) unless it was "factory installed".
I had a custom trailer built and it works fine but I have to unbolt the custom attachment when I go for the inspection/insurance/sticker. The usefulness vs hassle all depends on how often you are going to use it and where.

It's something I'd like to find out more information on. I'm sure trailers can be legally registered. I doubt I'll be getting one anytime soon, as my pickup can carry a bike or two no problems and I haven't got a boat over here (my family have one back in my home country).

Back
Top Bottom