Current status on ITP (car passport) for Laos ??

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
First are they even still giving ITPs ?? Or just the letter ?? I know for bikes ITPs stopped years back but thought it continued for cars ??

Secondly, I recall some time in the last year or so Laos were demanding them ?? Has that been forgotten ?? Does it depend on which entry point ??

I crossed last year and needed the purple travel passport for the car, i recall someone got turned away for not having one at Chiang Khong.

Hmm OK fuck..

Another thing I need to get / think of.. They still issue the actual purple book on cars yeah ?? Its only the bikes they just do the letter.

Does the book last for the life of ownership of the car ?? Or is it time limited like an IDP ??

Purple book for cars is still required and letter for motorcycles, the purple book is like a passport for the car it stays with the car as proof of its identity and judging by the number of pages in the book never run's out unlike the letter which need's renewing every year with your Porabor sticker.

Thanks.. Never bothered with a book before, and always just winged it.. I bet my back teeth I would get in through Nan but best to just get one.

Purple book for cars is still required and letter for motorcycles, the purple book is like a passport for the car it stays with the car as proof of its identity and judging by the number of pages in the book never run's out unlike the letter which need's renewing every year with your Porabor sticker.
The purple book has 1 page (page 6) where it can be extended twice, so you need a new book every three year?
Together with the purple book we got a Vehicle Inspection Certificate which is valid for 1 year and a Vehicle Registration Certificate which does not mention a validity but does mention the Road Tax Renewal date.

The purple book has 1 page (page 6) where it can be extended twice, so you need a new book every three year?
Together with the purple book we got a Vehicle Inspection Certificate which is valid for 1 year and a Vehicle Registration Certificate which does not mention a validity but does mention the Road Tax Renewal date.

Correct. The book is initially valid for a year until the road tax renewal date and needs renewing every year. The same book can be used for up to 3 years (2 extensions) before a new one is needed. There is no fee payable to renew the book - can't remember if they charged another 20 Baht to renew the vehicle registration certificate, which they issue alongside it; for the initial document they did. I recall only receiving one of these documents not both.

Back
Top Bottom