"Do you want to sell the bike to me or not?" Tips at the dealer's shop

BlasteriK

Bikes
Kawasaki Versys 650 Black
Hi everybody and greetings from Koh Samui,

First of all I want to say BIG thanks to all information and feedback you guys are posting here, this forum is great and full of useful topics about riding in Asia!

As I am new here some facts about myself – not an experienced adventurer, nor a beginning rider, I live in Thailand for 2 years now, doing mostly short trips 2 – 7 days around Southern Thailand on middle-weight machines. I am definitely more traveller (sightseeing) than a racer and more „please somebody help me“ than engineering guru (will change soon!)

Here it goes, Ive decided to pull a trigger on 2015 Kawi Versys 650 and I am in the proces of negotiating the price.
I have found info on what documents to bring with you, pay cash, ATM only 20k baht, housing certificate etc. No info needed on this, however still being quite new to the culture, business habits and understanding I would appreciate some tips on how to, get the most out of the dealer.

Is the final price always negotiable and how much were you able to reduce the final price?
What are the extras, benefits which they pretend to give you extra but are always included? Facts? Experience?

In the West basically you pay more in cash, you get more accessories, insurance, tires,...language barrier is here always but I believe higher down payment (or full payment you offer, they should really „sell“ the bike to you, not that you ask for this and this and discount on this... – sure we have to do as well but they should provide options, give offers, extra warranty, etc.

Yes I am talking about the accessories. LT version not available in TH they say – true? False?
Does it really help if I take Thai friend with me?

I didn`t push them harder yet and any comments or suggestions on the selling proces from you would be higlhy appreciated!

Thanks and safe ride to everybody!

Cheers

Michal

Sorry, can't help you with regard to what you can get in terms of extras when buying a Versys 650 but there was a thread on here where people were talking about the attitude of the dealers with people who want to buy a bike but I can't find it at the moment. Basically don't expect anything more or less similar to what you would expect in the west when you buy a bike or car. Hope that other people remember this thread and can point you to it.

The dealer makes their money on the finance, the more the better.
Cash customers is something they don't like and most Farang customer get confused over this.

Happy riding.

The dealer makes their money on the finance, the more the better.
Cash customers is something they don't like and most Farang customer get confused over this.

Is it really like this?
So then they should be happy if I say I want to add the accessories into the final price and let them calculate 5% or 6% from all but no - not possible.

Also I believe that the "local" dealers employ just shop assistants who are able only to manage the selling process but they are far from being sales people to really make you feel this is the deal of the year.

Thais don't understand commerce very well. I remember contacting all the resort owners in the area and telling them that I have a coffee shop and take care of reservations of bungalows for foreigners. I told them: "Your place is empty. If I bring some tourists who pay 1,000B for a night, you get 800B and you give me 200B for bringing the tourists."
A very straight and forward deal, I act as the travel agent and get a 20% cut, yes or no. But it's not that easy here in Thailand! Most managers I approached didn't like my commission coming out of their pocket and suggested to charge 1,200B for a 1,000B bungalow - that way he's happy AND I get my cut! They didn't understand that the client wouldn't be happy and that I would look bad because of the additional charges. we talked back and forth, but in the end I said: "If you agree, I bring you customers and you make 800B per bungalow. If you don't like it, your place will stay empty, or at least less full."
What do you think how they decided?
Most bike selers say: "That;s the price on the tag there, that's what you pay." Maybe they throw in a chep helmet or a jacket that falls apart if you ride faster than 80 km/h, maybe you get 1,000B off as I did on my 145,000B bike, but generally they aren't very flexible like in western countries, they don't care much if they sell one or not!
And forget a cash discount: I asked for it and was told that it's cash only! TIT.

Back
Top Bottom